2017 Koleos rear brake pad wear.

Agree Haakon, brakes are cheap and better to fit new discs (rotors) than have them skimmed.
By the way Jollytas, welcome to the forum, and from what you say about the poor service you are getting from the Renault dealer you are dealing with, I think I have met them! Or perhaps that is par-for-the-course as far as Renault 'dealers' go in this country. :cautious:
At any rate, I consider 70,000km for brakes pretty good going in today's stop-start traffic.

70K kms out brakes pads is very good going these days. My Megane 2 was halfway through its second set by then.

And most modern cars will wear front and rears at a similar rate. The Alfa is almost looking like the rears going faster than the fronts, but the Meg certainly had all 4 done at once at around 50K kms.

Soft rotors help with high speed european autobahn stopping and give great cold bite - but they wear quickly.

Brakes are cheap (assuming youre not silly enough to let a dealer do it...).
Hmm, I've spent a small fortune on brakes over the last 10 years of modern Renault ownership.
I cracks me up when people say "don't change down a gear, brakes are much cheaper than a gearbox rebuild."

Well so far, I've spent about $4k on brake consumables and not one cent on gearbox rebuilds, so I beg to differ!!

To the OP, I don't consider 70k km to be an abnormal amount of Km before brake replacement, especially in a hilly terrain.
You say (or they said) the inside pad was down to metal, but how fat were the others??
It is highly possible that you car is fully within the bounds of normality, and no conspiracy has occurred.

Jo

70K kms out brakes pads is very good going these days. My Megane 2 was halfway through its second set by then.

And most modern cars will wear front and rears at a similar rate. The Alfa is almost looking like the rears going faster than the fronts, but the Meg certainly had all 4 done at once at around 50K kms.

Soft rotors help with high speed european autobahn stopping and give great cold bite - but they wear quickly.

Brakes are cheap (assuming youre not silly enough to let a dealer do it...).

We haven't argued for a while, Haakon, but we will unless you can explain how the brakes front and rear should wear equally when one end of the car has the majority of weight and provides the bulk of the car's stopping power and the other little weight in it and a valve that reduces the effectiveness of it's brakes the harder you push the pedal. FWIW I have so far never had to replace rear shoes, drums, discs or rotors on any of my cars even the R10 used in gymkhanas..

We haven't argued for a while, Haakon, but we will unless you can explain how the brakes front and rear should wear equally when one end of the car has the majority of weight and provides the bulk of the car's stopping power and the other little weight in it and a valve that reduces the effectiveness of it's brakes the harder you push the pedal. FWIW I have so far never had to replace rear shoes, drums, discs or rotors on any of my cars even the R10 used in gymkhanas..

Because the front brakes are a lot bigger...?

Cars with ABS dont have proportioning valves either.

Cars with ABS dont have proportioning valves either.

The ABS is essentially a proportioning valve operating independently on all wheels and preventing any of them locking up for more than a millisecond or two..........the fact that the rears would constantly lock up in hard braking without either ABS or a proportioning valve may have escaped you?

The ABS is essentially a proportioning valve operating independently on all wheels and preventing any of them locking up for more than a millisecond or two..........the fact that the rears would constantly lock up in hard braking without either ABS or a proportioning valve may have escaped you?
Please review how an ABS block works.

Brakes are designed to be working at a similar proportion of their capacity - bigger brakes at the front do more braking than smaller ones at the back.

Hence they wear at about the same rate as each other. It’s not rocket surgery ;)

It is not unusual for modern cars, especially SUV's, to wear rear pads out before fronts. Just compare brake dust on rear wheels compared to front.

Please review how an ABS block works.

Brakes are designed to be working at a similar proportion of their capacity - bigger brakes at the front do more braking than smaller ones at the back.

Hence they wear at about the same rate as each other. It’s not rocket surgery ;)

Either I'm a very unusual "braker" of there is something wrong with your argument. My last two modern cars have both had ABS, ESP and traction control amongst other mandated equipment and neither have ever required front and rear discs or rotors to be changed at the same time. It may be because Renaults have always had excellent, well designed and performing brake systems where others don't, or maybe it's because I don't carry a full load of passengers everywhere I go and I use more anticipation than brakes, something learned from a couple of million klicks driving trucks, who knows?

