Tool Talk

Customer service counts....
during last week I rang a few places and emailed others etc.... Just looking for a new trailer, the only mob that wanted to talk to me were Lyal Eales....
View attachment 237701
so they got the money.... :)
8x5 600mm cage, wysiwyg, no options stuffing about. Seeing as VicRoads are now getting anal about 6x4 and questioning the tare mass the little ones are getting pointless - just get what you really want and pay the rego each year [unless you are part of an elite group.....]
Rides really well and no rattles 'n bangs like the rusty old one, 'cept of course, as usual, the bloody indicators are reversed - which will be my fault of course despite me having nothing to do with wiring of trailer or Kangoo [dealer tow bar install].
aaah "Bigman Trailer"....
Bob

these chinesium trailers look fancy. The last one I looked at that was similar to this I thought "wow, heavy duty" as the frame looked big. Crawl under it or look under hte hitch at the thickness of the metal in the drawbar. I reckon they were 0.8mm (inc the galvanising). I'd find a good heavy duty used trailer for less money myself :)

i've just been searching ... as I saw one that would be great pop up earlier today on FB marketplace, but can't find it now. It was a big aluminium ute tray with swing down gates (so it could be loaded with a forklift etc ) ... on a heavy duty frame. I guess I'm not the only one that sees something that looks decent and grabs it immediatly :)

these chinesium trailers look fancy. The last one I looked at that was similar to this I thought "wow, heavy duty" as the frame looked big. Crawl under it or look under hte hitch at the thickness of the metal in the drawbar. I reckon they were 0.8mm (inc the galvanising). I'd find a good heavy duty used trailer for less money myself :)
That looks like that trailer has no brakes so remember that in most states that the trailer and the load can not be more than 750 Kg. The tare weight of the 250 Kg so you can only put a pay load of 500 Kg to be legal. So the more tare weight the less pay load.

That looks like that trailer has no brakes so remember that in most states that the trailer and the load can not be more than 750 Kg. The tare weight of the 250 Kg so you can only put a pay load of 500 Kg to be legal. So the more tare weight the less pay load.
for the use of rubbish to the tip and garden waste .... you don't really need any weight carrying capacity (I imagine this is Bobs use). If he's going to be loading it with soil/rock/etc .... Yeah, I'd go twin axle next time myself, even if its small. I've bent the heavy duty axle on mine a couple of times now by putting things like pavers in it.

I don't think bob realises how good his falcan ute is. A big tray with swing down gates on the back of a ute its waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy bigger thna a 6 x 4 trailer

for the use of rubbish to the tip and garden waste .... you don't really need any weight carrying capacity (I imagine this is Bobs use). If he's going to be loading it with soil/rock/etc .... Yeah, I'd go twin axle next time myself, even if its small. I've bent the heavy duty axle on mine a couple of times now by putting things like pavers in it.

I don't think bob realises how good his falcan ute is. A big tray with swing down gates on the back of a ute its waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy bigger thna a 6 x 4 trailer
Its real easy to overload a trailer when carting things like soil, gravel and pavers. The larger the trailer the easier it is to do.

Wait until you see a small single axle trailer with a couple tons of ironbark in it.

this one is 8x5.... :) The ute has gone mate, sold to a local V8 lover, gone cheap but gone quick and pensioner rego moved to the Kangoo - I reckon I did alright.
Trailer will likely never get it's 1/2 tonne load, sand/soil/gravel only comes here in tip trucks, at a 40min round trip it's a no-brainer to opt for delivery... :) but is plenty big enough to bring home the odd 3M sticks and the like.
I told the missus "we'll get a canvas lid for it and go camping" I don't think she was impressed.... her thoughts are more along the lines of bringing home a couple of sheep !!
Bob

these chinesium trailers look fancy.......
Shane, it doesn't say where it's "made", just branded "Big Man Trailer" - their website doesn't state outright either. I suspect 'made in Oz from local and imported stuff'. It still had to pass ADR no matter where it comes from - haven't measured the section thicknesses but they "feel' close to 3mm.

Bob

Last edited:
Shane, it doesn't say where it's "made", just branded "Big Man Trailer" - their website doesn't state outright either. I suspect 'made in Oz from local and imported stuff'. It still had to pass ADR no matter where it comes from - haven't measured the section thicknesses but they "feel' close to 3mm.

Bob
there all chinese locally. They are imported as "parts". Yeah, parts... ie: the entire built trailer comes in .... and they bolt the axle on ... two parts make a trailer. The last time I looked, they sure looked impressive until you check the metal thickness of the frames etc...

