195/60R14 for Series 1 405 Mi16

GTI124

who? when? huh?
1000+ Posts
Mitch,

The Michelin MXF Sport is available in the Series 1 size (195/60R14), which is a V rated tyre. Parry was running these on his S2 205 and stone (Marcus) was running these on his 306 S16...no not the bald FM901s, the rear ones ;). Here's the link to them: http://www.michelin.com.au/tyres/tyr_tyr_display.cfm?ProductCode=077093&iCarID=3328&OE=FR

Bridgestone's Potenza GIII is also available.

Yokohama's AVS ES100 is available, but it's an H rated tyre.

Otherwise you can get some R compounds like a Yoko A032R :D

You are allowed to fit H rated tyres to them now. I have Azenis RS on my 14" rims. Also liked the A539s I had before.

Cal.

Hi,

I have 15" azenis and they stick like glue! Really happy with them however becasue I am an insane bugger they don't last very long!

Nick

195/60-R14 is also the size I want to put on my Fuego, which is in need of new fronts.

Can anyone recommend a good bang for your buck option in this size?

Needs to be good in the wet, and I consider a quiet, comfortable ride to be more important than outright dry weather grip as it's pretty hard to find the limits in a Fuego on public roads anyway unless we are talking about highly illegal speeds.

Some approximate / typical prices would be nice to. :)

Can you run H rated tyres, as there's much more choice in that size. I'd lean towards the GIIIs though.

Cal said:
You are allowed to fit H rated tyres to them now.

Cal.

That might be so in QLD, but are you sure it's OK in NSW?

No idea what the deal is in NSW. I assumed it would be the same.

Cal.

All,

On my '89 Series 1 car I run Dunlop FM901's at the mo which are only H rated...

When I next need tyres I am going to slip the 15's onto it and get something like a Bridgestone GIII....I had a set of these on my 505 GTI 195/60/15 and they were tops!

Ben

ive got the bridgestone potenza GIII on my 14" ers (someone had taken the 15's off :cry: ),when i find a set of 15"s i will probably go for FM901's like i had on my Honda, they were really good, althugh the bridgestones are pretty good too

does anyone know what the potenza's are rated? and what do the ratings actually mean? :confused:

Lincoln as i mentioned i was thinking of putting bigger size wheels on the 405.. i have looked on the miata site with the wheel calculator...

If i put 16's on it for the speedo to be as close to perfect as possible (when going 100km will actually be going 100.2km)

The tyre size, has to be... 205 45 16"

For 17's Ect... (100km will actually be 99.9km)

Tire size will need to be... 225 35 17"

Wouls you say it would even be worth it... also what tyres would even come in this size... and what of these to choices would be the better of the 2.

I will say that the 14's are ok. but i want something a little lower profile i think... A bit more sporting... i realise by doing this it may cause probs with the speedo. would it be worth it...

I guess i might just have to deal with what i have. other wise i might at least up size to the 15's size old the later Mi16's...

I wouldn't tend to go to 17s on an MI16, I just think it'd ruin the handling a bit.

Andreas, what were you running on your Mi16?

If you ran 16s, you can run basically every tyre I mentioned in the 195/55 thread, plus the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 which Justin is now running on his 307. You can also run the Dunlop SP Sport 9000s which are OK, I'd take the Goodyears over them.

You can also run Pirelli PZero Neros and probably Bridgestone S02s and SO3s (I haven't confirmed Bridgestone for you).

I would personally try and get some 15s and run FM901s or Yoko AVS ES100s.

I run 205/45/16's on mine. They are on late model 206 GTI wheels. The turn in is a fair bit sharper than the 14's. However as I have Azenis RS on the 14's and Goodyear Eagle F1's on the 16's, the outright grip is better with the 14's. I would recommend the 16's with some sticker rubber. The car looks a lot better too. I think the 14's always looked too small on the Mi16. ;)

Cheers,

Cal.

Cal said:
You are allowed to fit H rated tyres to them now. I have Azenis RS on my 14" rims. Also liked the A539s I had before.

Cal.
Digging up an old thread....

I called the RTA today, and they told me you can run any tyre rating, so long as if you run a lower spec one that specified by the manufacturer, you have a sticker stating that in a place clearly visible to the driver. Although I do believe he mentioned something about you can't run anything below an S rated tyre on any car, but he didn't sound so sure.

This is the case for NSW. No idea what applies in other states.

You still might have problems with your insurance. My insurer (AAMI) says that so long as it's OK with the RTA, it's OK by them.

It was once the case in Qld too. Some time ago they took away the stupid sticker rule.

Cal.