1977 London to Sydney Car Rally website

I have been having all sorts of dramas over the last 8 to 10 months with the website but IT IS ALL FINALLY resolved. The mob hosting the website had an old (and wrong) password in their server but now that that has been resolved we can now access the website www.1977londontosydney.com and send and receive emails to contact@1977londontosydney.com as well (something I haven't been able to do for over a year or more).

I have a few more things to upload so now I can do them.

My apologies to all who have tried and coouldn't get in but you can now (fingers crossed).

FLASH

I have never noticed this site before.I recall the cars going into Melb.along Keilor-Melton Rd.Sydenham Rd where I lived.

I saw some of the 504's...remember the Renault 30....and the other 'stuff'

Found out in years to come how 'honest' Mercedes were & why ...thanks to an Aussue driver who complained that you would not be able to do London/Sydney with 2 drivers.Peugeot Sport CANCELLED the injected V.6. Coupes which were ready to go.

That what happens when you get a Volvo driver on board.Oh well ,hopefully life is a learning process.

I have been having all sorts of dramas over the last 8 to 10 months with the website but IT IS ALL FINALLY resolved. The mob hosting the website had an old (and wrong) password in their server but now that that has been resolved we can now access the website www.1977londontosydney.com and send and receive emails to contact@1977londontosydney.com as well (something I haven't been able to do for over a year or more).

My apologies to all who have tried and coouldn't get in but you can now (fingers crossed).

FLASH
Hi Flash (Peter), it seems your site has disappeared again? I have a box of slides I took at the Woods Point checkpoint (taken at night it was something like a 10pm or later transit). Was looking to scan them and see if they could go on your site. I might post them here instead. They were taken with a crappy old secondhand SLR and a sunpak flash so the quality varies but they are evocative of the night and the experience we had.
Any chance of your site reappearing? There is another site as pointed out in a much earlier post here but it doesn't seem to have a lot of content, I think yours had more (I checked it out several years ago from here).

cheers Leconte (Mark)

Last edited:

FLASH
HI Mr Flash Car,

Sorry to say I can't get anything useful using the link. First try it timed out, didn't open. Second time I got a page load of Chinese characters. Somethning ain't right - this is not to grumble but to let you know. I have some photos I'd be happy to upload from Torrens Parade Ground in Adelaide.

I have never noticed this site before.I recall the cars going into Melb.along Keilor-Melton Rd.Sydenham Rd where I lived.

I saw some of the 504's...remember the Renault 30....and the other 'stuff'

Found out in years to come how 'honest' Mercedes were & why ...thanks to an Aussue driver who complained that you would not be able to do London/Sydney with 2 drivers.Peugeot Sport CANCELLED the injected V.6. Coupes which were ready to go.

That what happens when you get a Volvo driver on board.Oh well ,hopefully life is a learning process.
Aussue???? driver was Timo Makinen, who didn't want to do the event and talked Peugeot out of entering. Cars were normal injected sedans. If you're talking about Dunkerton he hated that Volvo he only accepted the offer to drive it in the Repco after the Peugeot deal was cancelled.

This may be why the site is not recording too many hits:
77LondonSydney.PNG

One of our members is planning on participating in the Australian leg of a rerun of the rally next year(?). Said member is working with a fancier to put together a replica of one of the cars in the original field.

I will leave it to him to furnish further details.

p

One of our members is planning on participating in the Australian leg of a rerun of the rally next year(?). Said member is working with a fancier to put together a replica of one of the cars in the original field.

p
I am also doing this. I will be taking the ex Colin Bond Cortina from the 1979 Repco which I have owned since last year. This is a rerun of the Australian leg of the 1968 event.

p
Fancier?

Ah, memories... Torrens Parade Ground, Adelaide, when the cars went through.

Hi John,

Do you know which of the Citroens is the single car shot (the car with the ripple damage down the LHS side visible) in your post from 2014? I am going through my slides (scanning them) and I have a photo of that car at speed at night but I don't know exactly which car it is. I think by process of elimination it must be car 15 the Laurent/Ogier car 25 the Jean Paul Luc/Patrick Vanson one and would love to confirm it.

I also think I have a shot of car 69 the Jim Reddiex one but I have yet to find another photo of it on the internet to confirm (a bonnet shot showing it's bonnet mounted number plate and position of the race number below that would be ideal). In my photos I cannot make out the car numbers on some shots as they were taken with a weak flash unit in the middle of nowhere at night.

index.php

Thanks Leconte

Last edited:
My Dad Greg Park just recently finished the replica 504Ti car 54 of Ross Dunkerton, Bob Watson & Roger Bonhomme. First photo is Bob Watson driving at Rally Retro Festival 2021

Attachments

• IMG_2994.jpg
    IMG_2994.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    875 KB · Views: 202
My Dad Greg Park just recently finished the replica 504Ti car 54 of Ross Dunkerton, Bob Watson & Roger Bonhomme. First photo is Bob Watson driving at Rally Retro Festival 2021
That's Fantastic. Do you have any other photos of the car I would love to show my father. thanks