1967 ds/id wanted

Aaron

Fellow Frogger
Citroenites,

I am on the lookout for a ds or id with the earlier styling and LHM hydraulics. 1985cc or better motor would also be good.

late 66 or 67?

from what I have read this seems like a possibility - although a v.slim one.

thanks. whip

Hi Aaron,

Both are pretty rare - but an ID from that period will be a lot cheaper though - $5-6K seems to buy a pretty good one. DS's are a lot more for good ones, and a Hydraulique Pallas will be top price, if you can find one at all.

I think they are what the real estate trade describes as 'tightly held'. wink

From what I have seen they don't come up often, (ask Dogboy) but you never know your luck!

Paul

thanks for your advice. wink

Is there that much of a difference between the earlier hydraulic system and the LHM system?

do people ever convert the older styles up to the LHM system?

Hi Aaron,

The biggest problem with the older systems is neglect - particularly in damper climates, if the car is left without changing the fluid for more than a couple of years, then you can be up for some major repairs, because of the corrosion caused by the moisture absorbed by the fluid. (And the general nastiness of the stuff - takes off paint etc.)

Similar neglect of an LHM car will usually just result in you having to clean out the filters and flush the fluid.

The other problem is that 'proper' LHS is getting hard to find. It is actually something like a mixture of old-fashioned brake fluid and castor oil. People like 'Buttercup' Bob in Tamworth make up their own substitute, and he has even experimented with Canola oil, with mixed results.

Yes - you can convert a car from LHS to LHM. I have just finished helping Aussiefrog 'DS' with doing just this to his 1963 ID19. It requires a lot of work and a reasonable knowledge of Cit hydraulics. Every moving seal and most of the others have to be changed. This was an ID with no power steering - if it was a Hydraulique DS it would be a very skilled job indeed.

I would think that if you were paying someone it would be an expensive proposition too!

The earlier cars are much more softly sprung though - less damping, resulting a wonderfully soft rolly car, that still feels OK from the inside. (Scares the S&*T out of people watching it go round corners fast though!)
head_ban
Paul

Hi everyone
Finding a early DS is very hard...I have been on the lookout for about 10-15 years now and still couldn't find a hydraulic shift let alone a pallas
...finally bought a 67 LHM pallas though a manual one...there will be a lot of work ahead of me to get it into nice condition..(it has sat for 10 plus years)
But it will be worth the effort..just need a garage to do it in!!!!
As for LHS...I still have a 66 ID19 which sprung a leak just before heading to Tassie at easter..
I fixed the leak and failing to get the right fluid in time I took buttercup bobs lead and used straight canola oil.(straight from supermarket shelf)and have not had one single problem since..
Probably not so good if you are in a cold climate
as it is more viscous and can get a bit gluggy?
at low temps..
cheers
Andrew :rolleyes: cheers! whip citroen_

Canola Oil is an interesting suggestion. mallet

Is it the fluid or mechanics of the system that gives the change in suspension performance?

Does the canola oil give a different feel to the cars handling?

is the LHM+ a 'stiffer' fluid? is it easer to use etc?

Aaron,

I was going to say that the fish & chips come out crispier in Canola than they do in LHM (couldn't resist that one roll_lau roll_lau whip but all reports on Canola over the old LHS are of a positive nature.
It goes without saying that LHM, the "M" standing for mineral is incompatable with a car using LHS as it is a synthetic or vegetable based fluid and if you've ever spilt brake fluid on a cars paintwork you'll get some idea of what LHS will do. LHM can do a small amount of damage if left there (colour fading etc) but Canola doesn't seem to suffer from these problems which on a collector type or restored car is a bonus.

Alan S cheers!

Hi Guys,

a word of caution towards Canola, I've been running it sucessfully in my ID19 now for over a year, however when Bob was down ('57 DS19) his car started leaking lots of fluid, we found the front suspension boot had turned to jelly & completly broken down. Now this was a boot he'd replaced recently of unkown origin.

We think there is two different types of rubber used on brake fluid cars, one type doesn't like Canola (possibly replacment items sold once LHM was introduced).

I wouldn't recommend running Canola, and wish to let poeple know THERE IS a risk. Do you want to take it?? Maybe you have a boot or two on your car that doesn't like Canola, all the seals etc seem to hold up fine ....

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Shane.....oh no....hope my susp boots don't do the same...well shall just wait and see...interesting to hear though...I take it you
haven't had any problems yet??..
Cheers
Andrew :D mallet whip citroen_

what is the vicousity rating of this LHM ?
we had a solouble oil that we used to use in the mining industry that was mixed with water, green in colour, tasted like soap (if you copped some in the mouth), paint friendly, made by Bel Ray lubricants but had the viscousity of about the same as hy spin 300 hydraulic oil at running temp
i just can't think of the name of it at the moment
also it is non flammable
if anyone knows anyone in a coal mine especially on a longwall face they will know what the oil is
but i was thinking that this may be a viable alternative for cits