My Review of 2019 Koleos ll after 2 years of ownership.

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Having owned the Koleos for more than 2 years now, I thought it timely to review my experience with the car.

It’s a 2019 Zen, 2.5L petrol 2WD auto (CVT). Ex Hertz rental car, purchased June 2021 with 30000ks, now up to approx. 62000ks.

11000 kms of that has been covered recently in Oct to Dec 2023 when we took a long road trip across the country, Perth – Melbourne – Sydney and return in 8 weeks, so I was able to conclude a few more things about the Koleos on country driving as well as its normal urban usage. (Some of this text is borrowed from my other thread in the General Chat forum).

Firstly, it was a very comfortable and reasonably quiet car to complete this trip. Would be even quieter without the roof racks and awning, but they were not particularly noticeable. I probably came to appreciate the car more after this trip, it exceeded my expectations to some extent.

One thing that I have had to revise my opinion of, and that is the CVT transmission. Not a fan of CVT, but I found on this trip it performed perfectly in all conditions including steep hilly country (ie, climbing from Batemans Bay to Canberra). With previous cars with conventional autos, I have usually found myself selecting either power mode or a lower gear when approaching a steep climb, just to make it feel better, but I realised during this trip I did not touch the gear lever at all, it was extremely good at being in the correct rev range under all conditions, and it felt like it was transferring the grunt of the engine without any "slippy" feeling at all. Excellent score for the CVT.

However, not the case under some conditions with cruise control selected. So I blame the cruise control interaction for this, not the CVT itself. I hadn't experienced it too much before, because we don't have too many hills over here in WA, haha. And I thought I had a defect, until by chance a post was put up on AF re the cruise control letting the engine rev to 4500-5000rpm even on medium gradients on the highway at around 100km/hr - same as my experience. At this speed on level road it was usually sitting on around 2000 rpm, and the overun was ridiculous. Having covered some roads several times, I experimented by driving some roads where the cruise had previously flared badly, not using cruise control, and holding the full speed required - never went over 3500rpm, and that included the Kings Hwy up from Batemans Bay, where I didn't bother with cruise control, and realised the CVT did a really good job. Not to say the cruise control wasn't useful for most of the trip, it was essential for me, but just not in hilly areas.

Another feature of the Koleos I really like is the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). It has a direct reading of all 4 wheels at any time when selected, displayed on the instrument panel. A couple of times a day, I would check the pressures while driving, so easy - didn't touch the gauge I carry in the console, which I usually would have used every morning on a trip such as this. I was running 38-40psi (2.6-2.7bar) due to the constant average speed. The TPMS is accurate enough to watch the pressure increase as the tyres warm up - interesting, and makes you realise the variance in initial pressure depending on the ambient temp.

The Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV tyres I fitted in 2022 were comfortable and reasonably quiet (only some noise on rough metal road surface), and to this date I have not had any front wheel loss of traction on wet roads, even when provoked, unlike the OE Nexen tyres. https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/koleos-2-tyre-thread.146363/

A necessary addition to the car before we left was window tinting. Although all the rear side and hatch windows are "privacy glass" from the factory, the front passenger and driver's windows have nil or very light tint, I had noticed the "burning" feeling on my right arm previously, and you don't want that heading West for 4-5 hours per day. I was just going to get the 2 front windows done, but the 3M guy convinced me the rear windows, although privacy glass, are not fully UV protected. I got a medium tint on the front windows (I didn't want maximum dark) and very light, but UV protected on the rear windows. If anyone wants to know the full spec, let me know. I had no feeling of burning, and vision was good, very happy with that.

