205 Front Strut mod

run205

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
after hearing about substituting the 405 parts into the 205 strut I went out and bought a set to test
this was suggested on some earlier post that I couldn't find anymore

anyway, the first two pics are the regular 205 parts (one metal cup, one rubber donut) and the last one is the single overmoulded 405 part that replaces them
there are several other parts that make up the complete strut assembly but didn't photo them

after taking everything apart I decided not to use the new part, my old 205 rubber bits were a bit squished so replaced them with a used set in better condition
the 405 parts fitted all ok and looked like they'd work fine but are on the shelf for now
after comparing the parts in the flesh just wasn't convinced the 405 part would be an improvement
plus didn't want to try the new bits, find they were a bit harsher and have to do it all again
went into the local suspension shop for the safety of their proper spring compressor machine

so my findings are not conclusive, but the pics show what's goin on if anyone's interested

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 1A.jpg
    1A.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 8.30.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 8.30.02 PM.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 115
405 S2 bits are way better. I bought a 205 which had a much better ride than usual, no clunking. Found out later that it had the 405 tops and have used them ever since.

This is the problem I am facing with 7 year old BakerBM top mounts after 10,000kms or so and a long time sitting doing nothing. They were rock solid when first fitted.

sorry bout the slow response flock..
Were your old ones actually clunking?
not as far as I know , haven't seen that before
but will have a look out for it see if there's any movement
not used the 405 parts yet (may soon though) but am getting some odd sounds
and just looking to see if its my struts as everything else seems pretty snug

just took off my LF strut to double check it
had a good look around, shakin everything see if there was any movement anywhere
the ball joint, droplink, steering arm, wishbone, strut clamp etc all sound and look good
so put it all back together, drove it every which way to try and get any odd sounds
seems all tight, no clunks

It's very satisfying bringing these cars back from the ashes, going for that test drive and finding it feels and sounds like a car again.

after hearing about substituting the 405 parts into the 205 strut I went out and bought a set to test
this was suggested on some earlier post that I couldn't find anymore

anyway, the first two pics are the regular 205 parts (one metal cup, one rubber donut) and the last one is the single overmoulded 405 part that replaces them
there are several other parts that make up the complete strut assembly but didn't photo them

after taking everything apart I decided not to use the new part, my old 205 rubber bits were a bit squished so replaced them with a used set in better condition
the 405 parts fitted all ok and looked like they'd work fine but are on the shelf for now
after comparing the parts in the flesh just wasn't convinced the 405 part would be an improvement
plus didn't want to try the new bits, find they were a bit harsher and have to do it all again
went into the local suspension shop for the safety of their proper spring compressor machine

so my findings are not conclusive, but the pics show what's goin on if anyone's interested
Was the part number for that 503726?

yeah Graham's got ya,
got mine at Serie04 , their part number is just the peugeot number plus S04
503726 S04
also didn't check if EAI has em in stock

too, and, also..

you were asking about rear shock options
in case you absolutely can't find a used OE set, Serie04 have some options
KYB and Record, both look good

yeah Graham's got ya,
got mine at Serie04 , their part number is just the peugeot number plus S04
503726 S04
also didn't check if EAI has em in stock
EAI had them for less than $20.

I bought a pair of 205 SI cars in Sydney a few years back.
The one good one i drove back with a permit and it was a delight to drive.
Surprisingly good to drive on the highway.
I wish so many people had not wrecked them or broke them up for a few parts.
You wonder with the fuel economy , it must be close to 5litre/100klm?
In so many way Peugeot got it right.

I get high 6s for economy but then I drive them right on the speed limit or slightly over.
I'm getting my spare car on the road at the moment, I'll then take the one I'm presently using off the road and give it a comprehensive makeover. I really can't see myself driving anything else in the future.

Thought I’d revive the thread for a second for reference. I got around to changing out my BakerBM rubbers.

You can see where they deform at the bottom where they sit on the bearing cup.

7C1C40CC-6471-48DF-A5E2-2732F4F84F72.jpeg

This is them next to a new 405 assembly.
A4BA1FCC-AE3D-40A7-99B5-E0257AE75238.jpeg

good one flock
have you driven around with the modified struts yet ? how's it go ?
(still got my 405 parts in a box for use later on)