205 GTi vs. 306 S16

405dude

Fellow Frogger
Ive got 10k to spend on a pug hot hatch. which is better for the money, a series 3 205 GTi or a 306 S16 ?? Im not after any ricey cars or looking to modify. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
well, there has been similiar discusions compareing 205's and 306's on this forum if you want to do a search. an s16 is going to have slightly more power then a 205 GTI but the steering of a GTI is a lot more responsive then an S16 and there for makes it feel a little bit more race carish then an s16. if your looking to play around with the internals of a 205 a bit though i'd recomend a series 2 over a series 3 GTI. there again if your only looking to spend 10k then you won't find an s16 in good condition

Last edited:
you'd be looking at around 15k for a good s16 of which theres one for sale at the moment on this forum if your budget can stretch

Last edited:
not 2 mention that a GOOD s3 205 gti is also over 10 000 K.....although they r closer 2 your 10k figure....S16 is going 2 be hard 2 find (a good one anyway) for less than 13K.....remeber good xtees r still fetching around 10 K (94)....

so for 10k id say 205 gti....but i d rather pay more for a series 1 or 2 rather than 10k for s3....ie..S1 205gti for 10K would have to be close to mint....a mint s3 could be asking 15-18K......

maybe u should consider a good BX....basically mi16 motor (similar to s16) but much cheaper...or even an mi16.....yeah i know u want a hot hatch pug.....BUT we also like to uphold the market prices of our beloved pugs....

cheers

dino

:citroen: :peugeot: :renault:

You'll find the S16 much easier to live with as it's much better appointed, built better and just classier all around. I still maintain the my S16 has is far better interior to the touch and eye than the majority of cars around a similar market.

Conversly, the 205GTI is rawer and as such, a more involving drive with the potential to offer greater driver involvment provided you have the ability to steer it to the limit. Driver aside, in the majority of cases, the S16 will however be faster from A-B due to it's superior power.

orestes said:
there again if your only looking to spend 10k then you won't find an s16 in good condition

10K seems to be the money now. There was a '95 S16 (with leather) at a dealer in Castle Hill for $9500, with 130000km. It's gone now.

PeterT said:
10K seems to be the money now. There was a '95 S16 (with leather) at a dealer in Castle Hill for $9500, with 130000km. It's gone now.

thats a good price for a car thats great in its own rights

405dude said:
Doesent the s2 have less power than the s3? and no power steering? are they any good stock though?

i didn't recomend a series 2 over series 3 i only really said that if your going to do things like engine mods and/or anything else the series 2 is an easier car to work with. overall if your gonna keep it stock the S3 is probably a nicer car and afaik all the 205's sold in australia had power steering but somone might want to correct me on that

Last edited:
XTC206 said:
Depends ... fun and raw edged 205 .. v's still fun (a little less then the 205) but more "livable" 306.

- XTC206 -

i was compareing GTI's but yeah i agree the s16 is a little more liveable a little less fun with a little bit more power. thats not to say that you can't get similiar power out of a 205 GTI

Last edited:
I've owned both an S3 205GTi and a 306GTi6 now.

For $10K - get the 205.

Much better introduction to 'Hot Hatches' in the handling and performance stakes, although you'll have to be prepared for it being a bit fragile - nothing to do with it's age mind you - they were like that from new. The Series3 cars have 15inch alloys, power steering, and 90KW engines, as opposed to the 75KW of the S1 and S2 cars. The power steering is very nicely weighted, and still gives you good 'feel' for what the car is up to. The 15inch wheels are still one of my favourite wheels to this day, and the 90KW engine gives you more to start with, and as you say - you are not looking to modify, so the S3 205GTi is the best way to go.

Be prepared for a wait and to have to drive some distance to find the 'right' car though. Don't buy without full consideration of any individual car - it's not a huge buyers market, but you might need to go prepared to put down a deposit on the spot for the right car.

Cheers

PeterT said:

I'd be worried if a deal was too good to be true... sure KM are not too high and the price is excellent but if you need to put in $5000 major repairs and rust removal it's probably not worth it at that price...

N5GTi6 said:
Be prepared for a wait and to have to drive some distance to find the 'right' car though. Don't buy without full consideration of any individual car - it's not a huge buyers market, but you might need to go prepared to put down a deposit on the spot for the right car.

Cheers

so true - I've spent 11 weeks looking for a car since the moment I had enough money to spend... Seen lots of cars, missed out of a few good ones but my current car was the first 306 S16 I saw and immediately fell in love with the feel of driving it (even though most of the test drive was through some dodgey little one way streets at 50km/hour). I wanted to put a deposit down but before I did the guy who had a drive 10 mins before me pulled out $500 as a deposit. I was devastated... 2 car good car I missed out on under the same circumstances. But 3 days later the first buyer's credit application was declined and he withdrew from the sale so I got a call. It was a case of "Yeah thank you. I'll be there to pick it up in 10mins 30 secs"

I got an excellent buy but I've spent $2500 in repairs the first 12 months which was a little unexpected... be prepared for things like that. I do now have front brake rotors and rear tyres to worry about in the next month but that pretty much will bring my car up perfect :)

anway...
306 is what I'd recomend to start with. I find the 205 too small (I constantly find myself driving lots of friends around and in that respect I find the 306 better)

I've not driven a 205 so it's hard for me to give you a good comparison. I like the 205GTI a lot on paper (stats and the way they look) but I'm sure I'll get to experience one soon

slick

Ive owned both a s2 and a s3 205 and I prefer the s2 with 74kw as the gearing is shorter thus making the car much more zippier.

The s3 though is a nicer car to drive day in day out with power steer and the half leathers.

The best solution is a s3 with s2 diff ratio!

orestes said:
i didn't recomend a series 2 over series 3 i only really said that if your going to do things like engine mods and/or anything else the series 2 is an easier car to work with. overall if your gonna keep it stock the S3 is probably a nicer car and afaik all the 205's sold in australia had power steering but somone might want to correct me on that

No I think the S3 was the first 205 GTi with power steering, Australia or otherwise. Of course I'm not a died in the wool 205 expert, but I'm pretty sure that is right :)

There is a write up on the 205 Gti in Fridays Herald Sun Cars guide here in Melbourne for those who are interested. The article is too appreciative of it, lacking in a few areas.

Jensen

Jensen said:
There is a write up on the 205 Gti in Fridays Herald Sun Cars guide here in Melbourne for those who are interested. The article is too appreciative of it, lacking in a few areas.

Jensen
too appreciative of it? frankly, i think that article totally missed the point!:mad:

i was cringing and almost embaressed after reading it!

obviously they didnt drive the 205gti.

that chicks gti is a s1 - i thought all '89 gtis were s2.