1962 Gordini wiper motor

Mr Timkey

Tadpole
Tadpole
Can anyone help me find a working wiper motor or recommend someone who could overhaul ? For my 1962 Gordini / Dauphine wiper motor

Can anyone help me find a working wiper motor or recommend someone who could overhaul ? For my 1962 Gordini / Dauphine wiper motor
Is it 6 volt or 12 volt? There would be more 6 volt spares than 12 volt ones in Australia.

Hi John, no I am not, I’ve only just purchased it so just finding my way around. How do I go about joining as I’m certainly up for it. I haven’t owned one of these since 1977.

Hi John, no I am not, I’ve only just purchased it so just finding my way around. How do I go about joining as I’m certainly up for it. I haven’t owned one of these since 1977.
See "membership" on our website: https://4cvregisteraustralia.org/ There's a facebook page too. We could do with a few more Dauphine owners!

Often all they need is a good clean out of the solidified grease in the gearbox, with replacement with lower viscosity stuff. While in there you can check commutator and brushes. IT gets uglier if you have a burned/shorted winding or suchlike, but you have fair odds of resuscitating it yourself - they are not hard to disassemble and much of it can be done with the minimum of disassembly

Good luck

Andrew

Thanks Andrew tried doing that and actually got it working for three goes then she stopped making just a clicking sound. Am going to try again tomorrow but leave the washer off under the wiper arm connection to see if it’s loading / seizing up the motor when I tighten up the nut. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Andrew tried doing that and actually got it working for three goes then she stopped making just a clicking sound. Am going to try again tomorrow but leave the washer off under the wiper arm connection to see if it’s loading / seizing up the motor when I tighten up the nut. Fingers crossed.
Andrew's right. They usually die of boredom in our climate, especially as most haven't been used much in the last few decades!

This one as I’m lead to believe has been pretty idle since 1984 so I’ll continue coaxing back to life. While I remember would anyone have a interior light clear cover ?

Thanks Andrew tried doing that and actually got it working for three goes then she stopped making just a clicking sound. Am going to try again tomorrow but leave the washer off under the wiper arm connection to see if it’s loading / seizing up the motor when I tighten up the nut. Fingers
Have you checked the switch? I had intermittent problems with mine which I traced to high resistance within the switch. Even now, occasionally my wipers won't start unless I push hard on the switch lever. This happens more often if the headlights are on and revving the motor also helps. All of this points to a high resistance within the switch. If you are still having problems, I may be able to find a spare motor.

Have had it apart and in and out three times now and it runs free for 20 seconds then slowly binds up and stops, something in the mechanical side is the problem. Electrically it’s doing what it should, time to move on ! If you could locate another I would be most appreciative as I need to get it registered. Thanks for your help !

I’m currently waiting on a reply from England for availability but no guarantees, any and all options are appreciated.

If one doesn't turn up locally, keep an eye on Ebay, especially Ebay France (www.ebay.fr).

You might also find one from Duncan Topliss in UK (https://www.retrorenaultservices.co.uk/) or in USA (https://www.facebook.com/renault.guy.7/)

Good luck. Shouldn't take you too long.
Thanks John am posting off 4CV membership paperwork etc tomorrow and have emailed Duncan as his website has a wiper motor listed, should I be concerned if he hasn’t replied as yet or is a couple of days normal ( don’t want to miss it ) thanks again.

Thanks John am posting off 4CV membership paperwork etc tomorrow and have emailed Duncan as his website has a wiper motor listed, should I be concerned if he hasn’t replied as yet or is a couple of days normal ( don’t want to miss it ) thanks again.
He's been on the Mainland for a couple of days at a classic car show I think.

Thanks John I will relax and wait for his email. I’ve waited a long time to own and drive a Gordini, a little longer won’t hurt ( much ) Tim

Thanks John I will relax and wait for his email. I’ve waited a long time to own and drive a Gordini, a little longer won’t hurt ( much ) Tim
He's reliable. You could resend and get it up the list - also chase him on Facebook as he is active there.