1970 Pug 504 oil bath filter

Trent172

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi does anyone know if the oil bath filter can be changed or removed so that a convention air cleaner can be used instead by attaching straight to the carby for example?

Why? The 504 oil bath filter is superior to any you could replace it with. There is an old article in Torque by Bruce Taylor explaining the superiority of the system. And explaining why the foam rubber filters installed on some later models were suitable only for lawn mowers.

Russell is right ( why am I not surprised?)

Oil bath more efficient and French manufacturers often doubled up with them on export models - my 4CV has initial oil bath filter then a cartridge. Our dusty roads in the 50’s got a bad rap

They are also cheap - clean the steel element, top up oil bath with oil ( doesn’t need to be good or even new oil ) . Fit and forget until next time

Best Wishes

Andrew

In a container with Kero or suchlike - move it around, flush it through a lot.

If you have parts cleaner in garage this would facilitate it

It works by oil sticking dirt to the steel mesh (i.e. on the surface) so aggressive rinsing is usually all that is needed.

If feeling heroic you can use petrol :)

Wiser heads than mine could well improve on this advice

Andrew

I understand, thanks Andrew I’ll give it good clean this weekend.

Another factor is that there isn't much room for a foam/paper filter on top of the carb.

You can upgrade to a Series 1 505 petrol with the foam filter, but finding the parts to do this will be difficult.

As other have said, the oil bath is very effective and the best option

If you are concerned about dust, you can always fit a filter sock over the opening of the original filter set up.

Attachments

• Filter sock.jpg
    Filter sock.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 94
Great idea Pug72. Nice looking engine bay btw. Any more pics of you car?

^ He's got a few here. Arguably the best 504 in Australia. A real pleasure to view.