Tool Talk

any british car lovers here ?

thats one hell of a lot of tooling for not a lot of money :)

any british car lovers here ?

thats one hell of a lot of tooling for not a lot of money :)
Makes you want to go out and buy a Hillman.🤔🤔

Here's a cheapie.😉

Hi.

Back to the cordless tools.

Has anybody used a reciprocating saw for pruning that has the inverted "V" serrated jaws to hold branches similar to the LH images? If so, do you consider these jaws better than the usual flat plate arrangement as per the RH images? Or is there not much difference in practice?

Also do you think that these are easier to use one handed, as your other hand can hang onto the ladder or the branch?

Any other comments and recommendations for reciprocating saw predominantly for pruning.

Cheers.

1673570253111.png
1673570314390.png

1673570693102.png
1673570969574.png

Hi. I was only using the image to illustrate the jaws, but the Bosch Keo is a dedicated pruning saw, so maybe they consider the jaws are better for that application.

Thanks for the tip though.

Cheers.

I bought a cheapo pole saw from Bunnings (Ozito) to prune the neighbours trees off my 2 story house. It has an 8" chainsaw blade on the end of it. It's unreal, It cuts through 6" limbs with ease.
The motor and blade are both on the distal end on these, but I didn't find it too unwieldy to use. It's an 8' pole so could save you even needing a ladder?

Hi.

The vast majority of my pruning is at ground level, I'm over 6' so can reach a fair bit, so the pole chainsaw may not be used that much. Hence my interest in the recipricating blade saw.

Thanks.

Hi.

Back to the cordless tools.

Has anybody used a reciprocating saw for pruning that has the inverted "V" serrated jaws to hold branches similar to the LH images? If so, do you consider these jaws better than the usual flat plate arrangement as per the RH images? Or is there not much difference in practice?

Also do you think that these are easier to use one handed, as your other hand can hang onto the ladder or the branch?

Any other comments and recommendations for reciprocating saw predominantly for pruning.

Cheers.

View attachment 215439View attachment 215440
View attachment 215441View attachment 215442

I have a recpricating saw here if you want to try it. the one with the "V" I imagine would be a lot better if the limb fits within the housing. With a recipricating saw all you will do is move the branch around and drive youself crazy. I'd suggest a much more dangerous "chain" type saw. I'm sure I've seen "pruners" that are a tiny chainsaw. (that can probably also be mounted on a pole). Being a chainsaw they would be quite dangerous.

Your welcome to try the PCX recipricating saw I have here.

the red ozito pruner works well, SWMBO loves it... :)
Bob

I picked up this little pruning saw for $30 on facebook marketplace a few days ago. It looks like they tried to pull the primer bulb out (as it was split) and pulled the fuel lines off with it.... And then got scared as they had to get into the carby to try and fix it. Its $13 for a kit on ebay with new fuel lines, primer and carby diaphragms. A little toy saw like this should be perfect for a little pruning. A bonus it has a near new stihl chain on it.
20230113_161055.jpg

the red ozito pruner works well, SWMBO loves it... :)
Bob

Is that the recipricating saw or the scissor type pruners ? I'd suggest not buying the damn pxc ozito stuff. its like drugs, everytime your at bunnings you end up buying something else. Today I bought a leaf blower of all things. Its exactly what I needed to clean up the house guttering. Small, lightweight and battery powered. It is plenty powerful enough to clean out all the dry leaves, dirt and sticks. Obviously it would be useless if the gutters were wet/damp.

I jhave ust started to use a Metabo cordless reciprocating saw with a long pruning blade. It's had a workout this afternoon. Easier to use rhan rhe Stihl arborist chain saw, but you have to be careful how you use it one handed. Arguably, if you have to hang onto something with your other hand you are already risking your safety.

Roger

I jhave ust started to use a Metabo cordless reciprocating saw with a long pruning blade. It's had a workout this afternoon. Easier to use rhan rhe Stihl arborist chain saw, but you have to be careful how you use it one handed. Arguably, if you have to hang onto something with your other hand you are already risking your safety.

Roger
it worked ok for you then? I found reciprocating saws tended to push the branch back and forth as opposed to cutting it :blackeye: where as a pole type chainsaw had branches cut quicker than you could blink :)

For single handed use the Stihl GTA 26 is excellent.
The battery gives quite a bit of cutting time. If you buy a spare battery you will be able to do enough cutting to justify going inside for a beer.
The only downside is the chain and bar lubrication which has to be done manually.
The fine cut chain gets through 75mm branches cleanly.
One hand is all you need. It has good balance and is light to move around.
Safe too, if you keep your spare hand well clear

Attachments

• Stihl GTA 26.JPG
    Stihl GTA 26.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 64
For single handed use the Stihl GTA 26 is excellent.
The battery gives quite a bit of cutting time. If you buy a spare battery you will be able to do enough cutting to justify going inside for a beer.
The only downside is the chain and bar lubrication which has to be done manually.
The fine cut chain gets through 75mm branches cleanly.
One hand is all you need. It has good balance and is light to move around.
Safe too, if you keep your spare hand well clear
that's the one I was thinking! I think I've seen a cheap version of this somewhere. Its going to be a lot of upkeep like a chainsaw though ( ie: you'll need to sharpen its chain, tension it, oil it ....... :) ).

Is that the recipricating saw or the scissor type pruners ? I'd suggest not buying the damn pxc ozito stuff. its like drugs, everytime your at bunnings you end up buying something else. Today I bought a leaf blower of all things. Its exactly what I needed to clean up the house guttering. Small, lightweight and battery powered. It is plenty powerful enough to clean out all the dry leaves, dirt and sticks. Obviously it would be useless if the gutters were wet/damp.
It's the one in the picture, recipro-saw with serrated jaws to hang onto the sick. Easy use one handed cos of the jaws - the other other hand catches the cut off stick.
I had a chain pole saw, plug in, worked OK but it got too heavy for me !! aaaah, Aldi unit I think, we sold it.... :)
Bob

I have a recpricating saw here if you want to try it. the one with the "V" I imagine would be a lot better if the limb fits within the housing. With a recipricating saw all you will do is move the branch around and drive youself crazy. I'd suggest a much more dangerous "chain" type saw. I'm sure I've seen "pruners" that are a tiny chainsaw. (that can probably also be mounted on a pole). Being a chainsaw they would be quite dangerous.

Your welcome to try the PCX recipricating saw I have here.
Not cheap, but the Stihl pole/chainsaw works really well. It uses the same blade as their battery chain saw, built for gardeners not foresters. I reckon I've saved its cost several times over. Haven't killed myself either, which I reckon is good......

Stihl make an excellent battery driven small chainsaw. Light enough to be usable up a ladder with minimal risk of your kidneys ending up walking round town in somebody else and powerful enough to deal with most pruning size branches.

We have standardised on Stihl ( petrol and electric ). Not cheap but it always works

What advantage is there in a reciprocating saw? WOuld be interested, as I have never used one for pruning ( we have to do a lot ) and I may be missing something (wouldn‘t be the first time )

The other thing I have done, as I slide off into my dotage, has been to spend a couple of hundred on a harness , rope and shock cord for when I am at organ donor height. The best thing that ever happened to renal failure patients was silly old buggers like me going up ladders. A+E departments are full of them.

ANdrew

Bit selfish Andrew Watkins? What about the poor buggers eating for an organ 😉😉

I use a pruning saw/cutter combination on an extendable pole which is a quite long. It works really well and slowed down my age related sarcopenia.
Some people actually pay to exercise…😉