16" wheels on a 205

DjB8V

Fellow Frogger
Can you over tyre a 205?

I'm thinking about 16" wheels and 205/40 tyres. I'm currently running Pepper pots if thats any help.

If I was to stay with my Pepperpots id be looking at 185/55 tyres.

The way I see it is that the big difference is the tyre profile.

To be honest there is a cost difference but I don't want it to dictate a decision.

Thanks,

Chris

Is the look the main criteria???

Jo

Whats wrong with 195/55/15 ???
Jo

I reckon I noticed a small gearing difference changing from pepperpots to 15's. When tyres were taken into account the height increased by about 15mm.

Maybe 14"-16" will be a big difference unless you get spray on tyres..... And then there's the weight:eek:

Check what the weight difference is, there would be nothing worse than a 205 with less acceleration and worse handling!

P.s. I fully understand you are currently squeezing some ponys from your 8v, I would hate you not to be able to get your hands on some of the buggers :D

Edit: was it you that was building the gearbox from a few? Maybe it can be accounted for there?

Someone smart will comment soon....

I have thought about 15s but they are really expensive. A set of 15s for a 205 work like this, you get a set of steel wheels from C3 or C4 which cost the same amount as a decent set of 16s (mind you I am talking second hand when to wheels).

That leaves me with 15" Speedline. All I can say to that is, not going to happen. They are great looking wheels but if I was going to spend 7 - 800 + on wheels then I would start looking at Compomotive wheels or something.

As I'm sure you all have seen there are a couple of sets of 206GTI Nimrods for sale. I'm think these might be a cheaper alternative (and yes, they do look cool).

Chris

Edit: was it you that was building the gearbox from a few? Maybe it can be accounted for there?

Yes it me getting a Frankenstien g/b sorted..... The final drive is pretty low (4.43)

A few people have commented that the 205 with big wheels can look and ride like a skateboard. To me 15's look like the right balance and there is no risk about extra weight etc. Keep the pepperpots until you know for sure.

The best wheel for a 205 is the SL434 15x6.75. It's a great time to buy them now from France.

A few people have commented that the 205 with big wheels can look and ride like a skateboard. To me 15's look like the right balance and there is no risk about extra weight etc. Keep the pepperpots until you know for sure.

Thats sounds pretty good. My next question would be does anyone know would having the centre cap section of of a Pepperpot wheel machined out damaged the wheel or make it weaker?

I want to do this so I can undo the hub nut easier and so I don't have to go over to Ringwood everytime I want them balanced.

Chris

The best wheel for a 205 is the SL434 15x6.75. It's a great time to buy them now from France.

I did look into these but shipping is what scares me with buying wheels internationally.

Does anyone have a rough cost of what this would cost for a set?

Chris

can anyone provide a website for the SL434 wheels? i cant find any when searching

they are the ducks nuts, i would save for them.

Chris, I also highly recommend the OZ ultraleggerras as on my car, but I think they are pricey.

It is but shipping could sting me. Also, lets not forget, I still have to put rubber on them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cheap bars_ _ _ d, but I'm not made of money either.

I do like SL434s

Chris