2009 Peugeot 308sw rear light electrical connector

xlink_nz

Fellow Frogger
Hi

Our passenger left hand side rear light started working intermittently (the indicator stick clicking more rapid than usual to notify the driver)

Further investigation showed the cable connector for the bulb assembly appears to have a connector pin missing but what seems odd is one of the holes for the broken pin is round rather than the same pin on the drivers side which appears is a square pin hole?

Is it typical the female pin socket would be different on each side of the car?

Also note if I bend the left hand side connector the lights do work suggesting electrical contact is made but I haven't yet determined whether it can be packed out to ensure continuous contact

Attachments

• Left Rear Light Female Connector.jpg
    Left Rear Light Female Connector.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 120
  • Left Rear Light Male Connector.jpg
    Left Rear Light Male Connector.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Rear Right Male Connector.jpg
    Rear Right Male Connector.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Right Rear Light Female Connector.jpg
    Right Rear Light Female Connector.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 88
@dmccurtayne thank you for the reply!

Your reply is beyond me how do I or an auto electrician do that?

NB: Pic of undamaged right hand side

Attachments

• Rear Right Male Connector 1.jpg
    Rear Right Male Connector 1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 82
This is a standard fix on 308 Tourings. I did this fix to both our T7 Tourings. You just need a separate earth strap from the body to the earth circuit on the light housing - don't worry about doing anything to the plug or the pins - not necessary. 50cm(?) - might be longer - of wire with an eyelet at each end. Bolt one end onto the body - there are a few spots to undo a 10mm nut and attach to - and a self tapper on the other end into the light housing earth circuit.

Always seems to be the LHS that burns out.

Cheers

Justin

Thank you all for your replies. I may attempt tomorrow a temporarily repair i.e. remove the wire if possible on the burnout connector and temporarily attach to the earth plate on the bulb plate to test the repair. Does the wire pull out or so I require to cut or can the connector be opened?

Thank you all for your replies. I may attempt tomorrow a temporarily repair i.e. remove the wire if possible on the burnout connector and temporarily attach to the earth plate on the bulb plate to test the repair. Does the wire pull out or so I require to cut or can the connector be opened?
It’s the problem don’t over egg the pudding

If you're going to open it all up just do the permanent repair as I mentioned above - it's no more work, will fix the problem permanently, and save you time having to go back and just do it anyway after you muck around with the burnt out pins for an hour.

Cheers

Justin

Thank you again. I found after testing the light issue the battery went flat and then had detremined the 5 year battery was at 18% health I assume that is not good?

Also for us in non Euro winter climates is 700+ CCA really required but it seems all batteries that fit are at least 600 CCA?

I had the same issue on my 307. Right rear.
It was periodic for about a year and then got worse. Until last week an occasional wiggle would set it right. Now it's kaput (ou plutôt foutu).

The problem is the earth pin in the socket from the wiring loom. A short/or surge melts the socket and gets plastic all over the female pin and the male pin in the light assembly. You can clean the male pin in the light assembly, but you have to replace/clean the female pin and that's often impossible because it's melted into the socket.

As a temporary fix I did a version of the fix in the video above.
I soldered a wire straight to the earth rail (similar to what the video did with a bolt). and then twisted and soldered the wire to the earth lead and then taped it.

I just bought a new 6-pin plug to make the fix permanent.
"6 Pin Car Rear Tail Lights Lamp Plug 98821106X 988211068 For Peugeot 206 207 307 308 508 Citroen C2 C5 C3-XR C-Quatre C4L Elysee"