Changing Transmission oil 407 al4

Zeus

Tadpole
Tadpole
Can anyone advise me as to where I can buy the Transmission drain plug for my car, the one with the tube extension.
Cheers

Show me what you've lost, I have the plastic tube type spare with the matching drain plug. If just the plug is wrecked I'll go hunting to find it.

Show me what you've lost, I have the plastic tube type spare with the matching drain plug. If just the plug is wrecked I'll go hunting to find it.
All I have is the normal plug (in other cars) without the tube, so I would need the matching drain plug and the tube that fits onto it.
Thanks

2 types, which required plastic or metal alloy? See other discussions

IF you are able to find the, plug with attached tube let me know how to arrange payment fpr them.
Cheer

Hi Zeus to clarify the plug types referring to the images.
The original first type has a dual plug with concentric hexagon heads. The inner plug is just a short threaded drain plug. That screws into the center of a larger hollow metal plug that has the tube fixed to it as one piece. Not able to be lost normally.

The second type has a short threaded drain plug, no tube. The tube is plastic and is screwed further up the same hole using the same thread. The plastic tube has a bottom thread and then the top is the tube, all one piece. The inside of the plastic tube is hollow and formed as a hexagon shape so you can use the long end of an allen key up inside the hole to screw it out. 8mm key I think it is. The plastic tube should live up the hole and cannot fall out because the drain plug is there. It is only removed to do a complete oil drain and then replaced to set the oil level when refilling.

If the plastic tube is lost it must have been done when the transmission was not operational as it should have been used to check the final oil level and then the drain plug was put in. The tube only needs to be lightly tightened so should not be hard to get out but it does need the long end of a normal allen key to reach up into it.

I guess the same applies to the metal tube, if it is lost as the car cannot operate without it. NOTE both types need to have the oil level checked with the engine running and warmed up. Should I say that again !!!
Jaahn
1701324128809.png
1701324086654.png

Last edited:
Good point. AL4 has a round-ish oil cooler down low at the front. The 4HP20 has a rectangular cooler with pointy ends on top of the gearbox - about the size of a pencil box if that can still be used as a point of reference. (It's rather like increasingly rare matchboxes and cigarette packets as size references.) :)

Good point. AL4 has a round-ish oil cooler down low at the front. The 4HP20 has a rectangular cooler with pointy ends on top of the gearbox - about the size of a pencil box if that can still be used as a point of reference. (It's rather like increasingly rare matchboxes and cigarette packets as size references.) :)
The last time I changed the oil, the plug was just a plug, removed with an allen key, did not know that the leveling tube is supposed to be in there but I am sure it is missing. I will check oil cooler tomorrow. Engine is 2.0 HDi.
Thanks for your help guys.

Best to put up your VIN, so we can tell you for certain what you've got, and how the transmission fluid should be changed. My XM has a 4HP20 - the level plug is on the side (no special level tube as for AL4), and quite separate fr4om the drain plug.

Depending on how fussy you are, you can live without it - having had these things actually apart and rebuilding them, ive come to realise theyre not really that fussy about the level.

I have been just putting a measured 3.5 litres in after a drain and calling it done!

AL4 cooler is on the back and is square, above the left inner CV joint.

1702260086136.png

I have one of these types on a Clio case that was destined for the metal recyclers. You're for the price of postage if you want it.

Should work on the later type casing - serves the same function.

I stand corrected re the AL4 cooler. It's this ... not on the top and the o-rings are at least round. The cooler is also often 'round' per the picture on the right. There is variation.

1702261556054.png
1702261872208.png

The cooler is on top of the gearbox and has a pointed end facing the front, so it seem that the Gearbox is 4HP20 and as Haakon suggests I will refill with 3.5 litres.
Much appreciate all of your help, thank you!!

You'll have to fill it through the breather - it's a small hole and it's very slow to fill that way...

Here's a document on refilling the 4HP20 that I think came from David S:

Attachments

• ZF_4HP20_Refill.pdf
    109.5 KB · Views: 48
The cooler is on top of the gearbox and has a pointed end facing the front, so it seem that the Gearbox is 4HP20 and as Haakon suggests I will refill with 3.5 litres.
Much appreciate all of your help, thank you!!
My 3.5 litres advice was for the AL4! I have no idea what the required amount for the ZF gearbox is...