205 16v Conversions

matt205

Fellow Frogger
Hi Fellow 205-16v'ers,

Just interested hearing about some of the current 16v conversions out there. Particulalry interested in seeing pictures of installs, as well as basic details of setups ie ECU, intake, exhaust etc.

Mine is just about complete (it's only taken 8 years but that's another story!) and I'm looking forward to see how it compares to my everyday drive Clio Sport.

How many of us out there are there now?

Regards,
Matt

matt205 said:
Hi Fellow 205-16v'ers,

Just interested hearing about some of the current 16v conversions out there. Particulalry interested in seeing pictures of installs, as well as basic details of setups ie ECU, intake, exhaust etc.

Mine is just about complete (it's only taken 8 years but that's another story!) and I'm looking forward to see how it compares to my everyday drive Clio Sport.

How many of us out there are there now?

Regards,
Matt

I'm just starting on a 16V engine for my 205 race car. It will retain the current Haltech ECU but with the addition of throttle bodies. I haven't sorted out the cold air intake yet, and like you looking for clues. I've seen plenty with Webers that suck hot air but that can't be ideal.

So you're finally getting somewhere, is your mate from Geelong still involved with it?
Cant remember his name but I bought a powerchip off him about 5-6 years ago when you guys were still planning it all....i remember the gold plated manifold on your site.

Good luck with it.

PeterT said:
I'm just starting on a 16V engine for my 205 race car. It will retain the current Haltech ECU but with the addition of throttle bodies. I haven't sorted out the cold air intake yet, and like you looking for clues. I've seen plenty with Webers that suck hot air but that can't be ideal.

Peter

How often do Haltech systems come up in the Sydney trading post as this is my next step, right after I get a baffled sump and bigger brakes.

I'm planning on fitting a cage in the new year and that will just about see my little pug ready for some serious tarmac rallies.

Matt

I was interested in what rallies you have been competing in to-date and how the engine change will effect future rallies or the class of cars you will now be competing against.

Have a look at my install post. I found the wiring the hardest to do out of the whole conversion.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7885

Neil

Last edited:
neil said:
Peter

How often do Haltech systems come up in the Sydney trading post as this is my next step, right after I get a baffled sump and bigger brakes.

Neil

Not very often, but they do appear occasionally. Just keep searching for any E6 model. Don't be afraid of buying second hand as they can be repaired in Sydney, and the sensors are GM parts.

We'll be starting on our throttle bodies shortly, your right about the weber thing sucking hot air. We've got some pretty good ideas on this one and I'd be happy to share our findings. One advantage of the Pug engine is the intake being in the front this will make getting cool air in there much easier. We're also making a custom exhaust, inclsuing manifold. It's important to get intake and exhaust lenghts right, makes a huge difference. One thing we all have in our favour is that Peugeot have done a fantastic job with the head and valve sizes in particular. Compare valve sizes with most other "High Performance" 4's and you'll see what I mean.

In terms of rallies that I've done, the main one thus far is the Grand Prix Rally. This is a really good place to start as it's not a full on Tarmac Rally like Tassie. IT's a good combination of road speed navigation and speed events like Lap Sprints, Hillclimb and Autotests. It's also a great social event. In terms of mods and classes etc it does make a difference. I will now be in Modified class for the Grand Prix Rally but there is a real question mark over whether the car would be accepted for Targa Tassie, by my reading of the rules it's no longer eligible. There are other events though, I'll be doing the East Coast Classic next year and possibly Targa NZ as well. On top of these I'll be competing in Improved Production racing an doing some sprints, hillclimbs and motorkhanas. All in all a busy year.

We did the 2002 Grand Prix Rally and finished 2nd in class (Under 2 litre) behind a Lotus Elise Sport 130 and ahead of 4 or 5 Honda S2000's, a couple of BMW enetered 318ti's and some other pretty quick things. We finished 50th outright (out of around 180 cars) we had more WRX's behind us than in front of us as well as many many Porshce's, Ferrari's and other exotics.

I also competed in the NSW Hillclimb Championship in 1995 in my Standard 1990 GTi, I even managed to finish 2nd in class up at Bathurst which was very cool. The same car held the under 2.5l road registered lap record at Wakefield Park for nearly 2 years with just suspension mods.

Regards,
Matt

Matt

It should be good in the next couple of years as it is my intention to start to compete in many of the same events with my pug. As far as Targa Tassie you possibly could run the pug with the mi16 but you would be running outright modified and up against Jimmy in his German Turd. It all comes down to if they you want you there or not?

Matt do you have any pictures of your cage design as this in next on my wish list in the new year and I'm keen to see what design people use.

I look forward to sharing all possible info regarding the Mi16 and future possible power gains.

Peter
Thanks for the model number and I'll keep an eye out for one in the future. If however you see one could you drop me a line as I will be keen to get my hands on one. What should I pay?

Neil
:cheers:

neil said:
Matt

What should I pay?

Neil

E6 $400
E6A $500
E6S $600
E6K $1000

that's for the ECU only. You'll need to add a harness connector ($150), MAP sensor ($70) and allow $40 for other pins/connectors that you may need. The Mi16 harness is very similar to the Haltech harness, so it's a fairly simple cut and shut job on the ECU end.

Last edited:
neil said:
Matt

It should be good in the next couple of years as it is my intention to start to compete in many of the same events with my pug. As far as Targa Tassie you possibly could run the pug with the mi16 but you would be running outright modified and up against Jimmy in his German Turd. It all comes down to if they you want you there or not?

Matt do you have any pictures of your cage design as this in next on my wish list in the new year and I'm keen to see what design people use.

I look forward to sharing all possible info regarding the Mi16 and future possible power gains.

