Koleos Auto - any good?

Like I said, it's not the amazing machine it is that has me looking for one, but my sore back.
If your back is the problem buy a top of the range Latitude. Three infinately adjustable lumber supports, massaging seat. 1000 kilometre trip without a sore back. This is the very reason I bought a Latitude, finally I could get a car with the lumber support in the right place for my back. My other cars I have to use a small cushion for lumber support. Eventually the cushion falls down and I struggle to get it back in place.

Renault never did the Japanese trick and covered each and every model with myriads of badges indicating the status or otherwise of the owner. The best way to check a 4x4 version is to look on the console for the 4x4 Auto/Manual lock switch or look underneath for a rear tailshaft. Mine is a 4x4 diesel which has done a good few km through snow and mud locked in 4x4. Hasn't missed a beat in 12 years, so I'm not sure why DC sells rear diffs and tail-shafts in bulk.........
I don't know why they break, possible the usual problem of no oil changes but we've heard quite a few that have cracked in half. Literally the casing has snapped in half. One bloke rang on Tuesday looking for a driveshaft because his inner joint had fallen off. Yes true. Don't ask me how or why we just take the phone calls.
One bloke bought his car in Sydney and was driving home to Adelaide when his diff snapped in half. Couldn't get one anywhere so he was looking into removing the tail shaft and both driveshafts like we use to do on the old RX4's and drive it home on the front wheels. Don't know if that's possible in a Koleos.

The Koleos didn't change too much between 2008 and 2015, particularly mechanically.
The petrols ran the Nissan 2.5 litre engine, with either a 6 speed manual or CVT auto.
The diesel was the 2.0 dCi Renault engine, with either a 6 speed manual or conventional Jatco 6 speed auto. The reason for this is the CVT didn't like the torque of the oiler (they also detuned the auto diesel to reduce the torque for the auto box).

All Koleos drive through the front wheels unless 4WD is needed or locked in. 4WD versions have that badge on the rear.

Changes during the model run are mainly cosmetic or ICE. Some models had an integrated Tom Tom.

We bought a 2012 Privilege diesel 4WD diesel auto a few years ago and it has just clicked over 130K km. Can't fault it, despite the children's best efforts to destroy it. We have taken it on some pretty marginal bush tracks chasing geocaches and it has good approach and departure angles and mainly let down by tyre choice.

This one is a good one (although no sat nav) even if it is an older one (2009) Purple

Dave

Dave, if it is any consolation, I so rarely use my sat nav as it is just too clumsy to get the data into it compared to the Iphone.
Maybe if I was in the country with no phone coverage I'd use it more but here in the city it never gets used.
The old Claxton horn sounds that fire up every time I'm within 200m of a traffic safety device gives the wife the shits, but has probably helped me keep all 12 of my licence points!!

The Koleos didn't change too much between 2008 and 2015, particularly mechanically.
The petrols ran the Nissan 2.5 litre engine, with either a 6 speed manual or CVT auto.
The diesel was the 2.0 dCi Renault engine, with either a 6 speed manual or conventional Jatco 6 speed auto. The reason for this is the CVT didn't like the torque of the oiler (they also detuned the auto diesel to reduce the torque for the auto box).

All Koleos drive through the front wheels unless 4WD is needed or locked in. 4WD versions have that badge on the rear.

Changes during the model run are mainly cosmetic or ICE. Some models had an integrated Tom Tom.

We bought a 2012 Privilege diesel 4WD diesel auto a few years ago and it has just clicked over 130K km. Can't fault it, despite the children's best efforts to destroy it. We have taken it on some pretty marginal bush tracks chasing geocaches and it has good approach and departure angles and mainly let down by tyre choice.

This one is a good one (although no sat nav) even if it is an older one (2009) Purple

Dave

All correct except the bit about the 4X4 badge. I'd reckon it must have been added by the dealer. I can't ever remember seeing one! Here's mine!

Attachments

• Koleos 4x4.PNG
    Koleos 4x4.PNG
    456.6 KB · Views: 162
So Kim's must have had boot damage repaired, with the badge getting binned in the process!

None of the 2008 Kolei were fitted with 4x4 badges to the best of my knowledge. Anyone care to let us see an image of the 4x4 badge and perhaps someone can supply the part number? No boot damage to my car ever but plenty of scrapes and scratches from bush tracks along the sides and underneath.................

