Koleos Auto - any good?

Considering a Koleos but needs to be auto. Not sure if 4x4 or 4x2 (are there any?).

Are they any good?
David Cavanagh seems to have great trouble finding a market for secondhand parts for them, which seems a good general indicator. Why don't you ring him and find out what parts sell the most?

I have the old school hydraulic 6 speed. Has not missed a beat and is up to 100k km.

Considering a Koleos but needs to be auto. Not sure if 4x4 or 4x2 (are there any?).

Are they any good?

Petrol powered Kolei of any sort are mainly CVT autos, most diesels (Mk1 and Mk2) were six speed Nissan slush boxes with the occasional and rare manual. The diesel's torque was restricted to <320 Nm to ensure long gearbox life and so far it seems to have worked!

I have the old school hydraulic 6 speed. Has not missed a beat and is up to 100k km.

I that an auto six speed? The Nissan box Kim is talking about? Which would make yours a diesel?

Old school as in no 'puter? How's the fuel consumption?

I'd be looking at cars with higher mileage than that, maybe pushing 200k.

I that an auto six speed? The Nissan box Kim is talking about? Which would make yours a diesel?

Old school as in no 'puter? How's the fuel consumption?

I'd be looking at cars with higher mileage than that, maybe pushing 200k.

The six speed hydraulic auto is a self-learning computer controlled box. The sixth gear is pretty high and will not generally engage under 110 km/h. It can be manually over-ridden but the way the drive-train is designed it uses less fuel if left to it's own devices. In traffic, for instance, I let it shift automatically until I need to slow for lights when I downshift manually and use engine compression braking, which in the diesel is quite effective. It also will automatically downshift on a trailing throttle. Driving into the big smoke and back every day with an average speed of about 27 km/h I get 9.3 litres/100 km and in the country sitting on about 120+ km/h I get 8.3 litres/100 km. The 4x4 diesel weighs about 1600Kg. I have around 140K up and the car which is now 12 years old uses no oil whatsoever and everything works just fine!

As Kim says, computer controlled and probably full of all the wizz bangery available in modern auto's.
My slush box behaves differently to Kims though
It engages 6th at above 80km/h depending on load of course.
Fuel consumption goes from great too fair.

If I'm sitting at 100 on flat freeway, the number starts with 6 (just)
If I'm doing just school and shop trips, less than 5 km per trip it will get up to high 9's (L per 100km).

Of all the cars I've driven , this one has the most benign gearbox. I never ever notice it.
It just does exactly what a gearbox should do.
Holds gears downhill also, as most moderns do.
I lie..Occasionaly the stick gets moved to manual mode down hills, and I forget to move it back to auto, and I wonder why it is revving high on the next acceleration. That one is total user error.
As far as matching gears with motor rev range/torque and load, they got it 100%.
Being a city folk, I'd not own another manual car ever again after this one.

The Car is at 100k km and the mechanic recommends changing gearbox oil at 120k.

My front end needs a little work now..Some steering balljoints. I guess that's fair wear and tear.
Apart from brake rotors, and the blind for the sunroof going a bit odd. nothing much bad to report.

Jo

Hang on, Jo.

Just to clarify, is yours a diesel?

And for my future reference, how did the models evolve depending on manufacturing year?
Yes diesel 4x4.
I don’t think there is much primary difference between the model run.
Things like keyless entry and front grill....fluffy bits changed, but I believe they are all fairly similar up until recently, 2018 maybe whereby a new car was released.

Thanks, Jo, everybody.

As you can probably tell I know nothing of these, am just looking for a car that's a little bit taller so I don't have to bend halfway when I put my son in his baby seat. Kills my back and the barstard is nearly 20 kilos now. Other than that I have no particular interest in any car. I thought I would try these as you guys keep saying they sell for peanuts (the barstard will probably destroy it). How's the switchgear, by the way? The current Corolla seems to hold up brilliantly to the abuse inflicted by the bandit. I was telling my wife the other day, he would probably break everything in the 205 in five minutes. Likes the wiper and headlight stalks especially.

