205 GTI 1992 - warmup hesitation

BruceC405

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Hello knowledgeable folk,
Has anyone had a hesitation problem with the engine of a 205 GTI while it is just warming up. The engine starts fine and runs smoothly (!and it has enough power when up to temperature), but when cool you need to be careful not to stall it as you drive off. Then once warm all is fine! The plugs are new and it is an old engine of course.
My hunch is that it is a temperature sensor somewhere or maybe the fuel injection is faulty. I don't have experience with either of these (so far) so maybe it's time to get acquainted! But first I'd be grateful if you can give any suggestions or guidance.
Bruce

Not necessarily.
The FI system used on these cars isn't the smartest and they are said to have had a rather hesitant idle from new especially when cold because of the AFM construction. The flap does not have zero mass so does not move instantly to keep airflow smooth.

It is entirely possible that when you get on the throttle with a cold engine the flap is too slow to open up and the engine stalls.

Add to that the auto choke, which by now is probably coked up and you have a couple of variables to consider.

The vacuum capsule on the dizzy is next and they have been known to start leaking for whatever reason with age.

On my car, the injectors are getting clogged if it sits for a while and start up can be a little bit difficult and then has the same symptoms you describe while the engine is warming up.

These would be my first check points.

Full disclosure, I have taken out my air enrichment device (choke) because the original was not working anymore and the three s/h units I bought were cactus too. I have tried to repair them but it didn't work so I removed the whole thing altogether. In our climate I don't find it necessary, I just have to baby the throttle a bit on start up.

Is it Motronic or Jetronic?

my Peugeot 206 gti 180 started doing this after i replaced the oil, filters and spark plugs. if i let the fuel pump finish priming before i attempted ignition it was usually ok. Sure, I couldn't just jump in and be gone in 2 seconds, but it done a good enough job. if it did play up at all, I would just turn it off and start again, this time it would work perfectly. I have no idea why it was worse after it was serviced, but I couldnt help but feel that it was something to do with the fuel delivery on start up?

Thanks guys for your information which I'll share and discuss with my mate. Will let you know what we try and if we can improve it a bit. The thing is it is nice and smooth once up to temperature I'll let you know also if it is Motronic or Jetronic. The car was a field-find and after some money and work we are very pleased with it overall. Dare I say the obvious, it's a lot of fun to drive.