205 Gti6

Bagel

Fellow Frogger
205gti6 >> is the sole reason they haven't been done that much just the relative recentness of the car (306gti6) therefore expense of the engine/ancilliaries? would it be as simple as an mi16 conversion? Do you need to implant extra sensors or anything?

P.S. Sorry if you saw this somewhere else, I was getting off track in the for sale section... whistle

From what I've heard, the key reason people don't normally go for the GTi6 motor is weight, it is quite a lot heavier than the Mi16 alloy-head 1.9 motor. I think there are also issues when trying to fit the GTi6 6-speed gearbox.

Check out this thread on the subject from the 205gtidrivers forum - <a href="http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=8336&hl=gti6&s=97c6e731acd6ce832cb4e6469a7f3795" target="_blank">click here</a>

Also, Goat on this forum (from Perth) is currently building a 205-Gti6 and I'm sure will be able to tell you all about it :) - see this thread: <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000222" target="_blank">click here</a>

Cheers
Steve

<small>[ 30 June 2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: WRX2PUG ]</small>

Nice, thanks Steve. Sorry thought I'd delved into the deep dark depths of Froggy Forum but obviously left my eyes back at the bottom of a beam and coke somewhere.

So basically gti6's are crap for a 205 because of the cast block, mi16's are the way to go, and Pommy's can't spell for CRAP!

Cheers! (OOOooooooh I'm going to be evil with my bank account when I get some money!) 2_cents 2_cents 2_cents mallet

Haha, well according to the English anyway. Good luck mate - how long to go?

Mmmmm 205 GTi6....good luck GOAT itl be unreal when its done :) I remember reading an article on a Mi16 Converted 205 and a GTi6 Converted one in Max Power Or REdline Magazine.

They said that the Gti6 powered 205 was as quick as a Boxster S ie 5 sec bracket 0-100. Thats just with the stock GTI6 motor.

Cant wait till your project is finished...get sum pics up for us :)

Hey Jeff, can't wait to have another hot 205 on Perth streets (and track :) )

I'll PM you as we must catch up
Cheers
Steve

The reason the gti6 is not so popular is as somebody has mentioned b4 is the weight, it really upsets the 205's great handling. Also its a
lot more difficult to do than a mi16 and if its running the 6 sp box it will have the turning circle of a Massey Ferguson.
All of the above and just to get a few more horses
and slightly more torque albeit in a heavier car.

Maybe i'm biased tho!! hehe jr

I always new the motor would be a bit heavier but I use heavier-than-stock Jamex springs up front which I hope will counteract that a bit. The extra weight was an issue I considered before I started but Ecosse assured me that a reasonable suspension setup would correct that. It will be a case of suck it and see! (love a set of AVO coilovers)

Turning circle won't be a problem as I will be using my original 5 speed (prefer the 5 sp gearing anyway). It took a bit of rooting around to change the clutch actuation from a push type (205) to pull type (306). I needed some bits from France plus custom bracketing and cable. Seems to be okay but won't really know until I get it on the road.

Without taking anything away from all the cool Mi16 motors in 205's out there, for me, the attraction of a challenge, uniqueness, newer technology and more power in standard trim far outweighed the negatives. The reassurance that it had been done before also weighed heavily in its favour.

I'll reserve my overall opinion of the project for when its finished(which should be pretty soon - touch wood).

Cheers to all

Goat