185/65r15 tyres

jo proffi

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm back to driving a small car, the povo spec clio 4. Am really enjoying the steering and overal nimbleness of her, especialy coming from the koleos which steers a bit like a small truck

I think the tyres are the oe tyres (ym2015) and keeping the power down is a bit of an issue. Also starting to squeal around roundabouts and people are giving me funny looks, even though I’m going the same speed as everyone else.

Is there an obvious standout tyre in the higher end of that relatively cheap market? It looks like shy of $200 gets the best tyre in the size….eg michi energy xm2+, eagle gt3, ecopia ep300. Conti. Tc6, cc7, eco contact 6.

i suppose low noise and wet performance would be my main criteri.

Don‘t forget Dunlop FM800, especially if your priority is wet grip

THe high end Contis ( premium contact etc ) are excellent, the Eco series not so good but still a safe choice, depending on how many heroics you plan

I have ( through an error by supplier ) Tech Contact 6s on front of the 404, which gets flogged on wet, windy roads and dirt. They are NOT as good as the Conti PC2‘s he previously wore, but are still pretty good.

They are destined for the rear wheels when I can find something of PC2/PC6 standard. I may have to settle for the Dunlops, but this would be no great loss as they are very good.

Good Luck

Andrew

Given one of your stated criteria of choice (wetgrip), I think that you do indeed have a "standout" tyre. I agree with Andrew that the FM 800 should be considered & go further in saying that nothing else in the size would come close. I wouldn't fit any of the tyres you list given the mediocre wet grip of each.

As for noise, I have no idea of the comparative merits of any of them. I have had FM 800 but the fitment vehicles have lots of other noise so tyre noise is not noticed.

Anyway, I suggest that wet grip is the more important criterion. I can't imagine you being disappointed with the FM 800 & a bonus is that they are often available on a "4 for the price of 3" deal.

Yes I would also recommend the FM800. I'm on my second set on the Laguna V6. Not only do they have good wet grip, they are also reasonably quiet and last reasonably well to. I personally think that the FM800 is a very good value for money tyre.

Thanks guys..

bad news, fm800 doesn’t exist anymore in that size. Tried jax and bob Jane..

:unsure:

But it might in 195/60r15. And cheaper

the tyre placard reads…..185/65/r15 or. 195/55/r16

thoughts?

Have Conti CC6 under the floorpan of the Up.
Absolutely magic - grip, wear, noise.........

A few things:

First, it is worth changing the size to chase a good tyre type. If the FM 800 isn't available in 185/65 but is in 195/60, then I'd make the change. The only other type in either size which attracts is Bridgestone's RE003 (195/60). I have had multiple fitments on two Foresters & like them as a wet tyre. But: the Forester is AWD &, having recommended them to another frogger, I was embarrassed to have him report poor traction under acceleration in the wet from his FWD 205 gti. So, if that's likely to be an issue, avoid them.

Second, 195/60 is only 1.2% smaller in circumference than 185/65 & gearing will be unnoticeably shorter. You could use an existing 185/65 as the spare without worrying about diff. stress if it had to be fitted.

Third, although 185/65 might be a deleted line, that it's still listed on each web site suggests that it's a recent deletion. So: there might still be stock floating around in the system. My Bob Jane franchise owner will hunt out stuff for me & so might your local guys. Only thing to get checked before you hand over money is stock manufacturing date.

cheers! Peter

Hankook were OK on the old Fuego, dunno what variation though - black as out there...:) Soft rubber. Conti SC5 on the Latitude hang on pretty well as well
Bob

It's a matter of what is available in the sizes.
The only Hankook available (in each size as it happens) is the Kinergy Eco2. It's to be avoided if possible on wet grip grounds.
The SC5 is a very nice wet grip tyre but not available in either size. The ComfortContact & EcoContact types available are mediocre in the wet (& the former, especially, is soggy in response - not that crisp response is an identified criterion).

I’m left thinking that maybe I’m overthinking this and after coming from the koleos, maybe even a lucky coin tyre would feel like a pilot super sport In comparison.

what is clear is I’m absolutely loving the precise and light steering of the Clio, and its ability to shift and dart the car around with no complaints from the car.
apart from the lack of dry traction and associated American movie style tyre squeal, I m not hating the 9 year old Goodyear that are on the car. I just fear the day the guy in front hits the brakes in the wet, or one tyre blows out.

on the fuego, I remember the same light precision steering destroyed by going from 195/55r 15 to 205/50r15, and I’m apprehensive to take that risk, especially as it seems these tyres all last a long time and without being wasteful, I’ll be stuck with them for a while.

on the re003 subject, I had quite a few sets of them on the fuego, and found they were in a class of their own at that fragile zone beyond good traction, the zone where the ps3 simply folded over and turned to mush.
for this car though, I want the ps3 well mannered and sofisticated behaviour as I’m a little older and just can’t see myself wanting to take the risks i did in the fuego. I don’t have a paddock full of clios either, so I can’t afford to bend stuff!!

Just been talking to our local Goodyear/Dunlop tyre service, who explained current supply shortages.

Goodyear/Dunlop are pulling out of Australia - their tyres will still be available, but they will be supplied from independent tyre wholesalers.

Currently the only Goodyear/Dunlop tyres available are whatever they still have in their Australian warehouses. These warehouses will close on March 31 and tyre services will be able to order from the independent wholesalers from April 1st.

So supply of these brands will not really settle down until some time after April Fools Day!

PS - managed to order a couple of FM800 205x65R15 for the old 605 today, but it took some ringing around to locate them.

Don't underthink it either. The Powergy is not much of a wet tyre & that is the key criterion of choice.
I think that a conversation with BJ or Jax about tyre size availability for the FM 800 after April 1 might be in order.

Hankook were OK on the old Fuego, dunno what variation though - black as out there...:) Soft rubber. Conti SC5 on the Latitude hang on pretty well as well
Bob
Hancook are Optimo K406, worked well, bit old now I'd reckon.... :)
The V8 ute had Dunlop Courier I think, made the thing manageable unloaded.
Bob

A further thought: although they will supply them, sometimes the BJ & Jax websites do not comprehensively list available Goodyear tyres (among others).

A case in point is the EfficientGrip Performance. Goodyear's site & Tyrepower each still list it in 185/65-15. It's a nice "wet" tyre & worth adding to any stock-availability conversations you have.

According to my search Beaurepaire have the FM800 in 185/65R15 for $222.00 and also have the 4 for 3 deal going

According to my search Beaurepaire have the FM800 in 185/65R15 for $222.00 and also have the 4 for 3 deal going

Goodyears even cheaper on sale there - $150 a throw. I’ve had a set of these and they were good. Running GoodyeR eagles on the Alfa and quite like. Not a massive fan of the Goodyear Newtons I have on one of my mountain bikes though…

Goodyears even cheaper on sale there - $150 a throw. I’ve had a set of these and they were good. Running GoodyeR eagles on the Alfa and quite like. Not a massive fan of the Goodyear Newtons I have on one of my mountain bikes though…

That works out at about $50 for a set of 4 tyres just up to Jo to decide which one on his preferences.