Koleos Auto - any good?

I have a 4WD and it doesn't have the 4WD badge either.
It's hard to grease a universal or centre bearing with no provision to grease it! What is the issue, how many of that mass of X-Trails and Koleos have required rear drive-line replacement? A quick google does not reveal any Koleos problems with 4x4 drive-lines.
Google is wrong then because we get heaps of calls for them and can't supply enough. Even the prices reflect this and the damaged car auctions. A 4x4 with bring lots more money that a 2WD because everyone wants the diffs.

Google is wrong then because we get heaps of calls for them and can't supply enough. Even the prices reflect this and the damaged car auctions. A 4x4 with bring lots more money that a 2WD because everyone wants the diffs.

Here's a little story : http://baustralianxtrail.runboard.com/t132020 but I can't find too many others! There needs to be a reason and one would seem to be odd size tyres (although that's one of the reasons why cars have differentials anyway) and another one possibly lack of service. Or, maybe it's the toilet paper syndrome and every servo feels they need to have a complete Koleos rear driveline at home.....

Here's a little story : http://baustralianxtrail.runboard.com/t132020 but I can't find too many others! There needs to be a reason and one would seem to be odd size tyres (although that's one of the reasons why cars have differentials anyway) and another one possibly lack of service. Or, maybe it's the toilet paper syndrome and every servo feels they need to have a complete Koleos rear driveline at home.....

It's to common to be coincidence.

Okay.

You talked me into it, if shit goes fucked I will blame you lot.

We now have a 2010 Dynamique with 80k on the clock. Diesel, 6 speed auto, 4x4. Nice, clean car, used to ferry babies around will continue same. Paid 8k for it.

Is this supposed to have a luggage cover?

If yes, I need one. Dave?

I will also change the tires, any suggestions?

We have a 2013. You should have a 'security cover' over the top and some slots along the left and right of the boot area where it attaches. It retracts like a window shade into a cross beam that spring loads between the sides just behind the seats. You will notice some rectangular indents in the side trim for it. If you mean hold downs, those were optional things. You can find them w/google and aliexpress seems to supply them. About $USD160 delivered! - if you can not find a resale...

This is from the X Trail forum. Three separate posts.

So last night the rear uni joint collapsed on our diesel T31. The one right at the back of the two piece tailshaft in front of the rear diff.
The workshop that I drove it to after tying the tailshaft up off the road just called and said that uni is non serviceable and the unit has to be replaced complete right from the transfer case/gearbox to the rear diff including both pieces of the tailshaft and the centre bearing.
Has anyone got any experience with this and is there any other way around it?
Seems a dumb move from Nissan or a smart move to gouge us for the whole assembly instead of just replacing a uni joint?

I know the uni joints in the T30 tailshaft are fixed pressed-in type and usually require replacement of the entire tailshaft but there are internet how-to's on replacing non-replacable uni joints. You just have to find the correct replacable uni joint for the tailshaft yokes.

Hi Tony, just went through the same thing with my 2011 T31. Took Nissan a long time to find what my noise was and eventually told that I needed the unijoint replace at the rear of the transmission, however the uni was only available as a complete unit with the tailshaft. $1740 fitted. I had my local wrecker track down a secon hand taishaft and took it to my local mechanic. He told me I was lucky that the joint hadn't let go yet. There was so much play in it.
The wrecker told me that If I tow (which I do) that the next thing in line to be replaced will be the transmission as they go hand in hand.
All this and it has done just under 100K
Boy, there'd be some rude comments around if these were French. Japanese, so it must be "very unusual" or something.... :)

It's to common to be coincidence.

Dave, does the Koleos rear driveline fit the X-trail and were your parts car Koleos drivelines all stuffed? How many of your customers were fitting the parts to a Koleos? Could it be simply an X-Trail problem, remembering that Nissan X-Trails have been sold in the squillions?

Okay.

You talked me into it, if shit goes fucked I will blame you lot.

We now have a 2010 Dynamique with 80k on the clock. Diesel, 6 speed auto, 4x4. Nice, clean car, used to ferry babies around will continue same. Paid 8k for it.

Is this supposed to have a luggage cover?

If yes, I need one. Dave?

I will also change the tires, any suggestions?

Congratulations I hope it goes well for you. Yes we do have a parcel shelf luggage cover thing. The're hard to find because most people remove them and then crash the car and they don't go back in.

Dave, does the Koleos rear driveline fit the X-trail and were your parts car Koleos drivelines all stuffed? How many of your customers were fitting the parts to a Koleos? Could it be simply an X-Trail problem, remembering that Nissan X-Trails have been sold in the squillions?

