106 wheels

106ollie

Fellow Frogger
Hey guys,

I recently had a near totaling of my beautiful 106. and i was considering some more grip.
I was wondering what everyones thoughts were about wheels and tires when it came to the 106?

I only have the stardard 1.1 injection.
So im thinking a nice set of 14"alloys with low profiles?

Another question for any guys in the UK. Do you recon a K&N induction kit is worth the extra on insurance?

Thanks alot

Ollie

Howdy Ollie; although your first question is sort of general, 106's weren't sold in Australia so you might get limited responses (yeah, I know the second one was directed at the UK). Still, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help with general questions not specific to a model.

Stuey

Thought about lowering the air pressure in the tyresa little. It will give you more grip in this weather and not driving it so hard. Until the weather drys up again

Any how thats the cheap solution

Note yoko ar539 don't work so good in the wet and don't put alloys on bigger than 15s on
I seen what happen to novas with 17 on. Unless you like replacing the bearings in the hub
on a regular basis.

Smokes

Howdy Smokie....the bearing issue only comes up when the wheel has a different offset to the original wheels - usually outward - and the excess leverage on the bearings overloads them. If the bigger wheel has the same offset (equal increase in width both inwards and outwards so there's no 'tilting load' on the wheel) it won't affect the bearings.

Hi Ollie

Well it's your money and your call. But if you want another view ... I know its always tempting to splash out on this kind of stuff, and fun for a while, but I'd really think about sticking the dosh in a savings account and working towards a Saxo VTR or 106 GTI or Rallye. They're all brilliant and will give you about the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and now I'm living outside the UK it makes me realise just how cheap and plentiful these cars are at home. A 106 1.1 is a good car but you'll never get back half what you spend on goodies, you may even lower the value. And wide low profile tyres slide too!

If that dosh really is burning a hole in your pocket then how about a skid-pan driving or rally course. Great fun, next time it really slides you can deal with it better (maybe even enjoy it), and you'll keep the benefit of it when you trade up.

If you want good info on 106 upgrades you could try Larton Auto Developments (LAD) in Morcambe. They're the Daddies for 106/Saxo/205s (though I think they're better on engines than suspension). http://www.ladmotorsport.co.uk/

Enjoy it whatever
Cheers, Jon