1979, 504 Ti - Running rich

My 504 paint looks tired planning to respray thanks for the sharing the paint code ,Just noticed are the side mirror looks awesome are they aftermarket mirror?

A delayed update on the Ti. I measured the CO, and if the reading is correct we can fairly say that its not running rich.

The next step will be to change the plugs to Champion N6Y, which the Haynes manual and Peugeot dealership recommends, get some more hours on the road, and then measure again.

The CO reading was very low, around 1%. To pass the smog test it has to be below 3,5%, so i will try to adjust to somewhere between 2-3%. Any thoughts?

The ppm hc vas very high at 175, does anyone know where it should be at, and what would you look into to lower it, given the facts already mentioned in this thread?

-thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5715.JPEG
    IMG_5715.JPEG
    676.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5716.JPEG
    IMG_5716.JPEG
    810.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5721.JPEG
    IMG_5721.JPEG
    692.9 KB · Views: 122
Could it be that its running too lean, and thats why the HC is high? Or maybe, because of the soot on the plugs?

Anyway, to get it richer is no problem, so whats keep giving me a headache is the soot, so hopefully more hours and new plugs will sort that out, and i can adjust both CO and HC to proper levels.

Could it be that its running too lean, and thats why the HC is high? Or maybe, because of the soot on the plugs?

Anyway, to get it richer is no problem, so whats keep giving me a headache is the soot, so hopefully more hours and new plugs will sort that out, and i can adjust both CO and HC to proper levels.
Have a look at "Mechanic wanted for repair of Peugeot 504 LTI Klugelfischer fuel injection system" a few threads down, #18 Re flushing/cleaning the thermostatic element. Though you may have fitted a new one. :)

A delayed update on the Ti. I measured the CO, and if the reading is correct we can fairly say that its not running rich.

The next step will be to change the plugs to Champion N6Y, which the Haynes manual and Peugeot dealership recommends, get some more hours on the road, and then measure again.

The CO reading was very low, around 1%. To pass the smog test it has to be below 3,5%, so i will try to adjust to somewhere between 2-3%. Any thoughts?

The ppm hc vas very high at 175, does anyone know where it should be at, and what would you look into to lower it, given the facts already mentioned in this thread?

-thanks
Does anybody know what a good reading of CO and hc ppm should be?

Update!

I have been putting some miles on the car lately, and adjusted the CO to about 2,5%, but still it looks like its running way too rich. The plugs (N6Y) are still sooted, and i have a flat spot as soon as I hit the accelerator. Almost as it gets either flooded or dont get petrol at all with minimum acceleration.

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• video-1652383722.mp4
    4 MB
  • video-1652383886.mp4
    2.1 MB
I think your butterfly may be closed off to much. Try about a quarter of a turn in and also then out from your presently set position and see what happens. This butterfly is tricky to set and (as far as I am concerned) the most important setting to correct running. It must be finally set by trial and error on the road, minute adjustments at a time. The ideal is to set it so that when you back off and roll along slowly in 4th gear under no load down to very low speed, that there is no "snatching" in the transmission drive system.

Idle speed about 900 RPM.

Static timing set to 4 degrees BTDC. Plugs 0.22" points 0.16" (M53 dissy?)

I have no idea on your sooty plugs. My Ti always returned 28 MPG on a trip and 21 MPG around town. Driven not nursed. Not thrashing it but all gear changes at around 5000 RPM if that helps. Plugs were always just under light black, never light brown.

Does the car have an even note at the exhaust pipe after extended idling? If it has an uneven intermittent small popping it is too lean. If it back fires/pops in the exhaust when you first accelerate after over run it is too rich.

Something here may be of help.

Your car looks good.

Good Luck :)

Reactions: con
Might be a silly question, but you have been running fresh petrol right from the start of the thread? I'm guessing your fuel is no better than ours in that it starts to degrade after 6 weeks in a car's tank?
Not sure of Norway's petrol grade availability but some of the older cars don't tolerate ethanol blends very well.

I think your butterfly may be closed off to much. Try about a quarter of a turn in and also then out from your presently set position and see what happens. This butterfly is tricky to set and (as far as I am concerned) the most important setting to correct running. It must be finally set by trial and error on the road, minute adjustments at a time. The ideal is to set it so that when you back off and roll along slowly in 4th gear under no load down to very low speed, that there is no "snatching" in the transmission drive system.

I have no idea on your sooty plugs. My Ti always returned 28 MPG on a trip and 21 MPG around town. Driven not nursed. Not thrashing it but all gear changes at around 5000 RPM if that helps. Plugs were always just under light black, never light brown.

Does the car have an even note at the exhaust pipe after extended idling? If it has an uneven intermittent small popping it is too lean. If it back fires/pops in the exhaust when you first accelerate after over run it is too rich.

Your car looks good.

Thanks.

I`ve adjusted the butterfly according to the Haynes manual, with the light-gap, but i will try what you suggested also, thanks.

Static timing, i think its 8deg BTDC, adjusted to the mark on the wheel with a timing light. Plugs have the right gap, and electronic ignition from 123ignition.

Might be a silly question, but you have been running fresh petrol right from the start of the thread? I'm guessing your fuel is no better than ours in that it starts to degrade after 6 weeks in a car's tank?
Not sure of Norway's petrol grade availability but some of the older cars don't tolerate ethanol blends very well.
Relevant question, but the petrol is fresh, i emptied the tank about 2 weeks ago. New filter and fresh unleaded 98 octane.

Your car looks good.

Your MPG figures seem low. TI/s i have owned would get 38 and 31

Your car looks good.

Your MPG figures seem low. TI/s i have owned would get 38 on a trip

Your car looks good.

I made some adjustments to the butterfly, and much better now! Thanks again.

Not sure about my MPG figures yet, but i assume very low. Black smoke from the exhaust and stinks petrol even after the CO / mixture adjuster is all the way out. Maybe to great of an opening at the butterfly now, causing it to give more fuel?

As i have previously mentioned, i have tried several pump-heads, and next i will go back to the head with new membranes, and lets see what happens.

Attachments

• video-1652465551.mp4
    3.7 MB