2022 Peugeot Landtrek Ute - Possible Australian launch!

iLaguna

Fellow Frogger
For anyone interested .... A JV with Chinese group Changan Automotive and now also built in RHD in South Africa, the Peugeot Landtrek Ute is due for a major upgrade this year and exports from South Africa to Australia are on the agenda!

Competitive sector but the Chinese utes have established a position on the Australian market where buyers must balance low purchase price against dire retained values. Bin bodies only, don't offer trays so demand is limited in the farm market. Irrelevant really because there isn't a rural dealer network for Peugeot anymore. Sth Africa may have improved but was not known for quality builds. Pricing would have to be competitive, well below the established Japanese brands and close to the Chinese otherwise it would be another failed Inchcape venture with minimal sales made on subsidised deals.

I doubt the sales people have farmers in mind. The number of these vehicles around the city shows where the market is. If it is pitched as Chinese and priced that way it may do well in parts of Sydney, where there are many Chinese commercials now.

Yes, the urban executives who run Inchcape have turned their back on rural areas. Never mind the boom times, that Ag is bringing in 80billion this year and country dealerships can't cope with the orders coming in. The Toyota dealer in Naracoorte is holding orders for 60 HiLuxes. Good one, Inchcape, you know where the sales are. Selling the same number of Peugeots as in 1955. The state dealers in the 1950's didn't turn their backs on the country, established Australian wide networks and they were sold and serviced all over Australia. A city Chinese ute with a fancy nameplate and an inflated price to match, what a winner.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are as many from the middle kingdom in NSW as there are farmers. The existing imports are well supported by them - familiar brands at a good price.

Why would a vehicle made in China (or South America) be exported from South Africa to Australia?

Given the cost and shortage of sea freight at the moment it probably proves that someone inspired by Jaques Tati is running the Oceania desk at Stellantis.

Buyers in OZ won't touch that with a 1.9 l diesel. It's obviously for the boat / caravan tow market and those buyers pass @ 1.9 l diesels.

Cheers

Justin

I've seen a few LDVs and Great Walls around. They are sold to tradies, particularly from China. They aren't seen much at boat ramps.

The LDV's are ok, a few about and people seem happy enough with them for the price but are a bit heavier on fuel and lack a bit of refinement. Don't know the lifespan yet. They don't do a tray. No resale value.

Why would a vehicle made in China (or South America) be exported from South Africa to Australia?
The same reason Mercedes and Volvos and many more are from other interesting places........

The LDV's are ok, a few about and people seem happy enough with them for the price but are a bit heavier on fuel and lack a bit of refinement. Don't know the lifespan yet. They don't do a tray. No resale value.
Resale value? You could be talking French cars.........

Resale value? You could be talking French cars.........
We've been using BT50's but now they've raised the price to HiLux level we might change over given the resale value of a HiLux would make a French car owner weep. The resale on a Land Cruiser is unbelievable. You don't buy a HiLux you pay a deposit and get your name on the waiting list. Every HiLux on the ship is pre-sold. Over 50k for a Thai made ute is more than enough money.

Would be more sensible to import the Peugeot 206 Ute?
Can't cost them much to make and few issues on the basic P206.

Very handy for a small business?
I mean you could afford to buy it for when your German car was being serviced?

Sadly, the Hoggar was only produced from 2010-2014 (in Brazil).

I'm reasonably certain it wouldn't have passed ADRs.

I mean you could afford to buy it for when your German car was being serviced?

We have owned a "german car" for the last 7 seven years. Dealer service costs have been less than the two previous Japanese cars and reliabily excellent.