Servicing has been minimal, and most items I have serviced have been easily carried out. Engine oil and filter change doesn’t require jacking, just a low ramp on the front wheels. I’m using genuine oil filter and Penrite HPR5 5w-40 full synthetic. Engine air filter is super easy, box hinges open to slide out old filter and slide in new filter. Not the same can be said for the cabin air filter, which is accessed from the LH passenger footwell after removing the glovebox and the glovebox support. The opening for the filter is some 30mm smaller than the filter, one has to compress the filter (like a piano accordion) to feed it in, then hope it expanded correctly inside. PITA job. Another easy job is the front brake pads, just remove one small bolt and swing the caliper top section up, leaving the pads easily accessible against the disc. My replacement pads are Bendix DB2345 – 4WD/SUV.

I have a love/hate relationship with the “walk away locking” feature. It is very convenient and you don’t forget to lock the car, but for some reason the “zone” cuts out about the front bumper level. You can walk around the back of the car and up to about 3 metres away before it locks, but not at the front. So you go to check under the bonnet and the doors lock. Or you get out to open the gate, and the doors lock. If the key is left in the car or the engine is running it does not lock, of course. Just took some getting used to, because I like the feature. Like when home from shopping, park car in carport, get out and open the tailgate before going back to shut the gate, for instance. Then the car remains unlocked for when you go back to get the shopping out of the boot! Another side-effect of this feature is that we recently hired a MG SUV in Victoria, and we kept forgetting to lock it – yes, we are being dumbed down. But I still like the feature.

On this recent road trip, mostly sitting on 100-105 km/hr, but with some urban driving included, it averaged 8.9 L/100km on 91 RON petrol, not too bad I suppose. This is actual consumption, not what the trip computer tells me, I recorded that also, and the trip computer is optimistic to say the least – average error 8.1% from actual – not to be trusted for distance remaining.

Probably, the worst feature of the Koleos for me is the blind spots caused by the outside rear view mirrors, as discussed in another thread somewhere. Compared to other similar cars (Forester, Rav4 for instance), there is no gap between the ‘A’ pillar and the mirror housing, so there is quite a wide area where vision is blocked. I am sitting higher than normal, and consciously looking for anything in the blind spot, but it still catches me out sometimes, especially a small car coming towards me on a small roundabout, the relative motion of both vehicles can block that car quite easily. I don’t think it is very good at all, but it’s not enough to get rid of the car, I will just remain more vigilant, I guess.

Overall, it’s been a pretty good car for us, nothing special, but that’s what I like in a car, I don’t want silly things to go wrong. It’s doing the job we want, it’s roomy and comfortable on short and long journeys. I like the car, but don’t have any strong feelings for it, like I have with some previous cars. It will do us for another while yet.

Hey fordy, great review, and pretty well mirrors my thoughts on our 2019 Intens, particularly the cruise control operation - worst I've ever driven. The other annoying feature is the cam chain rattle at cold start-up, but I just have to live with that. Continental tyres are a huge step up from the standard stuff that was fitted on purchase. The 'walk away lock' system caught us out once - I left my key at home but my wife had hers in her handbag, so the car started and drove fine. I dropped her off at a hospital, she just hopped out at the front door and I drove away. I did hear some dinging alarm as I drove away but it stopped and I saw nothing on the dash. Got out of the car at Bunnings, walked away, heard the car lock/beep. Getting back to the car I usually just walk up to the door and open it, the system picks up the presence of my key - didn't open. Pressed the little rubber button on the handle, nothing. Started looking in my bag - No Key!!!

Rang a taxi to take me to the hospital, picked up wifey key, taxi back to Bunnings, all good. What concerns me is that the car will pick up key 'presence' at quite a good distance, so we make sure we don't leave the keys anywhere near the carport - I have actually entered/started the car with the keys hanging on the key-hook just inside the back door...and it is possible to walk away from the car while it's still running !

Beautiful car to drive, big and safe, lots of airbags, electric steering is great, brakes have really nice feel through the pedal. Only reason I would not buy another one is that damn cruise control.

Yes, mine also has the rattly timing chain on cold start up - sounds terrible. But as others have said, it seems to be an accepted normal occurrence. I might experiment with next oil change.

