205 gti dash explained

neil

Fellow Frogger
Some time ago I asked what the increments on the water and oil temp gauges where as I have no idea what the temps where doing. Well the Lad on 205gti forum have dug up pictures of 205gti dash’s from Europe with the numbers on. So if you ever wondered what temp your car is running have a look at the following link.

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/m-instrumentpanel.html

The other weekend at QR I was very worried about how hot the car was getting with 60deg track temp, but to my delight after finding this info the car was just over 90deg. Happy days :dance:

Neil :cheers:

Last edited:
thanks for the link, neil :) .

im also pretty chuffed at the knowledge that my precious 205 is running at _normal_ temperature :dance: .

and errr who wouldve figured that out about the petrol gauge?

is the s3 panel numbered as per pic in the link?

Mi-16 dashes have those markings on them for the temp
would it be possible to use the guages from a wrecked Mi-16 and fir them into a 205 maybe ?
just a thought
but it means destroying an Mi-16 dash
either that or order the guages from peugeot

oops, ahhh the fuel gauge in my s1 is marked but the halfway point is dead centre unlike the pic in the link.

From memory the centre of the dash lights (from the bottom) go Parking lamps, head lamps, low coolant indicator, battery, hand brake, STOP light.

the other thing 2 the right of it tells u when to change gear!!!

Thanks for this information.

I notice that i'm usually between the 70/90 mark rarely above the middle of the two (80 degrees)

However, on a hot summers day (a few weeks back) I was on the freeway doing 120km/h @ around 4000RPM (BE1 gearbox) and it climbed to be just able the 90 degrees mark. I ensured that I was getting clean air by switching lanes and getting out of another cars slip stream. The temp continued to rise.

At this point, I backed off and slowed to 90km/h and the temp returned to around 85 degrees. I completed the rest of the trip to wollongong at 80-90km/h Once in wollongong, the air temp outside dropped atleast 10 degrees and I could then push the 205 again without the temp getting too high.

My question is : at what point can I push the car too? I noitced that inside a 206GTI the temp guage has a 140 degree marker on it.

Thanks

Justin

Justin B said:

I notice that i'm usually between the 70/90 mark rarely above the middle of the two (80 degrees)

However, on a hot summers day (a few weeks back) I was on the freeway doing 120km/h @ around 4000RPM (BE1 gearbox) and it climbed to be just able the 90 degrees mark. I ensured that I was getting clean air by switching lanes and getting out of another cars slip stream. The temp continued to rise.

At this point, I backed off and slowed to 90km/h and the temp returned to around 85 degrees. I completed the rest of the trip to wollongong at 80-90km/h Once in wollongong, the air temp outside dropped atleast 10 degrees and I could then push the 205 again without the temp getting too high.

My question is : at what point can I push the car too? I noitced that inside a 206GTI the temp guage has a 140 degree marker on it.

Thanks

Justin

on the track in my205gti/mi16 with outside temp of 35deg and track tepm of 60 the car was run flat out for 9laps and sat between 90 and 100deg with no water loss or any sign of problems.

Neil

Hi Justin,

Temperture also depends on multipul factors. Such as how well your fans and water pump is working, how good your radiator is. I'm sure neils car would have new stuff so it can stay at an low temp longer.

Cheers Nick

Justin B said:

Thanks

Justin