Wanted- ds23 bare chassis

cocoelguapo

Fellow Frogger
Hi,
I am in the process of parting out a DS23 but before I put the last nail in its coffin I thought I'd ask.
Does anyone have a non rusted or little rust DS23 chassis for sale?
I'm in VIC but would travel (within reason).

Hi,
I am in the process of parting out a DS23 but before I put the last nail in its coffin I thought I'd ask.
Does anyone have a non rusted or little rust DS23 chassis for sale?
I'm in VIC but would travel (within reason).

Where is it rusty that you think it needs replacing. If your thinking the boot .... This can be repaired with sections purchased from "the usual places". Almost all late D's have a rusty boot due to the foam seal (that also leaks water into the floor).

It's there but also the roof. The parcel shelf, wheel arches, the box frame, the front A pillar and other places. My plan was to blast the frame and see but when I saw the box frame rusted I thought that's it. Is there such a thing as a bare frame? Has one ever been sold here before?

It's there but also the roof. The parcel shelf, wheel arches, the box frame, the front A pillar and other places. My plan was to blast the frame and see but when I saw the box frame rusted I thought that's it. Is there such a thing as a bare frame? Has one ever been sold here before?

You must mean the big box sections you step over to get into the car.... 'C'pillars (including areas of the parcel shelf), roof frame, the rear wheel arches where the guards sit on them .... the boot opening, the boot walls and the boot floor are "standard" DS rusting points. They are a hull design. It would be a monumental job to change a "DS hull".

H88-Citroen-DS-Galvanized.jpg

imagine all the little brackets, rubbers, gasket etc... you would need.

True. But I would have all the brackets and what not as I have a complete car in the garage. Wouldn't all that have to come off anyway to soda blast the car?

True. But I would have all the brackets and what not as I have a complete car in the garage. Wouldn't all that have to come off anyway to soda blast the car?

If you want a project .... Go For It ... keep in mind, a car in pieces will take the space of several intact cars. Take lots of photos as it comes apart.... Any hull you buy will likley not be "bare" either way, so it will be a matter of moving just the motor/gearbox and panels over. I wouldn't sandblast or strip a "good" rust free hull. I'd paint the areas I could get to, and fill everywhere else with oil. But that's just me :)

seeya,
Shane L.

I meant no disrespect mate. I take on all advice but if a hull was to come along the pieces are there. Moreover as you say a hull is unlikely to be bare.

and a hull for an auto not a manual would be required.... there are several rusty and smashed auto wrecks for sale at george hamadas deceased estate, contact david gries he is acting for the family in disposing of the wrecks there. but they might be worse than the one you want to fix........

and a hull for an auto not a manual would be required.... there are several rusty and smashed auto wrecks for sale at george hamadas deceased estate, contact david gries he is acting for the family in disposing of the wrecks there. but they might be worse than the one you want to fix........
Hi Jon
I thought there was no difference. BVM BVH or BVA.
What makes a shell an automatic one...?
Many thanks
Mark...:)

Sent from my SM-G935F using aussiefrogs mobile app

I'd thought they were the same shell, but with different bolt on bits and possibly some differences in those captive nuts you find fitted in various holes around the scuttle? It's not really that hard to swap over all the little parts to a bare shell as it's really a large mechanical jigsaw puzzle. The areas I initially thought might be a little daunting in such a swap were the piping inside the sills and the back end, but in reality, they are no more difficult than pulling the same sort of parts apart up front. With an increasing selection of repair parts available of the shelf, it's a lot easier, if not necessarily cheaper, than it once was to restore one of these cars. For example, if you are paying a pro, buying a new rear wheelarch is probably cost-effective compared to having that tradesperson repair one with rust in several areas. DIY is a different balance of values, but it depends on ability vs time and the relative level of poverty of the owner.

Note : little issue of reinforcing of the H frame to support a 23.

My frame has just undergone the same repairs as you have listed. I did buy repro inner guards of which the right hand side needed to be fettled a little but did come with all the bits of metal that are needed. This worked out to be the same price overall as buying the individual bits (bumper holders etc). My parcel shelf (known as a ‘hat rack’ by my supplier) was remanufactured by my beater. I also had to replace the rear most panel (purchased repro), Z panel and boot floor which were fabricated as one piece to remove future potential seam issues. Also the elephant ears are repro.

C-pillars and flashings are now repro. The tops of the A-pillars were they join the roof cantrail needed work and the door rubber holders have been replaced. I was very lucky in that the main spars had only one small rust area that got sectioned out and are otherwise in very good nick.

All fabricated metal is 1.2mm steel and is much meatier and stiffer than the original or repro product.

Do you have any photos of the rusted box frame?

There's a DS left hand drive on Carsales for $10k that looks to have a great body
If it checks out I would buy it and swap your bits onto it.
Just a suggestion
Glenn

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

The problem with that is my money is tied in this one and by the time I get the money together for the other it'll be long gone.

Hello, if repairing your rusty one is, as you said, too much for you, then I can't see how you will be any better off buying an unknown hull. They are all at least 40 years old and were never properly rustproofed.
Me? I'd sell the rusty one as one lump and then buy a decent one. There will be plenty to do to keep you amused, you may even be able to spend time driving it. Otherwise you can look forward to years of frustration and expense, finally getting pissed off with it and selling the whole lot for peanuts.
Let some other mug (sorry, enthusiast like me) do all the hard work and expense.
And don't worry, there will always be another one for sale

OK,

I sold a D special frame for $1,000 a few years ago, There is no difference between a D special, and a DS23 auto frame, well not that I'm aware of?

What would I know?

If so tell me?

best regards,

Greg

cocoelguapo,

PM me, and I'll see what I can find for you to repair you chassis?

There is so much available now to repair everything,.

I thing I a can put you in the right direction?

best regards,

Greg

best regards,

Greg

Hello, if repairing your rusty one is, as you said, too much for you, then I can't see how you will be any better off buying an unknown hull. They are all at least 40 years old and were never properly rustproofed.
Me? I'd sell the rusty one as one lump and then buy a decent one. There will be plenty to do to keep you amused, you may even be able to spend time driving it. Otherwise you can look forward to years of frustration and expense, finally getting pissed off with it and selling the whole lot for peanuts.
Let some other mug (sorry, enthusiast like me) do all the hard work and expense.
And don't worry, there will always be another one for sale

LOL.(Un)fortunately I am not one to pass on problems to others even though some pass them onto me. I am all for selling it as a whole if someone can use parts off it or is willing to restore. I am truly torn on this one, I think I’ll part it out and it can be used to keep others on the road and then catch myself thinking it’s such a shame to let a DS23 Pallas be dismantled.
I finally found a way to post photos so I’ll attach them.DSC_0020.jpgDSC_0021.jpgDSC_0022.jpgDSC_0023.jpgDSC_0024.jpgDSC_0025.jpgDSC_0026.jpg

Do you think it's worth while? Did you see the photos??
If I had 20K to spend on the body alone then I wouldn't fret it but unfortunately I don't. 25 to 30k was my entire budget. I thought I'd get one and do it up as money permits but the chief financial officer, read wife, has set a budget for whatever car I decide to buy. In all honesty I always wanted a mustang but I love the DS and therefore when this one came up I jumped on it.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg