17 Gordini - What's so special?

Virage Racer

Fellow Frogger
I've got the opportunity to buy an R1317 - in boxes of course, the worst kind of challenge!

Just what are the differences between the 17TS and the 17G, and how difficult is it to find a 17G these days?

Godd 17G's are quite rare, many have succumbed to rust. My thoughts being because of a French steel strike in 1974/75 caused recycled poor quality Eastern Bloc steel to be used.

OK Aus spec version 761 17 Gordini has evaporative emission controls, rear fuel tank under floor, square fuel filler flap in LH rear panel. Also interior differences between the TS and G are inertia reel front belts, tinted side glass, shaped sunvisors around the interior mirror, tombstone seats and hazard flashers. Also for some reason they seemed to miss on the oil cooler, but they have the remote fuel filter mounting.

Mechanically they are identical to the 17TS, the name change because the 12G was discontinued in 1974, and the 17G was to take over the Gordini name for the 1975 model year. The 17G runs from R1317 501 to 1667 (Aussie cars seem in the 1200's)on the oval plate before it was superseded by the series 2 body for the 1976 model year when the 17G was built in LHD only, and discontinued soon after.

See this site for more 15/17 info.
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9730/Reg/main.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9730/Reg/main.html</a>

Simon

Simon:
but they have the remote fuel filter mounting.
Ooops that should be remote oil filter, which is mounted on the RHF inner wing.

Simon

One of the "magic" bits to make sure you get is the genuine gearbox (type 365-34) - check for the round ID disc on one of the case bolts

This has an excellent set of ratios and is well matched to the power/torque curves of the engine.

Unfortunately, they are pretty rare, especially in good order. I would say it would make a BIG difference to the purchase price if the gearbox is dead or not the original model type...

Actually, Simon may be able to correct me, I think possibly the rear anti-roll bar is slightly thicker on R17G than R17TS?

<small>[ 08 July 2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Europa ]</small>

Thanks Simon, I've learned something.
I always wondered why my 17G doesn't have an oil cooler and the 17TS and the both the 12G's at work do.
I knew my 17G was very original when I bought it (thats why I bought it) but the lack of an oil cooler puzzled me.

David.

Thanks, guys.

Sure enough, the 365 box seems to be the only original part missing. The body has been in storage for the last 12 years, so has missed out on a lot of weather.

Does anyone have an idea how many 17G's came to Oz?

Cheers

Virage Racer:
The body has been in storage for the last 12 years, so has missed out on a lot of weather.

Does anyone have an idea how many 17G's came to Oz?

Cheers
Hmm, I remember looking at a gold 17G back in about 1990. That car had extensive rust then, along with a lot of other injection problems, so the fact that it has been undercover for the last 12 years is no guarantee. Check carefully!

As for the number of 17G's, no real idea. But there seems to be common agreement that there were 75 17TS's and G's imported in total.

Simon

Hi Guys,

if the car is cheap cos it has injection problems. Make sure you emphasise how bloody expensive and difficult they are to fix and diagnose (make sure you get the car good 'n' cheap). Don't worry to much though as the injection is the same as the D jetronic fitted to the Citroen DS, Mercs, Porshes, Volvo's, etc... It's VERY easy to diagnose if you have problems.

Most problems will be just dud wiring harnesses :D --ie: Very cheap to fix. I got a DS21 'Injection Electronique' running without to much difficulty that someone else had spent 15years tampering/butchering in order to try and fix it. --Really it's not that difficult! You just need a multi-meter, patience and a little common sense :p

seeya,
Shane L.

Nope, this one that we test drove had real problems with the injection besides the usual "known" ones, it seemed like a dud air pressure sensor. Also from memory they wanted about $4K just because it was a Gordini. Besides it had a Fuego gearbox fitted.

Another one of those cars you wonder who bought it and what happened to it. Never seen again from that day to this.

Simon

What State was it in Simon?
There was someone over here with a very rusty gold Gordini about 1990, they lived by the sea and the rust went straight through it, and from memory it ran like a heap of crap all the time.
Don't know what ever happened to it, probably rusted away to nothing in his back yard.

David.

Also I thought that in engine specs the R17G had low comp pistions, 1647cc where the 17TS had the higher comp 1605cc revvy ones thus making it abit more lively than the slightly more torquey lazy G unit..........

Thats what I hear, there was always the thought that the G owners had the badge, but the TS owners that the performance.......... even though the cars were so close in specs..................

cheers!

Europa:
Maybe the "Gordini" badge is just for the "Poseurs", TS is the real Tourisme Sport! :D
Some people just don't get it, all 17's, and 15's FWIW, were for posers!

Unless you are a motoring journalist of vast experience - not much! tongue
Out of interest what do you drive 'Mr twister'? mallet

Hold on to your hats ladies and gentelmen.

Well that been said, I'll consider myself a poser as I must say I do enjoy taking My R17 Down Surfas Paradise on a Sunday Afternoon, Cavil Ave Esplinard to be a little more presice, and watching all the rice boys stare give meh the thumbs up.

hehe.

Renault17:
Out of interest what do you drive 'Mr twister'? mallet
No need for formality, I'm just a normal dude, Twister will do.

My current ride is either a silver Volvo or a white Merc with blue top. I'm no car snob, performance and reliability are my bag.

Check it out guys, he drives a Volvo and a Merc and calls us possers.
I don't know about the TS had the perfomance and the Gordini had the name because my 76 Gordini is 1605cc and has hi comp pistons and to the best of my knowledge it's original.

David.

I have to agree with David, my Gordini is also a 1605cc. And hey we all love our cars for good, if different reasons. cheers!