e10 fuel in a 1999 406 3 ltre coupe

A mishmash article leaving much confusion.
For anti knock protection a savings of 20-30+c/L seems to have eluded her.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

I don't really understand why you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this, but I think perhaps E10 may cheaper where you are than where I am. Around these parts, E10 is only about 2-4cpl less than 91 unleaded.

If it were 20-30cpl less, I'd be all over it!

I don't really understand why you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this, but I think perhaps E10 may cheaper where you are than where I am. Around these parts, E10 is only about 2-4cpl less than 91 unleaded.

If it were 20-30cpl less, I'd be all over it!

You answered your own question.
As a 95 substitute it DOES save me 29c/L.
There does seem to be an obsession with denigrating book approved E10/94/95.

Ah, see, there's the other point. Around here, most of the E10 suppliers are selling 91 octane E10. 94/95 octane E10 suppliers around here are few and far between.

I think in NSW the higher octane E10 is more common.

Regardless, my car runs fine on 91, with no noticeable performance or consumption difference to 95, so avoiding E10 on performance grounds is of no concern to me. My decision to avoid it is purely economical!

Ah, see, there's the other point. Around here, most of the E10 suppliers are selling 91 octane E10. 94/95 octane E10 suppliers around here are few and far between.

I think in NSW the higher octane E10 is more common.

Regardless, my car runs fine on 91, with no noticeable performance or consumption difference to 95, so avoiding E10 on performance grounds is of no concern to me. My decision to avoid it is purely economical!

Hahaha......mine’s to exploit it and a diesel would give me barely any better in net benefit.
What I’d like to know is - what is the actual sulphur content of E10 compared to 95 PULP or ULP.......same/higher/lower ?

I will give my experience with 95 octane E10 which is reasonably common in Brisbane. I have been using it for many years in a number of normal fuel injected cars. My '05 BA 6 cylinder Falcon did 190K before I sold it, 150 K being mine on 95 E10.

My '08 2L Megane has done 85K, 45K in my ownership, all on 95 E10. My much modified '73 BMW 2002 with electronic injection was running on a 100 octane 5-10% ethanol blend for about 6 years until the fuel was not produced. This car probably only did 3K on this fuel, 2K of which was on the track whilst using approx 40L/100Klm. It is not very efficient.

None of these vehicles have showed any failure of fuel system/ valves, compression or using oil, although the BMW does now have some blowby when being tracked now, probably just caused by wear, or possibly because the professional engine builder (I bought the engine cheaply from a friend) over bored it 140 thou. The BMW sometimes sat for 3 months without being started, but started easily each time after its hibernation.

I wouldn't have said E10 claiming to be 95 is common in NSW.

It's virtually non-existent in Sydney, with most servos selling it as E10 91 (and not selling real 91 at all). Perhaps they can start marketing it as E10 almost 95?

As an example, my local sells:
E10: 137.9
91: 139.9 - 2c
95: 155.9 - 18c
98: 164.9 - 27c

Rarely would it ever be in the savings range that Nagaman often quotes, but clearly most Sydney servos are taking advantage of the lack of 91 and the reluctance to use E10 to upsell 95 and 98.

I'm still not going to use E10 :)

I would have thought that as Sydney doesn’t have a refinery and , I assume, it’s all from Singapore(?), there wouldn’t be a local blend.
I would have thought 10% ethanol would force a higher anti knock rating.
United in Vic brand theirs as 95RON and the only other E10 supply seems to be Metro, or 7/11.
The C4P has stabilised at 5.2 but I have never accepted these displays as being completely accurate.......having said that, fill to fill seems to be v close to it.

Hey Nagaman,
Have you got a barrow to push? Do you own an ethanol plant? I don't really care either way but you appear to be pushing the line a bit too hard dude.
In simpler terms DILLIGAF.

The way this thread reads: The people who don't like or hate e10. Don't use it. Therefore have no real world evidence. Only "statistics" they've googled.

The people who use it have had none or next to no issues using it. In the real world my 406 uses it and never had a problem. How come statistics tell me I should have had a problem? Who's lying out there?

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app

You guys are so full of shit. If he wants to use E10 in his 406 let him, nothing will happen we've proved it for well over a million kms. We've been using it constantly since it came out and nothing ever goes wrong.

Started with my old Suby L series, over 400,000km
Our Mi16 was over 500,000 until it got written off.
My brothers BX16v is over 600,000

Chris's (Cav91) 406 V6 is over 400,000 now and we still use it as our prefered tow car.
Our Kangoo uses solely E10 and is up to 270,000 so far.

Even Chris's wifes brand new Koleos is up to 30,000 now and no problems.

Even my daughters Dunnydoor ute uses it, everything else falls apart but the fuel system is reliable.

There's been a list of cars I've forgotten about, my 18GTS, my 17 Gordini, all of Chris's Mi16's all used it and never ever have we seen any problems so all these so called "experts" are full of shit.

If you want to use it just do it you wont have a problem.

You guys are so full of shit. If he wants to use E10 in his 406 let him, nothing will happen we've proved it for well over a million kms. We've been using it constantly since it came out and nothing ever goes wrong.

Started with my old Suby L series, over 400,000km
Our Mi16 was over 500,000 until it got written off.
My brothers BX16v is over 600,000

Chris's (Cav91) 406 V6 is over 400,000 now and we still use it as our prefered tow car.
Our Kangoo uses solely E10 and is up to 270,000 so far.

Even Chris's wifes brand new Koleos is up to 30,000 now and no problems.

Even my daughters Dunnydoor ute uses it, everything else falls apart but the fuel system is reliable.

There's been a list of cars I've forgotten about, my 18GTS, my 17 Gordini, all of Chris's Mi16's all used it and never ever have we seen any problems so all these so called "experts" are full of shit.

If you want to use it just do it you wont have a problem.

Oh dear, there you go again dealing in evidence when a story/conspiracy is sooo much more exciting. :)

Just for fun I zero’d the trip calculator at Kalkallo on the fly, and at the freeway exit after ~ 80 kms it showed average consumption 4.8, average speed 87 kph and on 100% E10/95.
The wind a moderate crosswind and traffic light.
Cost - < 7c/km. Simply unbeatable.

Last edited:
Cost for fuel anyway, add the amortized cost of rego, insurance, maintenance etc etc and the cost per KM may be a somewhat more realistic figure :D

To see some real world figures look here: https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/buying-a-car.html#operatingcosts

Obviously fuel is a minor cost but that doesn’t stop endless ranting about being ripped off .....as if it’s the major cost of motoring.
If you’ve got an old depreciated banger, do fairly high mileage and you wield your own spanner it’s then a much more significant item.

Obviously fuel is a minor cost but that doesn’t stop endless ranting about being ripped off .....as if it’s the major cost of motoring.
If you’ve got an old depreciated banger, do fairly high mileage and you wield your own spanner it’s then a much more significant item[/url]

Yes, but you are saving a small fortune in those areas so that you can afford to fill the tank.

If you want to save further change your driving style.

Suppose then a 1999 406 is an old banger