Tool Talk

In the building industry now? 25 MPa is not something I would have had much use for - footpath mix, with a tendency for the surface to wear. You didn't mention slump.

In the building industry now? 25 MPa is not something I would have had much use for - footpath mix, with a tendency for the surface to wear. You didn't mention slump.

She'll be right .... its way better than gravel. I don't think I'd ever wear it out. It'll probably just end up with cars parked on it. The slab in the shed is 90mm thick with no re-enforcement or moisture membrane.... and also no doubt 25MPa (cheapest shit the previous owner could do) and it's holding in there 15 years later (even though it sweats moisture in winter).

"one day" when I have money, I'll have professionals build a good 12 x 12 meter slab beside the shed, and put a decent shed up there :)

This will get your OCD going :ROFLMAO:

20240412_164506.jpg

Could it be anymore perfect? So what I mean by better than gravel. Its downhill towards the back corner of the shed, not level, otherwise there would be no roof height (being a leanto). it would probably be good for presssure washing and cleaning in, as water will just run outside :confused:

20240412_164525.jpg

Yep, perfect, that won't be shiny and slippery when wet :clown:

Be careful pressure washing it. If you think it will get oily, put a coating on it. Chlorinated rubber paints aren't expensive.

Be careful pressure washing it. If you think it will get oily, put a coating on it. Chlorinated rubber paints aren't expensive.
I put that PVA glue type sealer into the area of the shed the office is in ... and its never leached moisture up through the floor, there.... so that is probably the go. I'm not overly concerned. Its better than gravel. That tiny bit of concrete there ( 6 x 6 meters) is $1200 worth :eek:

So if your trying to tidy up under the leanto and slop some concrete around .... Take notice of the text messages they send you.

View attachment 239819

Last week I ordered a couple of meters of concrete and slopped it kinda level for the first 6 x 3 meter section. It worked out ok. I got it levelish and roughish (I don't want a floated shiny smooth surface).

View attachment 239820

So I did the same thing this week for another 6 x 3 meter section. Did you notice the difference in teh messages?

I did about 1/4 of the way through levelling the slop out when I thought "why does this feel like its starting to kick off"... Hmmmm... talk about a bloody scramble to try and get it level'ish before it was to thick to move.

See the messages? In the week I chose, they changed from summer mix, to winter mix. I'm guessing winter mix sets a lot more quickly to take into account the theoretical lower temperatures :eek: Talk about bloody frantically trying to level it. It get very hard to level with a board as it starts kicking off. Yes I did hose it a little to add some water. And I thought the first lot was rough .... Well the 2nd lot is a lot rougher..... I was starting to think the floor was going to be wheel barrow sized domes of concrete there for a bit 🤣
Yes, the season does not always change on time.

I bought some 2k auto paint last week. I asked for "slow" hardener but was told none available until next summer. I guess I must now wait for cooler weather to spray my "normal" mix.
At least I am not stuck with a "fast" hardener!

My inheritance was a massive ex-farm tool collection, alas not suited for anything much made post-war. I only kept a few that were still useful (prewar German spanners etc), and some for sentimental reasons. Recently I culled some again. Who needs Whitworth any more? I spread a lot amongst family members, though I regret losing a large vise.
I need whitworth, increasingly hard to find, except for the basics :(

Andrew

Chlorinated rubber paints are lacquers and therefore have very poor solvent resistance. The only 'chlorinated rubbers' with some sort of solvent resistance are chlorinated rubbers modified by the addition of alkyd resin, which compromises some of the other good properties of chlorinated rubber. Overall, a two pack epoxy would be far preferable, and even a tung oil based paving paint would be better than chlorinated rubber in that application!

Agreed, but epoxy is very expensive, and DC buys cheap concrete. Chlorinated rubber preparations are often why tyres squeal at carparks. It can be applied to fresh concrete as a curing agent, and keeps the slab reasonably hose down clean afterwards. Resurfacing is also easy.

Agreed, but epoxy is very expensive, and DC buys cheap concrete. Chlorinated rubber preparations are often why tyres squeal at carparks. It can be applied to fresh concrete as a curing agent, and keeps the slab reasonably hose down clean afterwards. Resurfacing is also easy.
wouldn't you just prefer a concrete sealer? I'm thinking all the oil and lhm will do a good job like it has everywhere else :whistle:

Cost per litre needs to be adjusted by 'volume solids' (VS) of each coating. Volume solids is the percentage the dried film is of the wet film. The VS of individual epoxies varies greatly, but 80 - 85% is typical of high build high solids epoxies and epoxy mastics, while epoxy enamels might be around 50%, Chlorinated rubbers typically would be in the range from 25 - 35%. Typically an epoxy sold as a floor coating would be at least double the VS of a chlorinated rubber. You are right about the ease of recoating and touching up with chlorinated rubber. It is typically far easier than with an epoxy, but then you're likely to have to do it far more often!

I must have applied a colossal amount of this stuff in my construction days, curing general purpose slabs and epoxy coating industrial floors (mostly trowelled, and $$$). Just as well the curing stuff was clear, as the application nozzle was pretty rough. Touching up afterwards was done the same way. As you can see I wasn't a paint tech.

That VSD should do the job OK.

Three phase motors come wired in either star or delta configuration. Looking at the name plate I reckon that motor configuration is easily changed. I'm guessing that your lathe was used on a three phase supply so you need to take the cover off the junction box and see how it is configured. With that VSD you will want it in Delta configuration so that you can get the most power and torque out of the motor. Take a pic of the inside the motor terminal box and post on here and I will tell you what configuration you have.

With that VSD you can either control the motor from the front panel of you can remotely control the motor. There are some terminals inside the VSD that you can connect remote switches. There is also a menu which is accessed from the buttons on the VSD to configure the VSD for local/remote control and set speed etc.

I have a VSD and three phase motor setup for my lathe but as yet have not fitted it. One of those round tuit jobs. I'm currently running a single phase motor.

I'm pretty sure it was used on 3-phase. Is this the picture you were requesting?

I'm ordering the VSD shortly, and, from what I've read, the instructions are pretty rubbish. Any help will assist...

Attachments

• motor wiring.jpg
    motor wiring.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 22
I must have applied a colossal amount of this stuff in my construction days, curing general purpose slabs and epoxy coating industrial floors (mostly trowelled, and $$$). Just as well the curing stuff was clear, as the application nozzle was pretty rough. Touching up afterwards was done the same way. As you can see I wasn't a paint tech.
Ok, you have convinced me ... I'll try some on the rest of the slab ... and see if it actually sticks. paint tends to just lift off. I did google it and it comes up as "pool paint" ... 🤔

I'm pretty sure it was used on 3-phase. Is this the picture you were requesting?

I'm ordering the VSD shortly, and, from what I've read, the instructions are pretty rubbish. Any help will assist...
That is a 3 phase motor, it is missing the links (little brass plates with a hole in each end). In the diagram below you can see how star and delta connections are made. To get the best torque from the motor you will need to connect the motor up in delta.

1713003355389.png

Also you may want to check to make sure it is connected up in a standard 3 phase configuration by making sure there is continuity between U1 to U2, V1 to V2 and WI to W2.

No labels :eek: ... You might have to pull the motor apart and see where each wire goes?

DC - the stuff used in construction is transparent. It used primarily to lock in water during curing. Poorly cured low cement concrete will degrade at the surface. Afterwards it keeps the slab clean. Pool paint is usually tinted.