The other comment I omitted to add, was that these Koleos are becoming very common these days. I see them everywhere, so obviously they are selling reasonably well. I think I saw that Koleos is the biggest seller for Renault Australia, so they aren't likely to drop them any time soon.

In fact, I even saw another one outside the Nullarbor Roadhouse when we were there in October - nice red/maroon one.

1705533448804.jpeg

Having owned the Koleos for more than 2 years now, I thought it timely to review my experience with the car.

It’s a 2019 Zen, 2.5L petrol 2WD auto (CVT). Ex Hertz rental car, purchased June 2021 with 30000ks, now up to approx. 62000ks.

11000 kms of that has been covered recently in Oct to Dec 2023 when we took a long road trip across the country, Perth – Melbourne – Sydney and return in 8 weeks, so I was able to conclude a few more things about the Koleos on country driving as well as its normal urban usage. (Some of this text is borrowed from my other thread in the General Chat forum).

Firstly, it was a very comfortable and reasonably quiet car to complete this trip. Would be even quieter without the roof racks and awning, but they were not particularly noticeable. I probably came to appreciate the car more after this trip, it exceeded my expectations to some extent.

One thing that I have had to revise my opinion of, and that is the CVT transmission. Not a fan of CVT, but I found on this trip it performed perfectly in all conditions including steep hilly country (ie, climbing from Batemans Bay to Canberra). With previous cars with conventional autos, I have usually found myself selecting either power mode or a lower gear when approaching a steep climb, just to make it feel better, but I realised during this trip I did not touch the gear lever at all, it was extremely good at being in the correct rev range under all conditions, and it felt like it was transferring the grunt of the engine without any "slippy" feeling at all. Excellent score for the CVT.

However, not the case under some conditions with cruise control selected. So I blame the cruise control interaction for this, not the CVT itself. I hadn't experienced it too much before, because we don't have too many hills over here in WA, haha. And I thought I had a defect, until by chance a post was put up on AF re the cruise control letting the engine rev to 4500-5000rpm even on medium gradients on the highway at around 100km/hr - same as my experience. At this speed on level road it was usually sitting on around 2000 rpm, and the overun was ridiculous. Having covered some roads several times, I experimented by driving some roads where the cruise had previously flared badly, not using cruise control, and holding the full speed required - never went over 3500rpm, and that included the Kings Hwy up from Batemans Bay, where I didn't bother with cruise control, and realised the CVT did a really good job. Not to say the cruise control wasn't useful for most of the trip, it was essential for me, but just not in hilly areas.

Another feature of the Koleos I really like is the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). It has a direct reading of all 4 wheels at any time when selected, displayed on the instrument panel. A couple of times a day, I would check the pressures while driving, so easy - didn't touch the gauge I carry in the console, which I usually would have used every morning on a trip such as this. I was running 38-40psi (2.6-2.7bar) due to the constant average speed. The TPMS is accurate enough to watch the pressure increase as the tyres warm up - interesting, and makes you realise the variance in initial pressure depending on the ambient temp.

The Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV tyres I fitted in 2022 were comfortable and reasonably quiet (only some noise on rough metal road surface), and to this date I have not had any front wheel loss of traction on wet roads, even when provoked, unlike the OE Nexen tyres. https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/koleos-2-tyre-thread.146363/

A necessary addition to the car before we left was window tinting. Although all the rear side and hatch windows are "privacy glass" from the factory, the front passenger and driver's windows have nil or very light tint, I had noticed the "burning" feeling on my right arm previously, and you don't want that heading West for 4-5 hours per day. I was just going to get the 2 front windows done, but the 3M guy convinced me the rear windows, although privacy glass, are not fully UV protected. I got a medium tint on the front windows (I didn't want maximum dark) and very light, but UV protected on the rear windows. If anyone wants to know the full spec, let me know. I had no feeling of burning, and vision was good, very happy with that.

