1976 504 GL colour name

Cruise504

Fellow Frogger
This is a blast from the past. My Dad's 1976 504 GL (circa 1980), and the car that is probably responsible for my lifelong obsession with 504's and most things Peugeot. Photo taken circa 1980 in North Rocks, NSW, with my Dad in the driver's seat and my Mum (sort of) waving.

The question I'm chasing an answer to, is what was this colour called? My current 504 is Avocado - Dulon Acrylic enamel - and someday, I'd love to repaint it in this silver. It's the colour I always wanted a 504 to be, but I've actually never seen another silver one besides this one.

Does anyone have a name/paint code for this?

Hopefully you can see the image!

Thanks
Cruise504 (Brett)

Dad's 504.jpg

I had one that colour but I can't remember the name. Awful colour though....bad for visibility because it is similar to the colour of the road (I almost creamed someone just the other day in a black car). And the original paint used to be metallic so it deteriorated in the Oz sun in no time at all. It was the worst colour for this.

I always wanted one which was avocado....preferably in a durable 2 pac like Dulon.:)

It's just sentiment that makes you want that colour. Enjoy your lovely avocado car....its a beauty !

Me too! I had one in that colour as well and, for some reason, it figured in three accidents as well.

I actually don't mind the Avocado. My wife really dislikes it, but then she has generally disliked most of my car choices.

That's a good point about the poor visibility of that silver, thanks guys. Another option was good old Alpine white

Imaginatively named Silver Grey - Dulon 562.17795.

In a current world of predominantly silver or black cars, keep the Avocado. It looks cool, mid-century is in vogue, and it will save you looking for a matching Silver Fern trim set to go with the silver car.

Attachments

• Peugeot 504.JPG
    Peugeot 504.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 186
Avocado looks terrific. You will likely never see another, but you'll blend in with the furniture in the silver

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was planning to put up a new post with more recent pics since the car arrived in NZ. I brought it over here after it seemed nigh on impossible to find anything here...and believe me I scoured the classifieds (read: Trademe) for years before it. I'm tipping it's the only Aussie built, quad headlighted, high back bucketed 504 in NZ!

Not all that clear in the photo, but the colour *could* be Topaz Yellow. I had a '75 504 in that colour. I don't know how they came up with the name, it was just a warm silver. Afraid I don't have the paint code for it.

Have fun,

Rob.

The visibility is always a factor. My sympathies with Peter Chisholm for his 3 accidents in cars that colour.

Near-accidents because of poor visibility happen to me (and others, I assure you ! ) from time to time, usually when I am tired and hot, and feeling dopey in the early afternoon. I still remember with mixed amusement and embarrassment back in 2008 when I was working as a cabbie, I pulled into a side street to do a quick U-turn, and after partially starting it, realized that there was a woman in a grey or silver BMW coming towards me. I saw her face and she almost had a heart attack ! Basically I had started to go onto the wrong side of the road and must have looked like I was going straight into her.

I once thought of starting a thread about this : as a bloke of 63 yrs, I remember that in the 1960s, 70s and even early 80s, there were hardly ANY black or even grey cars on the road....at least in Brisbane. Then they started to creep in, possibly because people thought they looked "cool".

Jeez, Cruise504....doesn't your wife like eating avocado ?

I was planning to put up a new post with more recent pics since the car arrived in NZ. I brought it over here after it seemed nigh on impossible to find anything here...and believe me I scoured the classifieds (read: Trademe) for years before it. I'm tipping it's the only Aussie built, quad headlighted, high back bucketed 504 in NZ!
Yeah the 504 quad light was rear in NZ in the 80s, a friend's family had 3 x quad lights and they were fanatics. They went ever where and places the shouldn't of like off the road on Scenic drive Titirangi. Rear window popped out but managed to repair a home and put the window back in....oh the memories of 504s

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Unless you repaint the entire body, engine bay, boot etc, it will then look like Peugeots other famous colour

BABY POO BROWN

a Fresh Avocado is nice

rr.jpg

I had a baby poo brown 504 ( I am trying to remember to proper paint name) when I first started driving and I also had a metallic blue twin carb 504, velour seats and with a sunroof.

But my sage grey 504 is a nice colour. Very unique too!

I had a baby poo brown 504 ( I am trying to remember to proper paint name) when I first started driving and I also had a metallic blue twin carb 504, velour seats and with a sunroof.

But my sage grey 504 is a nice colour. Very unique too!

That sage grey does look nice. So do your wheels. Are you still daily driving it Andrew? Mine is still wearing the stock wheels I bought from you, however the tyres are due to be replaced!

I did one up in baby poo brown (the actual color name was 'bronze corn') while it was polished it looked Ok. The person I did it for drove it for about 15 years before the rust took hold. It has since been exported to Egypt.

I have a silver 1980 504 with a tan velour interior out of a green one. It's faded and dull - but I don't get near misses in it in traffic. It has a 5 speed box, cruise control, aircon that works. I paid $150 for it 12 years ago and I've done 120,000 km in it. I think the paint code under the bonnet is 013, but I can check.

Unless you repaint the entire body, engine bay, boot etc, it will then look like Peugeots other famous colour

BABY POO BROWN

a Fresh Avocado is nice

View attachment 111251

they look great in dark blue, I love the one Clouseau had in one of the later Pink Panther films, that scene where he wrecks the lighter and sets the car on fire is timeless.