2011 207cc -acceleration problems

persephone_pug

Tadpole
I know the 207cc 1.6 88kw petrol engine is pretty gutless but this is ridiculous. I took my Pug on a long drive to Dubbo and back over the weekend. She has just had a full set of Brembo discs and pads installed, full service and rego inspection where I provided all filters and oil, a fuel line problem fixed (which was causing terrible fuel consumption), and passenger side lynchpins replaced. I also need to get her back to my mechanic when I can to get serpentine belt and rocker cover gasket replaced.
She performs well on flat roads but noticed particularly coming back over the mountains when my girlfriend was driving that she is having real problems accelerating up Victoria Pass (eg not getting over 70k) and also after all that driving (approx 900k round trip) just as coming down off the mountains around Lawson that she suddenly emitted a rotten egg gas smell for a minute or two then nothing after that. I also could smell it faintly when driving to work from St Marys to Silverwater this morning. I usually always put 95 in her but due to current price of fuel filled her up with 91 over weekend. Could it be plugs, coils, or a vacuum leak? Any other suggestions appreciated. No fault codes are indicated.

You have answered your own questions you fed a heavy under powered car the wrong fuel these are slow at the best of times and should only run on 95

I concur with DMC, as much the same happened to me once. Heading west over the mountains in a 207GT, the 95 queue at the servo was so long that I got 91, as I only needed a top-up.

Within only a couple of km it started coughing, gave some pretty offensive messages on the screen, then went into limp home mode, max 70 and uphill was a crawl. I turned it off, waited 10 mins, back on, problem did not return. Never went near 91 again, irrespective of price difference.

Hi.

a fuel line problem fixed (which was causing terrible fuel consumption),
I would be interested to know more about the above. I assume that the fuel line was leaking fuel externally???

I have reviewed a few sites that discuss the need for 91, 95 or 98RON fuel. This is one of the better written and factually correct sites: https://www.racv.com.au/royalauto/transport/petrol-types-and-purposes.html The NRMA site in poorly written and has some errors.

I concur with the posters above. I will use the minimum RON that the lable in your fuel filler flap or your owners manual says.

You could use 98RON instead of 95RON, but I very much doubt you will experience any advantages in your engine for performance or fuel economy. The other dissadvantage is that your bank balance will be less.

If you still had half a tank of 91RON in your vehicle you could top up with half a tank of 98RON to achieve a 95RON blend.

Cheers.

PS: Maybe your 207cc is offended that you refer to it as a "she". What if it identifies as a different gender?

Reactions: COL
Hi.

I would be interested to know more about the above. I assume that the fuel line was leaking fuel externally???

I have reviewed a few sites that discuss the need for 91, 95 or 98RON fuel. This is one of the better written and factually correct sites: https://www.racv.com.au/royalauto/transport/petrol-types-and-purposes.html The NRMA site in poorly written and has some errors.

I concur with the posters above. I will use the minimum RON that the lable in your fuel filler flap or your owners manual says.

You could use 98RON instead of 95RON, but I very much doubt you will experience any advantages in your engine for performance or fuel economy. The other dissadvantage is that your bank balance will be less.

If you still had half a tank of 91RON in your vehicle you could top up with half a tank of 98RON to achieve a 95RON blend.

Cheers.

PS: Maybe your 207cc is offended that you refer to it as a "she". What if it identifies as a different gender?
Thanks, Whippet, and the rest of the posters. Yes, it was an external fuel line leak. I did exactly that and topped her up with 98 today from just under half a tank. She seems to be running a lot better although I haven't tested her on any inclines. I'm driving up the coast on Saturday so will see how she goes and steer well clear of 91 from now on. Persephone definitely identifies as female ;-)