1980 cx Paint (Below Rear Window) Question

doggiedog

Fellow Frogger
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone knows what type of black paint was originally used below the rear window, i.e. matte, semi gloss or gloss, as mine is decidedly matte at the moment :).
I’m assuming it is acrylic paint, although I haven’t done the thinners test yet.

Another question, did the CX have a glove box light?
When I pulled out the glove box yesterday to reconnect the heater duct, I noticed a hole on the right hand side which looked like it could have been for a glove box light. There was also a green wire sought of sticking out of it, not connected to anything.
Thanks
Terry

doggiedog said:
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone knows what type of black paint was originally used below the rear window, i.e. matte, semi gloss or gloss, as mine is decidedly matte at the moment :).
I’m assuming it is acrylic paint, although I haven’t done the thinners test yet.

Another question, did the CX have a glove box light?
When I pulled out the glove box yesterday to reconnect the heater duct, I noticed a hole on the right hand side which looked like it could have been for a glove box light. There was also a green wire sought of sticking out of it, not connected to anything.
Thanks
Terry
I'm not so sure that IS paint!!! I think it could be an enamel type coating.
They are a satin like finish. My series 2 cars have a glovebox light, don't know about series 1 cars, john s

Yep, should have a glovebox light. Usual flush mottly plastic with lugs that break off at the drop of a hat.
Re; paint on bootlid. If it were me, I'd be inclined to look at enamel in a matt finish. Reason I reckon it would have been enamel is that any overspray onto acrylic could then be wiped off using enamel thinners providing you don't give the entire car a "jam job" :crazy: :mallet:

Alan S :cheers:

Ok. so my suspicions were right about the glovebox light, the round hole with the 2 rectangle cut outs for lugs looked like they were for something. I wonder where I could get one of those suckers?
My guess was a previous owner removed it, as the wire has 12V unswitched, and if it stuck on would flatten the battery!!.

Regarding the paint on the boot lid, I have already resprayed the car, but decided to leave the bootlid till last, and it has become one of those, "I must do that" jobs. I think I will get some black enamel matte and spray it. The "slack" side of me says to just go buy a spray can, but the "conchi" side of me says drag out the compressor and gun.

I have another question, I was giving the interior a good clean today, and while cleaning the rear quarter glass from the inside, the whole glass moved, lucky the chrome trim stopped it from falling out. The question is what type of glue is used to glue back in place?
Something like the glue they use on newer windscreens I guess.
Thanks for the reply.
Terry
p.s. I'll put some photos up when I get the whole lot looking its best, before and after.

doggiedog said:
Regarding the paint on the boot lid, I have already resprayed the car, but decided to leave the bootlid till last, and it has become one of those, "I must do that" jobs. I think I will get some black enamel matte and spray it. The "slack" side of me says to just go buy a spray can, but the "conchi" side of me says drag out the compressor and gun.

I have another question, I was giving the interior a good clean today, and while cleaning the rear quarter glass from the inside, the whole glass moved, lucky the chrome trim stopped it from falling out. The question is what type of glue is used to glue back in place?
Something like the glue they use on newer windscreens I guess.
Thanks for the reply.
Terry
p.s. I'll put some photos up when I get the whole lot looking its best, before and after.

Sikaflex. Try to get a black as it won't be so obvious against the rubber seal.
I usually park near a wall or a tree and jam a length of timber between the two with rag on the ends (so it won't scratch) with just enough pressure to hold the quqarter glass in place until it sets.

Alan S

Alan S said:
I usually park near a wall or a tree and jam a length of timber between the two with rag on the ends (so it won't scratch) with just enough pressure to hold the quqarter glass in place until it sets.

Alan S

A word of advice. Sikaflex is great stuff and sticks to everything REALLY, REALLY well.

Definitely take the time to mask off EVERY place you don't want the stuff and have handy a little tub with some washing up detergent mixed with water to clean your spatula with as you go (and probably your hands if you're not wearing gloves).

If it does get anywhere you didn't want it to go, don't smear it, leave it and peel it off when it's dry. If you get it on your hands, forget it. It won't come off for days!

doggiedog said:
Ok. so my suspicions were right about the glovebox light, the round hole with the 2 rectangle cut outs for lugs looked like they were for something. I wonder where I could get one of those suckers?
My guess was a previous owner removed it, as the wire has 12V unswitched, and if it stuck on would flatten the battery!!.

Thr glovebox light was one part of CX electrics that never gave me any grief. :D From memory there is a simple push switch that controls it.

regards
sean

Thanks for the replies everyone, I shall try to locate a glovebox light in my travels.

I shall get some Sikaflex, and give it a go, I guess I should do both sides, as the other one is probably ready to fall out as well, and I would hate to try to try and locate another one.

I'm getting closer to getting this thing on the road, so I might have a few more questions soon. Just got the electrical connections to clean, ( get the fuel guage working and heater fan working on high speed), and the usual lubricant changes, and wheel bearing check and grease, then its off for the roadworthy.

Terry

Alan S said:

Alan S

Glad to see you are so environmentally consy Al protecting the tree like that :D :D

The paint was a matte finish on mine when I bought it and two cut and polishes plus a number of regular polishes bought it up shiny again.
So I reckon it is definantly a black gloss enamel that would be the go and it looks quite good all shiny.
Andy :headbang:

Andy N said:
The paint was a matte finish on mine when I bought it and two cut and polishes plus a number of regular polishes bought it up shiny again.
So I reckon it is definantly a black gloss enamel that would be the go and it looks quite good all shiny.
Andy :headbang:

I agree...I've seen one all shiny and it was ok. I've also seen one where the car had been re-sprayed and they just sprayed it all the one colour...that looked ok too.
Cheers...George 1/8th. :cheers: :cool:

Hi, just to let you know, I used some cutting compound on a cloth and cleaned it up really nice and shiny, except in one spot where I overdid it a bit, so I'm going to have to paint it now anyway :( , I think the paint was a bit thin in one spot, (well thats my excuse anyway).
Terry

I take it you guys all are aware that it was done in a flat or satin p[aint for a reason?
Due to the shape of the rear window and the bootlid, I believe it was done this way to reduce reflections.

Alan S :cheers:

I would hate to try to try and locate another one

I have a pair of non-tinted rear quarter windows, if anyone is looking for one.