What is the largest Peugeot engine?

I really don't know but I must say I like a good seven litre six with 6 cm of metal between the cylinders and a block so long you can't reach from front to back. Makers of utes like Ford, Mazda, VW, Isuzu share platforms and play musical chairs so a Ranger was once a BT 50 and now will be an Amarok and the BT50 will be an Isuzu. VW make a 1.8 litre diesel for the Amarok but that was deemed unacceptable for Australia so Ford will use an earlier 3 litre. Toyota make a 2.4 litre for the base level HiLux and many buyers opt for the 2.8 litre. The 3.2 litre five cylinder was a selling point of the BT 50/ Ranger. It is still believed that larger engines cope better with sustained hard work. Don't know if it's true but when you're pulling an overload up an endless grade it's no place to find out. I guess buyers of commercials are not the demographic to take to the concept of small high efficiency engines.

Would a Caterpillar D11 engine suit?

You are mentioning commercials, and big engines are sometimes designed to lug loads so some people think that capacity of itself must be a plus, even when most tradesmen's vehicles are really commute-to-the-job vehicles with a toolbox in the back. The engines in them aren't from lorries in any case.

For cars, it's just a hangover from Holden-Ford baseless assumption days.

I'll remember that when I'm towing three tonnes up the Muntham. The Isuzu ute motor is a downgrade from their truck. I've no idea if these high stressed small engines will have the same life as their larger ancestors and it is probably not a concern to those who buy them but I do note the sales figures for such units in Australia does not indicate a wide acceptance. The fact they cannot run on 91 octane fuel renders them impractical for farm use and must undermine their claim to economy.

Now you have got me.

I Streetviewed around Muntham and can't find any real hills, just some gentle inclines. 3T in a ute sounds naughty though. Is it a D-Max?

Why does farm use require 91? (My family when I visit don't)

The Muntham is a long hill rising up from a valley onto a tableland. In the old days before a cutting was put in it was so difficult to climb a special truck was kept in Casterton to assist pulling the weekly transport to the top. I have had a truck boil on it and not a few have died when brakes failed the descent. In recent years a four decker of sheep. There are tales of vehicles taking several climbs to deposit passengers and part loads at the top. There are other major hills all noted for their crashes but the Muntham is the best known.
My bulk deliveries of fuel are limited to standard unleaded and diesel.
Some unbraked items are very hard on the tow vehicle. Crutching trailers, big combines and round balers are difficult. John Deere round balers are nose heavy, react badly to bumps and need a very smooth highway to make 60k's. But you do get a good view of the countryside. Rodeos, HiLuxes, had them all, the new ute is a BT 50, family trucks are Hino and Isuzu.

Aren't the big engine people hangovers from the rusted on Holden (or Ford) men, who could never see any virtue in cars like the 404, 504, 505 etc no matter how often they were told, or even shown?

We were all told again and again that nothing less than six cylinders had any utility in this country.
nothing less than 6 cylinders has any utility, i'm driving my four banger for no reason and enjoying the hell out of it

saw the most confusing sticker on a holden hoon-ute today, it said "only juice & milk come in 2-liters". took me a good three hours to figure out it meant engine size, but it is fair funny

Engine size hardly matters for light passenger vehicles but for commercials and those who tow heavy loads it does. The Ford F250 and now the RAM are preferred by horse owners for heavy towing jobs like goose neck floats. For years Japanese firms like Daihatsu marketed three cylinder cars in Australia.

If you're towing something, or on a farm - buy a diesel. If you need a truck - buy a truck.

What's the life of modern engines like ? Really good. Modern design, construction, metallurgy, lubricants and fuels mean modern engines eat old engines for reliability.

No one needs 7 litre sixes any more - they tell themselves they do, and they base that on olde world experience, but times have moved on

Cheers

Justin

Smart city people always know what is best for everyone else and don't hesitate to tell us. I will pass your opinion onto Deutz and John Deere who do not have your knowledge of engine design and laugh in the face of my Deutz dealer pushing a 7 series with a 6.1 litre six and say old world design.

We'll have to wait for the smart city people to respond then I guess......

but yes, the world does exist away from Deutz dealers and engines from the 1950's. Peugeot is keenly embracing new engine technology.

Cheers

Justin

There is another world of working vehicles away from light vehicles, where the very latest engine design is employed in large engines. Yes, size does matter for high torque outputs. The latest Isuzu medium rigid engine is high tech six cylinder 7.7 litre, and Deutz engine technology is a leader in tractor design. All car firms are embracing modern engine technology. Peugeot has chosen to run with smaller than class average engine sizes in the Australian market . The buyers have not embraced the concept and prefer the better performance offered by larger engined competitors at no cost to economy. I note that Peugeot see reliability as a problem with high tech engines in difficult road conditions which is why lower stressed engines are being fitted to the Landtrek which will be sold in Africa and South America.
Would you care to back up your contention that agricultural and truck engines are from the 1950's by giving design examples of current engines from any non- Chinese manufacturer? Don't tell working people what is good for them when you are ignorant of the technology they use.

Peugeot have a 2.4 litre petrol engine option for their Chinese developed Landtrek ute.
The Landtrek engine is a 4K22D4T. I believe this is a Mitsubishi engine, probably made under license in China, where the Landtrek is also made by Changan Automotive, alongside the Kaicheng (or Kaicene) F70.

A plant in Uruguay will allegedly also produce this vehicle soon — the Nordex plant in Montevideo.

Last edited:
If you're towing something, or on a farm - buy a diesel. If you need a truck - buy a truck.

What's the life of modern engines like ? Really good.

Understatement of the year. Just pulled the head of my Honda Civic wirh nearly 500,000km on it, to change the valve stem seals. ZERO sign of wear in the bore and burns ZERO oil now the valve stem seals have been replaced.

This engine is under 100kg, produces nearly 120hp from it's naturally aspirated 1.6 litres, gets 7 litres per hunded k when driven HARD and pulls 100km/h in 2nd gear. Can't think of any old engines that do all that AND do 500,000km without burning oil.

Try running an earlier engine on modern oils and filtration and the result may surprise. Engine life largely depends on running conditions. Commercial travelers and taxis always ran up substantial mileages. I have pulled down some very high mileage older Peugeot engines that were untouched. Engines are designed for particular applications. Long bore life was noted in some designs forty years ago.