203 o-ring problem...

peter munro

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
l was going to replace the o-ring in the part that holds the speedo cable to the back of the gear box, l have 1951 203 & there is no o-ring in this model.
can l use a later one that has an o-ring, will it fit ???

DSCN0691.jpg

I can’t find a change in box/case/housing/support corresponding to 1252821, when the ‘oil-seal‘commences , if that helps?
FDF833F3-5922-4F74-AC19-34F9C46D4149.jpeg
ACB73E21-7F19-46FF-9182-AC757CEA2252.jpeg

Last edited:
The drive on the right with the narrow gear is for a C2 (all synchro) box. I doubt that it would fit due to the placement of the gear and the lack of offset. However, the factory parts book shows drives for the earlier box with O-rings. These must have been fitted to cars between yours and June 1954 when the C2 box was introduced. Try looking for one.

The drive on the right with the narrow gear is for a C2 (all synchro) box. I doubt that it would fit due to the placement of the gear and the lack of offset. However, the factory parts book shows drives for the earlier box with O-rings. These must have been fitted to cars between yours and June 1954 when the C2 box was introduced. Try looking for one.

thanks Steve, Commerciale & 2CV Daivid...
the drive on the right came out of an old gearbox l had in the shed. it's an old cast iron gearbox...
yes that would work (machine a new groove).
the drive on the right came out of this...

DSCN0693.jpg

hi Dale yes you can take out the speedo drive without taking off the housing.
pete...
Peter . do you or anyone else on here have any tips on how to withdraw the speedo drive , I am having problems with a C3 gearbox , instruction is to remove speedo drive but on this box seems to be a very tight fit - jammed in ? , previously have had no dramas in pulling out the drive in other boxes. Set screw has been removed !

Peter . do you or anyone else on here have any tips on how to withdraw the speedo drive , I am having problems with a C3 gearbox , instruction is to remove speedo drive but on this box seems to be a very tight fit - jammed in ? , previously have had no dramas in pulling out the drive in other boxes. Set screw has been removed !
I have the same issue. Be interested to see replies.

thanks Steve, Commerciale & 2CV Daivid...
the drive on the right came out of an old gearbox l had in the shed. it's an old cast iron gearbox...
yes that would work (machine a new groove).
the drive on the right came out of this...

View attachment 225837
Hmm that looks like an early C1 box. The Synchro C2 has a much longer alloy housing.

I have the same issue. Be interested to see replies.

hi Dale, Restorer & Dano,
l hope this helps get that drive out...
l made a tool so l could turn the drive in the housing, then l used a innerBearing puller slide hammer, it came out easy...

Attachments

• DSCN0105.jpg
    DSCN0105.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 57
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 65
hi Dale, Restorer & Dano,
l hope this helps get that drive out...
l made a tool so l could turn the drive in the housing, then l used a innerBearing puller slide hammer, it came out easy...
the cog on the drive is offset, when you turn the drive it loosens the drive cog to the gearbox...

Attachments

• DSCN0111.jpg
    DSCN0111.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 46