205 gti door issue

GtiRob

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi All, I'm having an issue with the drivers door of my 205 gti. I can't open the door.,either from outside or inside. Has anyone had this issue and if so could you shed some light on how I can fix it. Cheers.

Hi All, I'm having an issue with the drivers door of my 205 gti. I can't open the door.,either from outside or inside. Has anyone had this issue and if so could you shed some light on how I can fix it. Cheers.
Sorry can't help, but the passenger door on my GTi has same problem!!!

Whilst away on hols my VW side door suffered the same problem, I gave it a big thump from the inside with the back of my elbow and it came open (?). If you give a 205 a big thump it might break.

Is it the cold wet weather?

What do you mean you can't open it? Do you mean you can not unlock it, or do you mean once it is unlocked you can not pull it open?

If it doesn't unlock, it may be that the rods that are supposed to operate the lock are out of whack. You need to take the door card off from inside and see what's happening. Once you have access inside the door you can manually pull the release lever to open it.

I did have a funny moment some time ago with my wife's car back then when the door seal had glued itself to the frame and it took enough effort to pull the door open that I thought I was going to break the handle. That was a Mi16.

I've had a couple where the door will only open a certain distance, problem with the check strap.

not sure but something similar happended to me
sorry its a bit vague
it was ages ago, I think I had pushed one of the catches in the door mech
the door lock mech not the pillar

Took the door card off on the drivers door today, WD40'ed in behind the door lock and solenoid linkages and pushed all the linkages lock buttons and key lock around. Squirted some oil too. Everything works fine now and the passenger door opens too. Has not worked that well since I have owned the car. The wet weather must have corroded things up. :)

Yeap, Inox is the WD40 that doesn't congeal. There are other options but I think this one is the most easily available.
Bunnings, Bunnings & Bunnings. Available with and without lanolin.