205 Rear Beam... Rebuild???

cam85

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi there.
As i heard alot about 205s rear beam wearing out. Im starting to wonder if mine is wearing or worm out. Signs i heard are wheels doing this /-\ typ thing. Also not handling corners aswell as it used to. Ive owned the car for about 8 months and havent really noticed till i came back form being on hamilton for 2 months and it feels really taily when you drive in a straight line and steer from side to side (like your warming uo tyers on track days). The back seems not to follow as tight as it used to.?? With that if i do need a rebuild, where do i start and how much ETC.
Cheers Cam

Hi Cam, jack the rear up and check movement by trying to move the wheel fore and aft. Grab the wheel at the front and back and move backwards and forwards perhaps a bit up at the front. You will feel if there is wear in the bearings where the arfms go into the beam.

Depending on the extent of wear the repair is either replace the bearings or progressively more to a full rebuild. The bearings are quite cheap but won't fix it if either the stub or beam housing is worn.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Cam,

E & A motors in sydney rebuilt the rear ends. Also you can buy brand new rear ends out of the uk (very pricey tho).

Cheers Nick