Peter
Thanks for the model number and I'll keep an eye out for one in the future. If however you see one could you drop me a line as I will be keen to get my hands on one. What should I pay?

Neil

Your right and as entries have been oversubscribed in the past few years the chances of them accepting a "lowly" 205 is unlikely

The car will be running this weekend, once I can get it out in the sun I'll take some pics and forward them. Probably a good idea to shoot me an e-mail in a couple of weeks to remind me.

Yeah, it's important to share so we all don't make the same mistakes!

two-oh-philic said:
I've got a pretty freaked out question... If i built a T16 from scratch, would i be allowed to compete in it? Or basically just put it on a track?

Man if you build T16 from scratch, I'll bear your children!...... ;) I guess if it was true to the original, yep you could run it.

There's a guy in NZ thats runs an ex-works T16 in Targa NZ, here's a link to the pics to prove it http://www.groundsky.co.nz/carpix.asp?EVENTCODE=0312&CARNUM=905&WID=1115

There's always a couple for sale at www.carclassic.com as well, easier than building one from scratch.

Mind you, I have been toying with the idea of doing a mid engine, rear drive conversion on a nice clean 87 body shell that I have collecting dust. Powered by either a twin turbo MI-16 or 406 SV V6..........hmmmmm oversteer!

205 Mi16 pics

Hi Matt, sounds like you've been doing pretty well with your standard 205 so you should be unstoppable with a Mi16 under the bonnet :)

Anyway, here is an engine bay pic - I have several from different angles if it helps, just let me know. From what I've seen, beyond the basics each install is different and depends on what you're using the car for. As an example I wanted a light battery as low as possible in the engine bay.

EngineBay03.jpg

Let me know if you want more pics

Cheers
Steve

WRX2PUG said:
Hi Matt, sounds like you've been doing pretty well with your standard 205 so you should be unstoppable with a Mi16 under the bonnet :)

Anyway, here is an engine bay pic - I have several from different angles if it helps, just let me know. From what I've seen, beyond the basics each install is different and depends on what you're using the car for. As an example I wanted a light battery as low as possible in the engine bay.

Let me know if you want more pics

Cheers
Steve
We have managed to upset a few people with far more expensive and suposedly "quicker" cars, can't wait to se how the 16v performs.

Steve your car is a credit to you, well done. I would love to see more pics of the engine bay and also the car generally. Did you do this conversion or did you buy it already converted. I used to speak regulalry with a guy in Perth who did a conversion lost touch a few years ago though.

matt205 said:
I used to speak regulalry with a guy in Perth who did a conversion lost touch a few years ago though.

That would be Jeff Ash, he was the previous owner.

Andreas said:
That would be Jeff Ash, he was the previous owner.

Ah Ha!

That was a lovely car, I drove it when it had the 8v when I was over in Perth for business some time ago. Great to see the car has gone on to an aprreciative owner.

Andreas, I forgot to reply to your previous post sorry :blush: Yep the Geelong connection you mentioned is correct. Mario, from Geelong, rebuilt the engine that is finally in the car. He's also a first class navigator and will be sitting next to me during the GP Rally in March.

yep Mario, got the powerchips and plenty of advice from him when i'd just got the car nearly 6 years ago.

more pic links..

Hi Matt,

Andreas is correct, Jeff was the original owner of the car and did a lot of the original base development which made my job a lot easier. It had a few different motors during it's life including a hot Richard Longman 8v in it for a while which apparently blew up and then Jeff put in the Mi16.

I've really just built on this, cleaning up things along the way. I spent a fair bit of time & money redoing the wiring and computer as the original install (company will remain anonymous) made quite a mess and it badly needed a new ECU. We also moved the injectors to the top of the TBs as they were firing into the butterflies.

The other work has all been handling and suspension related. When I first got the car and did an autokhana it was very unstable and taily especially under brakes and quite difficult to drive quickly. We later found out that the Spax coilovers were dying and finally they bent after a few kerb incidents so we rebuilt the suspension from scratch with custom strut-legs (with inbuilt camber) and fully adjustable Konis - what a difference!!

I've probably posted them before and have changed a few things since (like I went back to an original white grill as it is more like the T16) but here are a few more pics of the car.

Hey JR - haven't seen pics of your car and engine bay for a while - that must be looking pretty sweet - certainly sounds like it's going well :)

205 Mi16 Front
205 Mi16 Right Quarter
205 Mi16 Engine Bay before-after

One of the other Mi16 installs that I was very impressed with was Martin in the UK from 205gtidrivers forum (crf450). Here is a pic of his engine bay:
Martin's engine bay

and best of all.. Driving it like you mean it :D

It's alive! :dance:

My 16v started for the first time today, after an initial missfire caused by a dodgy fuel injector plug, it runs just beutifully!

This has been a long time coming so I'm kinda happy! I think I need a :adrink:

Steve, yep i'll get some piccies done up but i wouldnt have aclue how to post
them onto here as you have done...some Queenslanders like me are a bit slow to grasp technology LOL
Just out of interest she goes in next week to have a 8 angle valve seats job.....
why bother with 3 LOL

Adding images :)

Hi John, wow I've never even heard of 8 angle valve seats - What are you trying to get under 14's now? :)

Actually adding images is really easy with this new forum software now. When you post a new message or say reply to this one, have a look at the bottom of the message area just before the Submit Reply or Preview Reply buttons. You will now notice a section titled "Attach Files" and next to that a link called Manage Attachments. If you click on Manage Attachments it will pop up a window and allow you to very simply Browse your hard disk and add (attach) any digital photos or images and these will then get inserted right into your message.

Hope this helps and happy New Year to everyone

Cheers
Steve