Ateco

Lol. And yet you complain they won’t import Dacia :)

Anyhoo, the ATA doesn’t agree with you. I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest they know more about it than both of us combined ;)

https://www.truck.net.au/media/medi...ocking-electric-hydrogen-and-cleaner-vehicles

Without wishing to extend the rambling, circuitous nature of A/F threads can I again point out that all trucks currently imported from wherever in the world to Australia already fit our our standards and that they are the exact same trucks sold overseas, so the ATA (who have several axes constantly grinding) is not worried about electric trucks, they have an alternate agenda which is to increase the dimensions of the load carrying part of the system, that is, the flatbed, the pan and the trailer to 2.6m in width so they can use U.S. pallets.

excuse me while I attempt to get this thread back on track (and that's not a train track by the way)

The building between Waverly Renault and BMW is being redeveloped and has Volvo all over it so I guess that's the direction it's going.
I don't know where Ateco warehouse is.
The guy at Waverly complained he couldn't even get a battery yesterday and Supercharge supply them to Renault. Ateco haven't made that connection yet,
In the 1970's Renault Australia maintained an excellent spare parts stock and were proud the Peugeot 504 had a 95% first pick parts availability. There were complete engines and gearboxes and all manner of body panels as well as the thousands of seals and nuts and bolts that make up a spares inventory. Failure to maintain a good parts stock was poison to any brand. It cost, owners complained and the NRMA wrote up Renault for rip off pricing but they really weren't that bad, certainly not German level and the owners benefited from a good parts supply. That was abandoned by later importers. It became accepted in the automotive and machinery industries that good communications and air freight meant it was no longer necessary to keep large national warehouses full of parts. Anything could be flown in from a central location in a few days. It worked as expected and cars under warranty sometimes sat for six weeks waiting for parts. Now that air freight has been disrupted the old system looks rather good. As a footnote, in the 1980's when import duties were high it was possible to import parts duty free by transporting them in the cars being shipped. Customs never queried them and it was widely practiced by certain importers.
The Ateco parts warehouse for its brands might not be very large.

In the 1970's Renault Australia maintained an excellent spare parts stock and were proud the Peugeot 504 had a 95% first pick parts availability. There were complete engines and gearboxes and all manner of body panels as well as the thousands of seals and nuts and bolts that make up a spares inventory. Failure to maintain a good parts stock was poison to any brand. It cost, owners complained and the NRMA wrote up Renault for rip off pricing but they really weren't that bad, certainly not German level and the owners benefited from a good parts supply. That was abandoned by later importers. It became accepted in the automotive and machinery industries that good communications and air freight meant it was no longer necessary to keep large national warehouses full of parts. Anything could be flown in from a central location in a few days. It worked as expected and cars under warranty sometimes sat for six weeks waiting for parts. Now that air freight has been disrupted the old system looks rather good. As a footnote, in the 1980's when import duties were high it was possible to import parts duty free by transporting them in the cars being shipped. Customs never queried them and it was widely practiced by certain importers.
The Ateco parts warehouse for its brands might not be very large.
Yes I remember the 70's. Because they were made here I guess.
You could still buy piston/sleeve kits for 4cv's and they were already an old car.

Without wishing to extend the rambling, circuitous nature of A/F threads can I again point out that all trucks currently imported from wherever in the world to Australia already fit our our standards and that they are the exact same trucks sold overseas, so the ATA (who have several axes constantly grinding) is not worried about electric trucks, they have an alternate agenda which is to increase the dimensions of the load carrying part of the system, that is, the flatbed, the pan and the trailer to 2.6m in width so they can use U.S. pallets.
My experience of the ATA is that they are genuinely interested in reducing emissions from the truck fleet, not just for social licence reasons but because they recognise there are future requirements with emissions regulations etc on the horizon - better to plan ahead and manage the costs.

Having said that, i still don't get why our roads would have a problem with the width when European roads don't seem to.

My experience of the ATA is that they are genuinely interested in reducing emissions from the truck fleet, not just for social licence reasons but because they recognise there are future requirements with emissions regulations etc on the horizon - better to plan ahead and manage the costs.

Having said that, i still don't get why our roads would have a problem with the width when European roads don't seem to.
Road surfaces are worse in Australia, trucks have larger loads, longer trailers. Look at the crash north of Dim last night.

Don't know if this is 'on topic' but an observation that I find interesting, although others may not.
I have though noticed a considerable amount of advertising for the Renault Trafic on local radio.
Is this Renault or Ateco doing the advertising?
And does the Trafic re-badged Mitsubishi Express get the 10 year warranty?
There appears to be considerable concern with Renault's withdrawal from Australia but a hope that Ateco's involvement will give it some credence and a boost.
But will Ateco be broadening the range of Renault vehicles available?

