205 exhaust upgrade

Exhaust

Hey M8

Did you get my PM. If not look at the magnex range. Mine is 2" only drones under 2500rpm. After that it sings. And it has a lifetime warrenty. Stainless steel. Mine cost 1300. Not to bad.

The exhaust is fully stainless steel, mmm, years ago a friend had a s/s system fitted and it droned badly, replaced the s/s piping with mild steel (kept s/s muffler and resonator) and the droning went away. S/s is high-tensile, give it a flick and it gives a nice "ting" so with all the exhaust gas flowing through causing the exhaust to drone. It's different from car to car but may worth a look. :cheers:

cam85 said:
Hey M8

Did you get my PM. If not look at the magnex range. Mine is 2" only drones under 2500rpm. After that it sings. And it has a lifetime warrenty. Stainless steel. Mine cost 1300. Not to bad.

Cam85, do you have a S3 Green 205 running Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs? Did Paul V fit the exhaust?

Hopscotch if u're after some more horse and thinking of getting it from a new exhaust set up i reckon u're wating u're time dude.... the 205 has good flow from the plembum and exhaust maifold. U can't buy extractors that are gonna make a huge diff.. so the best thing 2 do is:

1. chop the cat converter out $50 (no receipt)
2. spent andother $50 on a K&N pod filter and do a home cold air intake set up
3. Spend all the money u saved on getting a cam grind on u're standard cam.. ask 4 the biggest lift and duration they can do on the standard cam and bob's u're uncle!

I received your pm cam85 (thanks), I'll definately look at the Magnex range.

Hey Luca, the K&N filter was the next mod (still haven't finished installing the stereo), but I'm not sure what you mean by biggest lift on the standard cam (sorry I'm mechanically challenged).

I was really interested in your mild steel info pugsy- I haven't heard/read that before.

Brow.. do know the cam (a.k.a the stick) well it sits in your head and opens and closes the the valves.

The biggest lift on the standard cam means u're gonna have a higher lift when the cylinder is travelling downwards taking the fuel air mixture into the bore. This increases a lot of factors on the inlet stroke making the eng. more efficient as the flow has been incr'd.

The duration is the time the thing is open for which means more juice and air mix in the cylider when it goes bang! There fore more horse... yeayyyyy!

Hey scotchopper is your 205 dark green with the twin tips, i have seen such a 205 in the Blackwood, Eden hills, Marion areas a few times, is that you.

Yeah the mild steel is along shot but it did stop the droning in my friends car just might be worth investigating further that's all.

If you have'nt already had a look go to www.pumaracing.co.uk everyone on Aussiefrogs knows about it heaps of honest info about the 205 Gti's engine and exhaust and what is possible, probably worth a read before you make any more mods. :cheers:

Hi pugsy, good call on my little green pug. Toot and wave next time you see me & I'll try spot a fellow Frogga. I hadn't heard of pumaracing so thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the mini mechanical lesson Luca.

Do you guys mean one of these? :D
wholeview.jpg

121-2153_IMG-medium.jpg

:pugplak:
-- DJ

Hey Scotchopper you can't miss me graphite grey with the plates PUG-205 :D

Hey pugsy, yeah I've seen you cruising around. :) I nearly bought those plates in '96 when I got my 1st 205 GTI (RIP AA205D). Thanks for the pumaracing link... wish I had read this $1100 ago!!!

DJ-Studd what's your opion on the Remus muffler? I know they're expensive but do they sound good & provide any power gains? Have you got b4 & after dyno sheets?

If you want a Remus check out www.pugsport.com.au he is Adelaide based and has Remus mufflers going for about $425 I think, not sure if there is any left but worth checkin out if you want to get a Remus.

Yeah could not believe those plates were still available :eek: lucky i guess :roflmao:

Thanks again pugsy, I hadn't heard of this place either (what rock have I been hiding under??) I'll give them a ring on Monday.

My reason for changing the exhaust is to ELIMINATE the drone. A hp increase would be nice but not my priority right now.