1992 205 si 78,000k

anesti

Tadpole
Just bought a 205 si 1992 with 78.000 on the clock. It come with full service history that has been verified by the previouse one owner and his mechanic. Im interested to know others thought , if you had it, what would you do with it?

Some of my options.

1. donar engine, turbo charge it.

2. rip out all the good bits and put them on my GTI, such as dash, mirrors , and other bits.

3. drive it sparingly and hold onto it.

Attachments

• 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 468
  • 205 3.jpg
    205 3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 412
Some of my options.

1. donar engine, turbo charge it.

2. rip out all the good bits and put them on my GTI, such as dash, mirrors , and other bits.

3. drive it sparingly and hold onto it.

Sell it to me!
If you want a project car I have one very similar but with higher Kms you could use.
Graham

i agree it would be a shame to modify it at all. well maybe some 14" wheels or something easily reversible. just accept it for an si and drive it. i have recently been down that road with my si and i dont have the heart to change a thing about it as it goes so well and is very reliable. they are far more comfortable on the road but handle differently to a gti.

after motor you will be wanting more performance elsewhere then need to do brakes and suspension and exhaust and so on. its better to start with a gti and leave the si as a si. mine is not without its issues but too spend massive amounts of money on it would be stupid.

also they just dont look as good as the gti no matter what you do to them. the wheel base is a pain in the arse to fit good lokking wheels on them other than pepper pots. and the arches are different. to change it would de value it straight away.
thats just my opinion anyway. by all means do it if you fell the urge as anything is possible but from experience and feedback from others dont wreck a good car.

sell it to graham or hang onto it and you might be suprised. if you want to do the turbo thing or motor swaps wreck something that need a new life anyway not a good car.

i know of a nice 205 in melbourne with a fully rebuilt engine PeterT cam and loads of potential if you want a project car all the hard work is done just need tlc and your own personal touches. its well worth a look.

you could drive the si down and the gti back!

Yeah just buy a gti dont destroy the si!!

Looks like it has had paint also??

Drivers side front wing (fender)

As has been said there aint much you can do to the si, You would have to change everything over to get it like a gti and when you look at it, like that your then only doing it for a low km's shell and tidier interior...

LOL

The GTI he speaks of is a ripper buy. I never driven an Si. I should have a crack in one one of these days.

Chris

chris i never thought to ask but you can drive mine if you like. im worried you may never want to drive your gti again though
maybe we could swap my si for your gti if you threw some cash and that new motor in on the deal:D

Its in good nick, has the original spare tyre and its unused, though the rubber is degrading , youd expect this after 20 years. The windscreen has the peugeot logo on it , nice. Ive spoken to the one owner in south australia and it was his wifes, he traded it in for a fiat 500, he was reluctant to sell it but his wife wanted the fiat. He is an enthusiast as well and has a 400 series MI16. It does need some work though , spocken to the mechanic who has serviced it for the last decade and it needs a clutch, grommets in the brake fluid resoviour and the radiator has some green fluid coming out side. I cant believe the state of the car though , i havnt detailed it yet so I will post some photos once that is done.
:)

Yes Gezza the paints in great condition for 20 years, straight and no chips. It hasnt had paint though.

205 with peperpots

here is my 92 205 si with 14" pepper pots

Attachments

• mysi.jpg
    mysi.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 905
it has been lowered at front by around 20mm

Hotting up an si...

Theoretically, if you were to transplant an Mi16 engine, change the suspension, brakes, wheels, exhaust, you could end up with something equivalent to or superior to a standard GTI, no?

I have a '93 si with 113,000kms and was actually considering doing some of these things.

Money issues aside, it would be mechanically possible, wouldn't it? Anyone out there modified an Si?

Theoretically, if you were to transplant an Mi16 engine, change the suspension, brakes, wheels, exhaust, you could end up with something equivalent to or superior to a standard GTI, no?

I have a '93 si with 113,000kms and was actually considering doing some of these things.

Money issues aside, it would be mechanically possible, wouldn't it? Anyone out there modified an Si?

Look at my signature then believe me when I say it is a very bad idea.

Thats quite a find anesti. Great condition.
I agree with the others, keep it intact and standard. Manual or auto?

here is my 92 205 si with 14" pepper pots

very tidy looking Si there djvu205,
Have some pepper pots to put on my Si.
What sized tyres did you opt for?
Did the increased tyre circumference throw the gearing out?

langers said:

You have certainly modified that Si, when you say its a bad idea, do you mean starting with an Si instead of a GTi or that its "one bad car"?
Paul

Last edited:

Yes, as long as you have the finances, commitment and know what you want to achieve at the end of it all.
I built a 205 Si rally car out of my old road car.
It has a UK spec 1.9 8v, Quaife and close ratio Mi16 g/box. Also 306 front brakes and S3 driveshafts.
Added rally gear such as cage, sump guard and driving lights. Easy to bolt this stuff in, wiring is a bit more complicated, I left the original ECU in place but largely disconnected and fitted a Megasquirt ECU with its own loom.
If you just want to build the ultimate 205 to drive on the road without spending much money then forget it, a waste of a good car and don't forget you will need a GTi donor car for suspension (I kept the Si suspension in mine but with plastic bushes and strut tops) and other bits.
Do three thngs to an Si.
1. Check with a scanner that the ECU hasn't been detuned to run on 91 octane, this is quite often the case.
2. Definitely fit a new Oxygen sensor.
3. Fit Pepperpot 14s from a GTi with quality tyres, I have 185 60 Yokohama C-Drives on my road car and the steering is pin sharp, better than any GTi I've driven.
Graham

I would do what Graham suggests and keep it as a nice little runabout.

Do three thngs to an Si.
1. Check with a scanner that the ECU hasn't been detuned to run on 91 octane, this is quite often the case.
2. Definitely fit a new Oxygen sensor.

Ha! Despite all the work that's been done on my car, I certainly haven't done the second, and doubtful the first has been done.

What type of scanner is needed, and what is the process?

langers said:

You have certainly modified that Si, when you say its a bad idea, do you mean starting with an Si instead of a GTi or that its "one bad car"?
Paul

More that it's a complete WOFTAM. Start with a modified GTI that someone else has already put their blood, sweat and tears into and then sold for 1/2 the build price.

Well, here's what I was considering doing to my Si:

- AST Sportline Road Coilovers:

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/peugeot/...05-1-6-1-9-gti-ast-sportline-i-coilovers.html

- OZ Racing 15" Ultraleggeras in Matt Black

http://www.ozracing.com/car_wheels_var/OZ Racing/25183/RACING/ULTRALEGGERA/25504.aspx

- Either an engine rebuild or an Mi16 conversion

- fitting of side and wheel arch plastic trim, with chrome line instead of red, like this:

Pug1Off205V62.jpg

Doable?

Also, on the subject of the Ultraleggeras, I understand if I had a GTI the offset I would require would be ET18. Is this the same for my 205 si?

Last edited:
More that it's a complete WOFTAM. Start with a modified GTI that someone else has already put their blood, sweat and tears into and then sold for 1/2 the build price.

I agree, you should have taken it to the track as it was sold to you, it was a very effective 1.6 litre class car.
Sorry, I just had to say that!
As far as the scanner goes can't help you much there. I was at Auto Paris getting some gear box oil and Paul offered to take a look at the ECU to see what was causing a misfire, turned out to be the oxy sensor heater wiring but he also noticed it had been detuned so corrected it using the scanner.
Plugs into the diagnostic port, a plug hanging off a lead near the Master Cylinder.
Graham