No definitely Koleos. They ring and ask for a diff for a 2013 Koleos, never has anyone asked if a Koleos will fit in an X Trail.
Paul @ AutoParis sent us a photo of one split in half that got towed into his workshop. I'm trying to find it, you can clearly see it's a Koleos.

Thanks, Dave! The X-Trail is built on the same platform as the Koleos and the Samsung QM6. I've found numbers that indicate the 2008 Koleos wheelbase is 2690mm whilst the X-Trail of the same year appears to be 2630mm so the tailshaft lengths would appear to be different. If that is the case it's not really a "common platform", is it?

Thanks, Dave! The X-Trail is built on the same platform as the Koleos and the Samsung QM6. I've found numbers that indicate the 2008 Koleos wheelbase is 2690mm whilst the X-Trail of the same year appears to be 2630mm so the tailshaft lengths would appear to be different. If that is the case it's not really a "common platform", is it?

We really don't know and it's hard to find out because they use different part numbers. Often thought about buying an X Trail just to rip it apart.

Thank you, Dave.

Any chance of posting that to WA?

About diff casings, I would hazard a guess they split because something was trapped in the gear mesh and pushed the diff crown away from the final drive. My old 17G g'box died that way and the diff side bearing retaining ring was thrown out destroying the threaded section in both nut and casing. The culprit was a tooth fragment off one of them. Now why did that fragment chip off, I have no idea. In my case, I suspect someone messed around with the g'box and didn't put it back together correctly, but with the Koleos I don't know. Maybe lack of proper maintenance? Would be interesting if the mechanic in question would ask the owner.

Thank you, Dave.

Any chance of posting that to WA?

About diff casings, I would hazard a guess they split because something was trapped in the gear mesh and pushed the diff crown away from the final drive. My old 17G g'box died that way and the diff side bearing retaining ring was thrown out destroying the threaded section in both nut and casing. The culprit was a tooth fragment off one of them. Now why did that fragment chip off, I have no idea. In my case, I suspect someone messed around with the g'box and didn't put it back together correctly, but with the Koleos I don't know. Maybe lack of proper maintenance? Would be interesting if the mechanic in question would ask the owner.

It could be lack of oil changes I don't know. I think it happens to often to be lack of maintenance. Maybe Paul at AutoParis pulled the old one apart and found a cause.

I can post to WA but it'll take a while, Australia post is hiding behind the Covid excuse and everything is taking a long time. Sending anything out of Victoria is like sending international.
PM your details and I'll work out a price with TNT.
The number of arguments I've had at the PO. 3-4 weeks Melb to Perth because of Covid. 3-4 days with TNT.

My post #42 contained these images:

X-Trail Diff.PNG

The poster suggested it may have been a lack of maintenance..................

Bit late now, but if you really just wanted ease of access and kiddie carting, should have bought one of these;

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2014-Kia-Rondo-Si-Auto-MY15/SSE-AD-6723224

Korean Scenic basically. And unlike a stupid useless vehicle, this will actually handle half decently and perhaps more importantly for the kiddies be a shit tonne safer. Probability of injury/death for children in SUVs due to their high roll over risk is high. I wouldn’t put kids in one...

Bit late now, but if you really just wanted ease of access and kiddie carting, should have bought one of these;

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2014-Kia-Rondo-Si-Auto-MY15/SSE-AD-6723224

Korean Scenic basically. And unlike a stupid useless vehicle, this will actually handle half decently and perhaps more importantly for the kiddies be a shit tonne safer. Probability of injury/death for children in SUVs due to their high roll over risk is high. I wouldn’t put kids in one...

Haakon, we thought you might have grown out of your childish preoccupation with "deadly" 2 and 4 wheel drive station wagons. You are confusing modern, safely designed 5-star ANCAP or Euro rating vehicles with Toyota's 60 year old cart axle designs. The two are chalk and cheese. Their roll-over rate is irrelevant when 99% of them are used in suburban areas at low speed for picking up and dropping off school kids. (Or that's what you have constantly reminded us they're used for.) You might ask our local wrecker how many he's seen involved in single car inversions just to get a sense of proportion. Small to medium 2 and 4 wheel drive station wagons seem to be among the best selling cars on the road in this day and age and it won't be because they're "unsafe at any speed". (To use a Ralph Nader phrase.) It's time for you to move on..........

Haakon, read more carefully.

I don't like bending my back.

Yes, I can read. I guess you’re not familiar with how mini MPV type things are set up. Similar seating height, but with lower COG, better handling, better safety, better efficiency, more efficient interior packaging, easier entry etc.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2017-kia-rondo-s-review-australian-drive/

How is one 5-Star Ancap rating better than another apart from very minor differences? Unless I am much mistaken you have never owned a Koleos or an X-trail or any other small SUV and I suspect never driven one in anger! You really do talk personally biased crap, Haakon!