The problem I foresee with Ateco is the same that usually happens with French brands. They will be sitting in meetings and they will progress as follows "Nobody wants to buy them so we wont invest too much in the brand... Oh look at that we were right no one is buying the brand... Let's stop spending any money on this brand it isn't making any money... We don't want anything to do with your brand anymore Renault"

LNC did it, Volvo did it (for more nefarious reasons I would argue) and Nissan was a niggling partner when Renault returned. Renault is a good brand that needs a consistent solid push that doesn't have ridiculous targets. Purchasing a car is a sheep exercise. "I've seen those on the road that is a viable option." Hyundai and Kia did it just slowly slogging away through the 90s and 00s to then in the 10s they broke through and now they are all that you see on the roads.

It has to be a long game and I do not see Ateco taking on a long game plan.

The problem I foresee with Ateco is the same that usually happens with French brands. They will be sitting in meetings and they will progress as follows "Nobody wants to buy them so we wont invest too much in the brand... Oh look at that we were right no one is buying the brand... Let's stop spending any money on this brand it isn't making any money... We don't want anything to do with your brand anymore Renault"

LNC did it, Volvo did it (for more nefarious reasons I would argue) and Nissan was a niggling partner when Renault returned. Renault is a good brand that needs a consistent solid push that doesn't have ridiculous targets. Purchasing a car is a sheep exercise. "I've seen those on the road that is a viable option." Hyundai and Kia did it just slowly slogging away through the 90s and 00s to then in the 10s they broke through and now they are all that you see on the roads.

I'll post here again if they reply to my letter!!!!

Don't know if this is 'on topic' but an observation that I find interesting, although others may not.
I have though noticed a considerable amount of advertising for the Renault Trafic on local radio.
Is this Renault or Ateco doing the advertising?
And does the Trafic re-badged Mitsubishi Express get the 10 year warranty?
There appears to be considerable concern with Renault's withdrawal from Australia but a hope that Ateco's involvement will give it some credence and a boost.
But will Ateco be broadening the range of Renault vehicles available?
Yes the Mitsu has a 10 yr warranty and Renault only 5 for the same vehicle. Yet Renault don't see a problem.
Buy the Mitsu and put Renault badges on it.

Remember the first Hyundais and Kias? You wouldn't buy one unless they were free. The original Excel was the laughing stock of the Aussie car market but they pressed on and improved and look at Hyundai now.
The French seem to have the opposite attitude. We know our cars are good and if you don't buy them well Pfft to you.

Remember the first Hyundais and Kias? You wouldn't buy one unless they were free. The original Excel was the laughing stock of the Aussie car market but they pressed on and improved and look at Hyundai now.
The French seem to have the opposite attitude. We know our cars are good and if you don't buy them well Pfft to you.
To be fair, those first Excels were solid cars. Boring as batshit, a rwbodied Mits Colt.

But well put together. My gran bought one new in 1988 for $8K and it went forever and never missed a beat.

My sister in law had a very early Kia. At 40,000 the door hinges were all worn and the doors hard to close. The gear box was total guess work. The motor blew smoke. Terrible to drive as well. Look at them now. Pity Renault didn't learn from that, you just have to persevere. There will be ups and downs in the market. Eventually they will gain market share. They did it back in the 1970's so why not now?

Au contraire. I know of an Excel that went to the wrecker after twenty something years in near new condition because nobody wanted its transmission - no young driver wanted a manual. It was even offered to a female student for nothing!

It never missed a beat in that time. The Korean built Mitsubishi mechanicals were very reliable and no plastic ever broke or electric failed or seating holed. Only routine servicing, brake pads and better tyres ever went its way. The negative was was cabin noise.

That French approach worked so well for Land-Rover too, until fashion overtook practicability and they sold again.

I agree it is all about a long-term slog without chopping and changing importers, dealers, models etc and giving good aftersales service. At present 0/10 except aftersales service, which I don't know about nationally. Our local dealer gets 0/10 because they have gone into hiding.

Unlike Stellantis which has a low Asia Pacific presence, Renault has substantial presence in Asia through the Nissan Alliance. Le Monde sees the Stellantis decision to produce the new big Citroen in China and export it to France as marking the eventual death of car making in France. Australian buyers of Renaults don't seem to mind many of their cars being manufactured in Asia but will the French? The risk is that brands become less relevant when designs are shared and produced in other factories. Whatever happens it is more likely in the future that Australia will be supplied with French branded cars from Asian factories rather than France. That applies to PSA as well as Renault.
As to ATECO, their perception is a little different. They are successful making money out of low volume brands. Increasing sales might not be attractive if extra costs diminishes unit profits

Increasing sales might not be attractive
On the other hand they once sold more Citroens p.a. than Inchcape has managed, and had a greater range of models and variants.

To be fair, those first Excels were solid cars. Boring as batshit, a rwbodied Mits Colt.

But well put together. My gran bought one new in 1988 for $8K and it went forever and never missed a beat.
My wife's work mate had one and the door rusted through in 18 months. I still see the odd one on the road, so perhaps the quality was variable?. They seem like desirable cars now and the company appears to stand behind their warranties, unlike some

My wife's work mate had one and the door rusted through in 18 months. I still see the odd one on the road, so perhaps the quality was variable?. They seem like desirable cars now and the company appears to stand behind their warranties, unlike some
They were a British Leyland project. Don't remember if it was a corporate effort or individual executives set the car making up.