Looks like the 4WD badge may have appeared some time in 2009, replacing the Renault badge.
I notice the 2009 one I linked above doesn't have the badge.

Dave

I have a 4WD and it doesn't have the 4WD badge either.

I don't know why they break, possible the usual problem of no oil changes but we've heard quite a few that have cracked in half. Literally the casing has snapped in half. One bloke rang on Tuesday looking for a driveshaft because his inner joint had fallen off. Yes true. Don't ask me how or why we just take the phone calls.
One bloke bought his car in Sydney and was driving home to Adelaide when his diff snapped in half. Couldn't get one anywhere so he was looking into removing the tail shaft and both driveshafts like we use to do on the old RX4's and drive it home on the front wheels. Don't know if that's possible in a Koleos.

This is from the X Trail forum. Three separate posts.

So last night the rear uni joint collapsed on our diesel T31. The one right at the back of the two piece tailshaft in front of the rear diff.
The workshop that I drove it to after tying the tailshaft up off the road just called and said that uni is non serviceable and the unit has to be replaced complete right from the transfer case/gearbox to the rear diff including both pieces of the tailshaft and the centre bearing.
Has anyone got any experience with this and is there any other way around it?
Seems a dumb move from Nissan or a smart move to gouge us for the whole assembly instead of just replacing a uni joint?

I know the uni joints in the T30 tailshaft are fixed pressed-in type and usually require replacement of the entire tailshaft but there are internet how-to's on replacing non-replacable uni joints. You just have to find the correct replacable uni joint for the tailshaft yokes.

Hi Tony, just went through the same thing with my 2011 T31. Took Nissan a long time to find what my noise was and eventually told that I needed the unijoint replace at the rear of the transmission, however the uni was only available as a complete unit with the tailshaft. $1740 fitted. I had my local wrecker track down a secon hand taishaft and took it to my local mechanic. He told me I was lucky that the joint hadn't let go yet. There was so much play in it.
The wrecker told me that If I tow (which I do) that the next thing in line to be replaced will be the transmission as they go hand in hand.
All this and it has done just under 100K

Sounds like fun. But if this happens on some cars and not others (with high mileage) might say something about maintenance rather than manufacturing defect.

What maintenance would one do (or neglect) on a tail shaft??

Jo

Jo

The design of the Koleos/X-trail tailshaft and it's centre bearing would give it sufficient strength to propel the whole vehicle on it's own, and similarly the same with the differential, because at any stage in 4x4 the rear wheels might need to be doing all the driving. Therefore it seems unlikely that either of the three would fail due to bad design. It may be that damage occurring to the tailshaft or centre bearing when crossing kerbs or other large hard obstructions could be mis-aligning the assembly or that a good whack to the rear diff housing could split the housing, either way I'd suggest that replacement of any of those components should be considered most unusual. The have been over 880,000 X-Trail's manufactured (and a lot of Kolei) and in 2017 it was the best selling SUV in the world, with or without a dodgy rear drive system...............

My neighbour has not long changed from an older X trail and rather than buy a new xtrail opted for a new Koleos. That is because the the towing capacity of the new Xtrail has been down graded, where as the Koleos remains at the same level as the old Xtrail.

Jo

No idea. Grease the cross joint? I have owned cars with tail shafts and I did change the joints when they had become crap and you could feel the vibration in the tail shaft at speed. Maybe that? some of these (I see this especially on heavy trucks) have grease nipples. I suspect on small cars these may be sold as "maintenance free" but in my experience there is no such thing. Maybe some people take it seriously.

No idea. Grease the cross joint? I have owned cars with tail shafts and I did change the joints when they had become crap and you could feel the vibration in the tail shaft at speed. Maybe that? some of these (I see this especially on heavy trucks) have grease nipples. I suspect on small cars these may be sold as "maintenance free" but in my experience there is no such thing. Maybe some people take it seriously.

It's hard to grease a universal or centre bearing with no provision to grease it! What is the issue, how many of that mass of X-Trails and Koleos have required rear drive-line replacement? A quick google does not reveal any Koleos problems with 4x4 drive-lines.