Servicing has been minimal, and most items I have serviced have been easily carried out. Engine oil and filter change doesn’t require jacking, just a low ramp on the front wheels. I’m using genuine oil filter and Penrite HPR5 5w-40 full synthetic. Engine air filter is super easy, box hinges open to slide out old filter and slide in new filter. Not the same can be said for the cabin air filter, which is accessed from the LH passenger footwell after removing the glovebox and the glovebox support. The opening for the filter is some 30mm smaller than the filter, one has to compress the filter (like a piano accordion) to feed it in, then hope it expanded correctly inside. PITA job. Another easy job is the front brake pads, just remove one small bolt and swing the caliper top section up, leaving the pads easily accessible against the disc. My replacement pads are Bendix DB2345 – 4WD/SUV.

I have a love/hate relationship with the “walk away locking” feature. It is very convenient and you don’t forget to lock the car, but for some reason the “zone” cuts out about the front bumper level. You can walk around the back of the car and up to about 3 metres away before it locks, but not at the front. So you go to check under the bonnet and the doors lock. Or you get out to open the gate, and the doors lock. If the key is left in the car or the engine is running it does not lock, of course. Just took some getting used to, because I like the feature. Like when home from shopping, park car in carport, get out and open the tailgate before going back to shut the gate, for instance. Then the car remains unlocked for when you go back to get the shopping out of the boot! Another side-effect of this feature is that we recently hired a MG SUV in Victoria, and we kept forgetting to lock it – yes, we are being dumbed down. But I still like the feature.

On this recent road trip, mostly sitting on 100-105 km/hr, but with some urban driving included, it averaged 8.9 L/100km on 91 RON petrol, not too bad I suppose. This is actual consumption, not what the trip computer tells me, I recorded that also, and the trip computer is optimistic to say the least – average error 8.1% from actual – not to be trusted for distance remaining.

Probably, the worst feature of the Koleos for me is the blind spots caused by the outside rear view mirrors, as discussed in another thread somewhere. Compared to other similar cars (Forester, Rav4 for instance), there is no gap between the ‘A’ pillar and the mirror housing, so there is quite a wide area where vision is blocked. I am sitting higher than normal, and consciously looking for anything in the blind spot, but it still catches me out sometimes, especially a small car coming towards me on a small roundabout, the relative motion of both vehicles can block that car quite easily. I don’t think it is very good at all, but it’s not enough to get rid of the car, I will just remain more vigilant, I guess.

Overall, it’s been a pretty good car for us, nothing special, but that’s what I like in a car, I don’t want silly things to go wrong. It’s doing the job we want, it’s roomy and comfortable on short and long journeys. I like the car, but don’t have any strong feelings for it, like I have with some previous cars. It will do us for another while yet.
Thanks for taking the trouble. Perfectly adequate vehicles! I've driven one interstate too and would say exactly the same, including the cruise control.

They are just a bit too big externally for my requirements, so we'll stick with the Scenics for now.

Very good review and I agree entirely on timing chain rattle, cvt/cruise control, blind spots and the locking function and virtually everything you said.

I'm coming up to 5yrs from new in April on mine (similar specs) but have only done 33800 kms. I’m just about to change the front rotors and pads - will use the same Bendix pads as yours, and brembo rotors I think. I’m still on the original nexen tyres.

cheers
KB

Hi all. Apologies as typing on phone.

We have a Pearl White 2015 Bose H45. It’s my partners car. We purchased from Renault Adelaide IIRC May 2017. Was ex lease to local NDIA company with 900 km ( yes 900 km not 9000 km ) on the odometer. Saved about $12k on an as new price. Car now sits at 60,000. Last Diagolys query pulled up no current faults. Zilch.

Really it’s been a great car. Does exactly what it should do for what its spec is. Only mech issue was a small oil leak. I noticed this and realised that as once advised the me that if a car sits for too long the rear main crank bearing seal can leak. Sure enough I reported it as such and was confirmed and replaced under warranty at 1500 km usage.

We’ve done several long interstate trips and found it a relaxing and comfy interior to pass the time. Fuel usage on these trips has been decent for its mass at about 8 ltr / 100.