It is not unusual for modern cars, especially SUV's, to wear rear pads out before fronts. Just compare brake dust on rear wheels compared to front.
Your argument doesn't tally with the physics of braking and weight transfer. Brake dust is only a reliable indicator of people who use their brakes too much! ;)

Kim it
Your argument doesn't tally with the physics of braking and weight transfer. Brake dust is only a reliable indicator of people who use their brakes too much! ;)
Kim it may not tally with the physics of traditional braking but I can tell you for a fact that I have seen many examples, mainly on various SUV style vehicles of rears needing replacement before fronts....such examples are Subaru Forester, Nissan X-Trail and Nissan Pathfinder. Brake dust is an also a reliable indicator of the pad material fitted to a vehicle.

Kim it

Kim it may not tally with the physics of traditional braking but I can tell you for a fact that I have seen many examples, mainly on various SUV style vehicles of rears needing replacement before fronts....such examples are Subaru Forester, Nissan X-Trail and Nissan Pathfinder. Brake dust is an also a reliable indicator of the pad material fitted to a vehicle.

My Koleos underpinnings are X-Trail. I get very little brake dust on the fronts and an almost un-noticeable coating on the rears. I agree brake dust might indicate the type of pads fitted when viewed by a braking connoisseur but a thick coating of dust to me indicates a propensity to brake too hard and often! :)

Hmm, I've spent a small fortune on brakes over the last 10 years of modern Renault ownership.
I cracks me up when people say "don't change down a gear, brakes are much cheaper than a gearbox rebuild."

Well so far, I've spent about $4k on brake consumables and not one cent on gearbox rebuilds, so I beg to differ!!

To the OP, I don't consider 70k km to be an abnormal amount of Km before brake replacement, especially in a hilly terrain.
You say (or they said) the inside pad was down to metal, but how fat were the others??
It is highly possible that you car is fully within the bounds of normality, and no conspiracy has occurred.

Jo
The R side was 2.5mm/0mm, L side was 3.5mm/2mm.

When I bought my Laguna 3 wagon it had been neglected by the previous owner for a number of years. No, that wasn't the original owner, (iLaguna) who frequents this forum.
I had the discs and pads replaced on all corners by our work mechanic not long after I bought it. After about 9,000kms I was down to metal on the offside rear.
That same mechanic had a look at the caliper and found it had seized, preventing one side from moving, thus causing the damage. Lots of brake cleaner, a few small G clamps, and some force freed it up. Fitted new pads.
Those same pads are doing sterling service 60,000 kays later.

So perhaps jollytas has a seized caliper? If so, it will be down to metal in a short time. I don't think the dealer would be looking at diagnosing the problem, just throwing on a new set of consumables. That's why I choose to use a private mechanic.

Dave

When I bought my Laguna 3 wagon it had been neglected by the previous owner for a number of years. No, that wasn't the original owner, (iLaguna) who frequents this forum.
I had the discs and pads replaced on all corners by our work mechanic not long after I bought it. After about 9,000kms I was down to metal on the offside rear.
That same mechanic had a look at the caliper and found it had seized, preventing one side from moving, thus causing the damage. Lots of brake cleaner, a few small G clamps, and some force freed it up. Fitted new pads.
Those same pads are doing sterling service 60,000 kays later.

So perhaps jollytas has a seized caliper? If so, it will be down to metal in a short time. I don't think the dealer would be looking at diagnosing the problem, just throwing on a new set of consumables. That's why I choose to use a private mechanic.

Dave
I would suspect something like this is going on with Jollytas' Koleos, but you need the service guys to acknowledge there maybe a problem and investigate it.

Brake dust is only a reliable indicator of people who use their brakes too much! ;)
When you drive in any Sydney northern beaches suburbs who's name finishes with plateau or heights or hill (Elanora, bilgola, Balgowlah, Collaroy, Beacon) and descend down to sea level , you don't have the option of NOT using your brakes too much!!

There is the occasional truck driver from time to time who messes up the whole concept, but that never ends well.

Jo

I would suspect something like this is going on with Jollytas' Koleos, but you need the service guys to acknowledge there maybe a problem and investigate it.
And therein lies the problem. When I spoke with Renault Head Office, they said I can get a second opinion but it must be from a Renault service centre. Highly unlikely the tune will change. Its all done now so will monitor it and see if it starts to get abnormal wear again. Fingers crossed.

When you drive in any Sydney northern beaches suburbs who's name finishes with plateau or heights or hill (Elanora, bilgola, Balgowlah, Collaroy, Beacon) and descend down to sea level , you don't have the option of NOT using your brakes too much!

Jo

So what did I say? ;)

There's another option. Maybe someone in the past of this car (if unknown) has moved the front pads when they got too thin on the rear. There is still the issue of just one pad being way more worn than the rest, but who knows? Maybe it was already thinner when the swap occurred.

This is of course assuming (I have no idea if true) that front and rear pads are identical.

For the record, my car has much more brake dust on the front wheels.