205 GTI stop light comes on briefly when dropping from high revs

Justin B

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I've recently noticed that when I've been bubbling along in my 205 2-3000RPM and I come to a set of lights, I'll depress the clutch and let the revs fall to idle and brake to a gentle stop.

I've recently noticed that when the revs drop I sometimes to get all the red lights lighting up including the stop light for a brief moment. It's usually around when the revs are at 1000rpm on their way down.

The car then bumps the rev's up and the light goes out. The revs will then settle to between 1200rpm and 700rpm (I know... all over the place).

How can I tell if the light is coming on due to
Water Temp
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Voltage Drop.

Thanks
Justin

naa.... not unless u don't get it serviced regularly. all 205's need regular TLC maate

Sounds like an idol control problem, maybe thats why you finding your revs to all over the place, and as it falls to qucik the engine cuts off then it kicks in afain and the revs go up.

Hope you understand what im getting at

Cheers,

Mine does a similar thing. Coming to the lights and the revs drop, sometimes nearly stalling.All 205 have shit idol, cant do much about it. But STOP light comes on briefly when im conering real hard, or going around roundabouts.?? Might be because all the fluids are going to one side.

Hi Cam,

I used to get that a bit... stop light came on during hard cornering. It turned out that I had a non genuine oil dip stick which meant that while it 'REGISTERED' full, it was actually only showing about 1/4 above empty on a genuine oil dip stick.

So.. as the non genuine stick showed 1/2 full, it was below empty and as such, when cornering quickly... the oil pressure guage dropped quickly and the STOP light came on.

So... if this is happening to you... I'd look at your oil level

Justin

cam85 said:
Mine does a similar thing. Coming to the lights and the revs drop, sometimes nearly stalling.All 205 have shit idol, cant do much about it. But STOP light comes on briefly when im conering real hard, or going around roundabouts.?? Might be because all the fluids are going to one side.

Justin B said:
Hi Cam,

I used to get that a bit... stop light came on during hard cornering. It turned out that I had a non genuine oil dip stick which meant that while it 'REGISTERED' full, it was actually only showing about 1/4 above empty on a genuine oil dip stick.

So.. as the non genuine stick showed 1/2 full, it was below empty and as such, when cornering quickly... the oil pressure guage dropped quickly and the STOP light came on.

So... if this is happening to you... I'd look at your oil level

Justin

He justin,
Ive also replaced my dipstice and have done an oil change ECT. I havent pushed it hard yet cause i only got it back yeaterday but hopefully its fixed it.

Justin B said:
Hi Cam,

That couldn't have been good for the engine.

- XTC206 -