205 GTi Auto running but with trans fluid leak

Aprilia

Fellow Frogger
Hello all
finally drove the 87 Gti today, now has the DKZ engine, loom and motronic with 4 speed Auto trans.
Starts easily, idles and rides nicely with the Eibachs and Yellow Konies on soft setting, after a 2km test drive I noticed a fast dripping trans fluid leak " flywheel photo ". I had replaced the diff and main seals, purchased from a bearing supplier, by cross referencing numbers or dimmensions for the main "leaking seal", ( the euro parts sellers couldn't find a listing for them). Before I pull the trans I noticed a plug that I haven't connected, could it have anything to do with the leak or is it maybe just a switch to restrict starting to N or P., also the fluid level when hot is about 5mm above the max level on the dip stick.
Thanks Doug

Canon october 2012 538.jpgIMG_0959.jpgIMG_0958.jpgCanon october 2012 551.jpgCanon october 2012 550.jpg

Last edited:
Driveshaft seals are the same as the manual gearbox ones.

If it was me I would buy the seal on the torque converter from peugeot. When I do the manual boxes I always use a factory seal on the input shaft. All other aftermarket ones I have tried leak. Only a guess but feel this maybe the same.

You will like the auto, they outrun a manual car to about 100 Km/h

Canon october 2012 635.jpgHello Adrian we spoke (on line) a while back, you had done this conversion for your sister. I had a bad feeling about this seal because it was hard to find, well I will give Peugeot a call.
But yes it felt pretty peppy, the seats in it were trashed so I dropped in a pair of recaros from a mid 80s turbo Diahatsu, perfect fit, very comfortable and good forward tilt.
Thanks for the info Doug

Looks like an interesting conversion Doug.
My auto Si is up for engine and auto box oil change tomorrow so I will see if I can find what that plug is for.

Adrian I would be interested in your comments please on the suitability and durability of the ZF auto for use in motor sport.
I'm mainly interested in sprints and kahana cross so off the line performance not so crtitical.
Guess it wouldn't be much use for gymkanas with the need to pause between first and reverse.

Thanks
Paul.

Hello Paul
the conversion was easy once I had sourced the parts the S3 loom took a while. I also dropped in power steering from an Si while the engine bay was empty, so it is a very easy car to drive. I have named my engine installation style " the walking the plank method " I had the engine and trans on a work bench on castors and it seemed to be the easiest way to get it over the engine bay.
Doug

Attachments

• Canon october 2012 610.jpg
    Canon october 2012 610.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 409
  • Canon october 2012 615.jpg
    Canon october 2012 615.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 411
  • Canon october 2012 621.jpg
    Canon october 2012 621.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,158
  • Canon october 2012 545.jpg
    Canon october 2012 545.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
There is a 205 Si auto amongst the growing band of motorsport Sis in the PCCV.
It seemed to go well in the dirt motorkhana at Ballarat a week ago.
Actually got quickest time in the first test.
Graham

Looks like an interesting conversion Doug.
My auto Si is up for engine and auto box oil change tomorrow so I will see if I can find what that plug is for.

Adrian I would be interested in your comments please on the suitability and durability of the ZF auto for use in motor sport.
I'm mainly interested in sprints and kahana cross so off the line performance not so crtitical.
Guess it wouldn't be much use for gymkanas with the need to pause between first and reverse.

Thanks
Paul.

Hello Graham I would be interested in that event, my trans fluid leak would also keep the dust down for the other competitors.
Doug

That event will happen again in 2014, plenty of others in the meantime though.
Maybe you need to join PCCV?
Graham

Hello Graham I would be interested in that event, my trans fluid leak would also keep the dust down for the other competitors.
Doug

Is a 205 GTI top strut plate the same on the 306 ?

Hello all I've had a busy week,
Pulled the Auto trans and replaced the main seal $24 at European Auto Imports, engine runs with no leak. ( messy job )
Also removed my front suspension and replaced with stock S3 GTi suspension, I was a little heavy handed and snapped 2 top strut bolts so I'm looking for a 205 top plate or does the 306 strut top fit ?
Tonight I will attempt to adjusting the rear suspension to the stock height and install the stock S3 rear shocks.
I thought I would try the stock suspension that I pulled from a S3 with 155,000km and if its good then great, if not I will put my yellow konies all round and see how that feels.
Doug
P.S. I have more wood than car stands.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Don't be too hard on yourself. Those crappy little studs snap way too easily. I snapped them too when I took off the old strut tops. If you're bogged down, I would suggest first trying to check if they're only pressed in (can't remember) and you might be able to replace them. If they are welded, I guess you could drill them out and just use a normal bolt (they're 7mm from memory). If you're not happy with either of those, just buy the top strut kit and replace (your mounts might be buggered anyway). The kit comes with the top plate and bearing too and some other hardware.

Last edited:
I think for now I will drill out and replace the bolts.
The adjustables do look spiffy, but then the added cost of a clear perspex bonnet to show them off.
Doug

Also, you need to buy a top mounting to go with these and not sure how much adjustement you get if you don't run coil overs.
The house sold, so the removal job will be on in earnest, let me know when you want to come and get the auto box.
Graham

I think for now I will drill out and replace the bolts.
The adjustables do look spiffy, but then the added cost of a clear perspex bonnet to show them off.
Doug

Hey Aprilia, i am thinking of doing an Auto conversion on my CTI. Whats involved in terms of hardware?
does the gearbox have its own ECU?

No ECU.

You will need the gear lever parts of an auto si.

I got all the parts when I did my sisters car off a jap import 1.9 auto. It had a smaller throttle body than the manual version

I would chase an auto Si so that i could take all that i need off it, im thinking that that would be the best way to do this!

what would happen to the idle speed of the manual motor i have? Would i need to increase the idle speed?

How about installimg a quaife diff? Can that be done on an auto box?