A guy ran an ad on EBay a few years ago, I can't remember how he titled it, but it caught my attention, so I clicked in for a look.
Long story short, the guy built small trailers for a living. He bought a large tandem trailer (I think off EBay) to deliver his own trailers on. It was a nice looking thing, galvanised then powdercoated red. He did say what he was putting on it fully loaded, I can't recall the exact weight, but it was only around 1/2 of the trailer's rated carrying capacity. The A frame sheared off on him, and he took photos of the damage. Luckily for him the trailer stayed wedged into the back of the tow vehicle after it broke free. As Shane said, the metal was ridiculously thin (this one the guy measured the wall thickness at 1mm) and on top of that, in spite of being galvanised, all the internal surfaces were heavily rusted. The guy repaired it and ran a large stringer underneath both sides. Then the tow coupling broke off the A frame. The trailer was saved by the safety chains which he'd attached to the stringers.
After that happened he scrapped the nearly new trailer and ran the warning ad.
It's not like he was was trying to drum up business for himself as the biggest thing he made was a 7' x 5' box trailer.🤷‍♂️

Some of these Chinese made and assembled from Chinese parts trailers are downright dodgy when you look at them closely. There is at least one local manufacturer in Sydney, who hot dips the completed body, but these trailers aren't cheap. More affordable, but still expensive, models tend to simplify little details.

Oh, I hadn't realised Bob has already purchased the trailer (woops, there's me being negative again :clown: ). I'm sure it'll be fine for his use. The cage is particularly useful for loading rubbish/greenwaste on as it weighs little but take up a lot of space :)

Why didn't you just move the falcon to a club permit ( ~ $80 a year ) :whistle: That car was a keeper, nothing like it will ever be made again!

Oh, I hadn't realised Bob has already purchased the trailer (woops, there's me being negative again :clown: ). I'm sure it'll be fine for his use. The cage is particularly useful for loading rubbish/greenwaste on as it weighs little but take up a lot of space :)
ok, forgiven.....
There's that many rules for trailers you wouldn't believe it, check out VSB-1
and they keep changing it all the time to keep the buggers on their toes. They're probably trying to stamp out 'home made'....
Why didn't you just move the falcon to a club permit ( ~ $80 a year ) :whistle: That car was a keeper, nothing like it will ever be made again!
Not a club member mate, last time I looked they actually expected members to "participate", membership as a means to an end wasn't er, "liked".... :) then there's the painful roadworthy process....

Guy that has it now reckons that they've even had a whinge about the droopy headlining, particularly the pins that have held it up for the past decade.... It's a BA, ancient, gawd, it'd have many annoyances that mean bugger all to anyone except vicroads appointed jobsworths.... Of course the headlining was hanging when it was 'roadworthy' for transfer to me from the car yard, different rules for different applicants.

Bob

Last edited:
that's what's good about 'standards' - there's lots of 'em....
gawd, assimilate that lot !!

Here's how serious they are now....

DSC00423a.JPG

Bob

that's what's good about 'standards' - there's lots of 'em....
gawd, assimilate that lot !!

Here's how serious they are now....

View attachment 237756

Bob
Its all meaningless .... When I "make" my own trailers I just fill that in with whatever I want. Apparentlly they rules were changed recently, but I could still register I think it is 3 a year just by filling that plate in myself.

I think your days are over DC. The laws changed when the Commonwealth got involved in 2018. From July this year the rules are to be revised again. All that red tape applies.

You can make up to 4 home made trailer jobs per year (concessional trailers) which must comply with all the relevant design rules. They need to obtain an issued VIN.

The tough bit - they will need to be examined as an unregistered vehicle, together with a weighbridge ticket and receipts for all the materials and parts used.

I think your days are over DC. The laws changed when the Commonwealth got involved in 2018. From July this year the rules are to be revised again. All that red tape applies.

You can make up to 4 home made trailer jobs per year (concessional trailers) which must comply with all the relevant design rules. They need to obtain an issued VIN.

The tough bit - they will need to be examined as an unregistered vehicle, together with a weighbridge ticket and receipts for all the materials and parts used.
Non of that is hard to achieve, I made a trailer in 1983 (no VIN required then) but still needed weigh bridge certificate and inspection before being registered. I made another trailer in 1989 can't remember getting a weigh bridge certificate for that trailer but again needed inspection before being registered, also VIN numbers for trailers had been introduced by then so had to get a VIN number and stamp that on the draw bar.

Seeing as the tare weight of the trailer needs to go on the ID tag a weigh bridge certificate is best way to achieve this.

Its not real hard to keep all your receipts together and present them for registration. I reckon this would be for Government taxes for what the trailer is worth just like when a new car is registered.

There are still considerable savings to be had if you are handy at metal construction and willing to do a little leg work.

Yeah, we have always just gone up and got issued a VIN. Its no big deal, you just stamp it into the trailer and fill in the rest with whatever you like. Victoria puts the responsibility back on the owner for responsibility of roadworthiness of a trailer.

Given the price of metal these days, I doubt I could build a trailer for the price of one like Bobs .... However it would be MUCH more heavy duty for similar money :)

I buy light trailers second hand and still registered from other farmers. No inspections, no transfer fee, no registration fee.

By light trailers I mean towable by a car or ute. Heavy trailers for towing by trucks are a more complex matter.

Roger