The CVT's also have six 'ranges' that you can select manually.
When on full auto (the usual place one would use for normal driving), the gears change seamlessly through the entire range as required.
In manual mode, the selected gear is the maximum it will go to.
e.g. if manually put in '3rd' the box will change automatically through 1st range, 2nd range, and into whatever pulley configuration equates to 3rd and back down again if you slow down but will not go any higher.

Switchgear appears to be fine. The only electrical gremlins I've come across have been the auto-wipe function that comes on sometimes when the screen is dry, and a fuel gauge sender that goes intermittent when the tank is below half.
No switches have broken but then I don't have kids tugging on the controls. There aren't any switches in the back where the kids would be sitting apart from the switch for the rear seat AC.

Cheers

Oh, since we moved the baby seat on the left side (from center) he figured out how to lock the door and play with the window.

Surely the Crapolla has kiddy disable function, my Laguna has a switch that stops kids opening the doors and playing with the windows while they are in the back seats.

My opinion of Koleos. I hate them. But I hate SUV's and automatic transmissions. SUV's Stupid Useless Vehicles. Big ugly things that don't handle, don't stop, drive like trucks and shocking ride.
But, if you must have one of these behemoths then Koleos is the one to pick. I must admit I considered buying one for a daily until I drove one that thought Megane was so much better.
My son has two, his is an early manual and his wife's is the current shape automatic, both have the same petrol 2.5 litre engine. He is like me and preferres boy cars and being in the trade made him to scared to tow their caravan with his wife's girl car. Much to our surprise the girl car is better on fuel.
In our business we dismantle lots of them, the only things that really sell are the lower tail gate catches and wiper motors, if people didn't crash them they would be useless to us.
Compared to other Euro SUV's they are the ones to buy, compared to VW, Peugeot, FIAT and those oil burning BMW's Koleos is much more reliable. Probably would avoid 4x4 because we gets lots of calls on rear diffs and rear driveshafts but 4x2 is very good, very rarely do we get calls on FWD parts.
So, if you want me to become your best friend and learn French Connections phone number off by heart buy a Peugeot, if you don't then buy a Koleos.

My opinion of Koleos. I hate them. But I hate SUV's and automatic transmissions. SUV's Stupid Useless Vehicles. Big ugly things that don't handle, don't stop, drive like trucks and shocking ride.
But, if you must have one of these behemoths then Koleos is the one to pick. I must admit I considered buying one for a daily until I drove one that thought Megane was so much better.
My son has two, his is an early manual and his wife's is the current shape automatic, both have the same petrol 2.5 litre engine. He is like me and preferres boy cars and being in the trade made him to scared to tow their caravan with his wife's girl car. Much to our surprise the girl car is better on fuel.
In our business we dismantle lots of them, the only things that really sell are the lower tail gate catches and wiper motors, if people didn't crash them they would be useless to us.
Compared to other Euro SUV's they are the ones to buy, compared to VW, Peugeot, FIAT and those oil burning BMW's Koleos is much more reliable. Probably would avoid 4x4 because we gets lots of calls on rear diffs and rear driveshafts but 4x2 is very good, very rarely do we get calls on FWD parts.
So, if you want me to become your best friend and learn French Connections phone number off by heart buy a Peugeot, if you don't then buy a Koleos.

Thank you Dave. Which one is the FWD model?

Like I said, it's not the amazing machine it is that has me looking for one, but my sore back.

Yeah, I was wondering if FWD cars/models have something specific in the name/badge so I know what I'm looking at in case the vendor's description is wrong.

Renault never did the Japanese trick and covered each and every model with myriads of badges indicating the status or otherwise of the owner. The best way to check a 4x4 version is to look on the console for the 4x4 Auto/Manual lock switch or look underneath for a rear tailshaft. Mine is a 4x4 diesel which has done a good few km through snow and mud locked in 4x4. Hasn't missed a beat in 12 years, so I'm not sure why DC sells rear diffs and tail-shafts in bulk.........