My main beefs are:

R-link drops Bluetooth connectivity to my lady’s phone meaning I am doing factory resets from time to time. Better now her iphone is a later ver. Up dating R-link is not a pleasant or easy experience. Later models overcome this with optional OS.

The dreaded timing chain rattle on cold start. Chasing up with my Renault Tech mate resulted in a “they all do it” conclusion. Still being an engine noise guy that I am .. I hear it loudly every time. Only on cold start. Now I see it as a good sound cause I know there’s oil in the engine 🤭 still it’s an odd ‘feature’.

No cruise issues with this car as reported for the later models.

Positives:

For me this is difficult as I am a dye in the wool RS Clio 2 driver of 18 years veteran. Chalk n Cheese cars. However ..

* Comfort, general dynamics and reliability. These cars seem to be really quite solid. Low maint, low cost and longevity. Reminds me of my R16TS which was my first car. Running Michelin Premacy tyres currently and very happy with them.

* the Bose audio system is top of its game. No messing about here. This is a properly tuned and thought out system. I work with pro audio and I fully support this. I’d buy another car just for the sound. Quality.

* Lately I have been driving through the Adelaide Hills using the ‘manual mode’ on the CSV. Makes me chuckle but until you try don’t knock it. You can actually push the car harder than you expect and a lot harder that a motor mag writer would admit. It’s no RS but it isn’t a slob that some would make you believe. Prob the tyres ;)

* A local fellow I know uses his to tow his Clio Cup race car to The Bend. He seems pretty happy with it.

Under rated cars I think but as mentioned above they are becoming more common place on the roads which is pleasing. A bit vanilla but the roads are full of vanilla and this one has a proven engine / chassis, high end audio and handles pretty well with decent rubber. I rate them.

Hi all. Apologies as typing on phone.

We have a Pearl White 2015 Bose H45. It’s my partners car. We purchased from Renault Adelaide IIRC May 2017. Was ex lease to local NDIA company with 900 km ( yes 900 km not 9000 km ) on the odometer. Saved about $12k on an as new price. Car now sits at 60,000. Last Diagolys query pulled up no current faults. Zilch.

Really it’s been a great car. Does exactly what it should do for what its spec is. Only mech issue was a small oil leak. I noticed this and realised that as once advised the me that if a car sits for too long the rear main crank bearing seal can leak. Sure enough I reported it as such and was confirmed and replaced under warranty at 1500 km usage.

We’ve done several long interstate trips and found it a relaxing and comfy interior to pass the time. Fuel usage on these trips has been decent for its mass at about 8 ltr / 100.

My main beefs are:

R-link drops Bluetooth connectivity to my lady’s phone meaning I am doing factory resets from time to time. Better now her iphone is a later ver. Up dating R-link is not a pleasant or easy experience. Later models overcome this with optional OS.

The dreaded timing chain rattle on cold start. Chasing up with my Renault Tech mate resulted in a “they all do it” conclusion. Still being an engine noise guy that I am .. I hear it loudly every time. Only on cold start. Now I see it as a good sound cause I know there’s oil in the engine 🤭 still it’s an odd ‘feature’.

No cruise issues with this car as reported for the later models.

Positives:

For me this is difficult as I am a dye in the wool RS Clio 2 driver of 18 years veteran. Chalk n Cheese cars. However ..

* Comfort, general dynamics and reliability. These cars seem to be really quite solid. Low maint, low cost and longevity. Reminds me of my R16TS which was my first car. Running Michelin Premacy tyres currently and very happy with them.

* the Bose audio system is top of its game. No messing about here. This is a properly tuned and thought out system. I work with pro audio and I fully support this. I’d buy another car just for the sound. Quality.

* Lately I have been driving through the Adelaide Hills using the ‘manual mode’ on the CSV. Makes me chuckle but until you try don’t knock it. You can actually push the car harder than you expect and a lot harder that a motor mag writer would admit. It’s no RS but it isn’t a slob that some would make you believe. Prob the tyres ;)

* A local fellow I know uses his to tow his Clio Cup race car to The Bend. He seems pretty happy with it.

