2012 508 HDI Starting Problem

FiveoEight

Tadpole
Hello froggers.
I have a 2012 508 HDi sedan which has an intermittent problem not starting. When it happens the dashlights come on but the car wont start. When that happens you cannot even turn the dash lights off, it all locks up and is not responsive. Close the door and walk away, lights stay on.
Happened half a dozen time over the past month.
The past 2 months the alternator failed which was get replaced and then the I fitted a new battery. Not sure if they are all linked,
Previously placing the key in the compartment lower part of the dash near the steering wheel would fix it and away it would go. but not now. Nothing
Code that were logged before it happened were P1498. U2000, P050B
Tried using spare key but same problem.
Any ideas ??

Thanks

Have you checked or changed the battery in the remote? It should be about 3.2V for a new one.

P050B only means that the system timed out trying to start.

From the others, check out the doseur (air intake valve) area. I presume this car has an RHH engine. Is the valve operator working?

Have you checked or changed the battery in the remote? It should be about 3.2V for a new one.
Thanks David. I have not changed remote battery but did swap to use the spare key.
Seems to be worse when hot. Like start solenoid or relay?

P050B only means that the system timed out trying to start.

From the others, check out the doseur (air intake valve) area. I presume this car has an RHH engine. Is the valve operator working?
Yes the valve is working. I had it out a few weeks back. Link is attached, vacuum plunger pulls in and out. cleaned sensor switch with electrical cleaner, it still throws the same error but runs ok. ? P0488 usually and sometimes P1498

For P0488 you might have to trace further back in the EGR system - the rubber lines, the solenoid valve behind the head.

For P0488 you might have to trace further back in the EGR system - the rubber lines, the solenoid valve behind the head.
Thanks . Is there an easy way to check the solenoid function, or even being able to see it would be a bonus

Mirror job. The connections from the end are 1. vacuum source from reservoir, 2. doseur valve, 3. atmosphere.

Just to be clear..... you are not having the 'Key Not Found' Issue?
I have a 2014 model with the button start and have this issue. Apparently I'm on my own. So I'm the process of reverse engineering the remote access/keyless start system. Oh what fun.

Just to be clear..... you are not having the 'Key Not Found' Issue?
I have a 2014 model with the button start and have this issue. Apparently I'm on my own. So I'm the process of reverse engineering the remote access/keyless start system. Oh what fun.
No. Different problem. Random when it’s warm / hot. Won’t start, light on dash but pushing start button does nothing. Then can’t turn off or lock. After 5 -10 minutes all good. Starts no problem. Has 240,000 km getting frustrating.

No. Different problem. Random when it’s warm / hot. Won’t start, light on dash but pushing start button does nothing. Then can’t turn off or lock. After 5 -10 minutes all good. Starts no problem. Has 240,000 km getting frustrating.
What I read might the the fuse pack on the battery, but I don’t want to keep throwing parts and dollars at it

For the RHH, Delphi

p1498.png

And this - note the rubber hose. Mine long ago got oiled up, swelled, and dropped off. I inserted some plastic tube.

Thanks . That seems to be working as if should. When I turn the engine off you can hear the air release and the actuator closes the butterfly in the inlet. Once reset if I drive steady and don’t accelerate hard it does not fault.

Seems like problem found. After arriving home as I turned the car off the starter just started running, for approx 5 seconds. Smoked the garage out. It would not restart, I pushed it out the drive way in case the whole thing started burning. Checked it today, removed starter motor, today nuked inside. Now to find another starter motor.

That's $$$ unfortunately. Did you clear all codes before you read the ones we looked at? That's essential to get rid of any ancient history hanging about.