Under rated cars I think but as mentioned above they are becoming more common place on the roads which is pleasing. A bit vanilla but the roads are full of vanilla and this one has a proven engine / chassis, high end audio and handles pretty well with decent rubber. I rate them.
Yes, Vanilla sells. People want fridges, quite reasonably it seems to me. Not all folk are enthusiasts like some of us! THe Koleos is clearly a sound and usable vehicle. For me, it is just a bit too big externally.

Park it next to 12 wagon and you might change your perception. It is taller and wider but not by much. As for length, not sure which one comes on top.
Compared to similar modern suvs, I would call it petite.

Park it next to 12 wagon and you might change your perception. It is taller and wider but not by much. As for length, not sure which one comes on top.
Compared to similar modern suvs, I would call it petite.
I take that point. :) Perhaps I should put the tape measure on the Scenic!

I take that point. :) Perhaps I should put the tape measure on the Scenic!
All the dimensions for both for a side by side comparison are no doubt available at the click of a mouse.

It’s OK I’m a Boomer too, but even I would google that.

KB

All the dimensions for both for a side by side comparison are no doubt available at the click of a mouse.

It’s OK I’m a Boomer too, but even I would google that.

KB
Well, that took all of 3 minutes. The only significant dimension difference is that the Koleos is 400 mm longer (and substandard internally regarding rear seat options and boot layout relative to the Scenic).

To get something newer than 17 years old, the Karoq wins the convenience of use prize.

Thanks for the obvious Google suggestion.

No doubt i am showing my ignorance here, but what the hell is a Karoq?

No doubt i am showing my ignorance here, but what the hell is a Karoq?
Ah, it is a current model Skoda. It's the only car on the market at any price that has the Scenic's rear seat removal option to give you a van and great capacity to carry awkward things inside. It's two downsides are (a) smaller windows in the vertical sense, so it is less 'scenic' from the inside, and a 1.4 turbo engine, 4 cylinders. At 1900 kg, it has more towing capacity rated than the Scenic (Renault says 1400 kg and then fits a 1000 kg towbar in Oz!!) and of course it is much newer. The youngest Scenic around would be about 17 years now.

I'm not so sure about a 1.4 litre turbo. The 2-litre Megane engines are bullet-proof.

You can see my dilemma. My Scenic lives down the drive backwards and round a post under the house. I don't want longer or higher.

Yeah, after getting the roller door fitted we found the Koleos couldn't pass under. By a bee's dick, but nope. Meh. Parked it outside. It will survive (minus radio display, which overheats in the sun).

Yeah, after getting the roller door fitted we found the Koleos couldn't pass under. By a bee's dick, but nope. Meh. Parked it outside. It will survive (minus radio display, which overheats in the sun).
Oh, bugger!! Drop the tyre pressures...

I don't care enough. We're slowly destroying it anyway so not worth it. I think it has already paid for itself so we're in profit territory.

But yeah, we paid 6k for it (@60k km) which was probably the bargain of the century, don't think it will happen again. I will hate it when I'll have to go car hunting again.

I don't care enough. We're slowly destroying it anyway so not worth it. I think it has already paid for itself so we're in profit territory.

But yeah, we paid 6k for it (@60k km) which was probably the bargain of the century, don't think it will happen again. I will hate it when I'll have to go car hunting again.
You won't be that lucky twice!! I'll keep the Scenics until they become unreliable. Secondhand panels are practically unobtainable, so a bit of a prang would be a write off.

You never know. My wife's 405Mi16 cost 6800 and it was pristine @ 60k km. Cost new 54k and it came with 70k worth of service receipts. A manilla folder for each year since new. It was practically a new car. It was obvious nobody had ever sat in any passenger seat. Sold it back to the lady we got it from 4 years later and still regret it. What a car.