Melbourne Dyna?

I reckon the Dyna is a wonderfully interesting vehicle. Citroen 2CVs are way over-priced IMHO (that's demand and iconic status for you), which is not to denigrate them for a moment. They were designed as very cheap rural transport and succeeded admirably. But the Dyna Panhard is a small, serious, family car.

There is a small but active Panhard group AFAIK and I imagine Jerry knows how to get into it.

If you are remotely captivated, this is one very rare opportunity indeed.

Just my take.

Attachments

• Panhard engine 1.jpg
    Panhard engine 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 512
  • Perth's new Panhard.jpg
    Perth's new Panhard.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 352
Gerry sent me some information on this rare car which I thank him for.
Thankyou all for sharing your opinions and thoughts. I think I am of the opinion to steer clear. I've had another look at the car and it looks to be riddled with rust in the floor.
Michael

It is possible to fabricate a floor as I did for my 24CT but it is a complex design and took more manhours than I care to count. It is a good warning to look at the structural parts of the frame. If they are rusted I would advise that the wreck has gone too far. Unfortunately it came from an era when steel was in short suppply in France and of indifferent quality. Priority of supply was given to the three major manufacturers of small cars and the rest were left with .....
If still turning, the engine and gearbox would have some value in France for restoration, as parts of the smaller capacity engines are now rare.
If anyone is interested I can help you access the resources of the DCPL in France.

All rather fascinating. The Dyna has been promised to someone but I doubt that he will take up the offer.
We'll see how things progress. All the Best Michael

I would be keen Michael...if you, or the other party aren't purchasing. Timing is not good, but these things don't appear every day! Please feel free to PM me if you like.

Melbourne dyna

Have a feeling that the car is not the model you guys are referring to. From what the description that IDEAR has given I would be inclined to say it is the DYNA PANHARD 1946 -1954. This is a very small car not unlike the Renault 4CV and while it had a steel body the four doors and bonnet were of aluminium. The first model of 1946 was powered by a 610cc 24 bhp engine but this was quickly rose to 750 and then 850cc with the power output increasing to 38 bhp. Restoring a Panhard can be quite difficult as they were one of the few car manufacturers that made their components in-house and now its difficult to find the parts, they also have things Iike roller bearings in the engine so I believe.

Attachments

• PANHARD DYNAoo2.jpg
    PANHARD DYNAoo2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 374
  • panhard engine.jpg
    panhard engine.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 806
  • panhard001.jpg
    panhard001.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 361
Interesting.
Yes, not for the merely generically technically competent I gather. I do wish that the French had not generally abandoned the "we like it quirky" tendency of the past. Mind you, the Twizy & Twingo & maybe the Cactus have to count as a bit quirky.

cheers! Peter

Have a feeling that the car is not the model you guys are referring to. From what the description that IDEAR has given I would be inclined to say it is the DYNA PANHARD 1946 -1954. This is a very small car not unlike the Renault 4CV and while it had a steel body the four doors and bonnet were of aluminium. The first model of 1946 was powered by a 610cc 24 bhp engine but this was quickly rose to 750 and then 850cc with the power output increasing to 38 bhp. Restoring a Panhard can be quite difficult as they were one of the few car manufacturers that made their components in-house and now its difficult to find the parts, they also have things Iike roller bearings in the engine so I believe.

Yes, the engine uses roller bearings but the gearbox is much more of a challenge. It uses a variety of different needle roller bearings no longer manufactured. Both include many design solutions never used elsewhere and so a mechanic however experienced outside the Panhard world is unlikely even to recognise them. For example in the hydraulic tappet assembly unscrewing an innocuous nut releases a 4mm ball bearing and a calibrated spring, never to be seen again on the workshop floor. The spring tension is mission critical to the tappet assembly. Inside the oil distribution channels in the crankcase lurk bronze clips which act as non return valves. Failure to find, clean and reseat these correctly when rebuilding can lead to early engine failure.
Piston selection and combustion chamber balancing are black art in this engine. A number of special tools are need to open the engine and to reinstall the valve gear.
The gearbox, like the engine is of cast aluminium. Disassembly require the use of carefully positioned heat to release bearings. One of the special tools is a gas burner assembly to do just that. It is east to distort the casting and wreck the box. Assembly requires a set of shims of various sizes and thicknesses, several of which go behind heat installed bearings. So you need a set of dummy bearings that are a sliding fit to set the clearances.
If you do not care too much about authenticity and have a good workshop and metrology, you can machine both engine and gearbox castings to accept modern bearings and oil seals.
In my view, before attacking one of these beasts it is worthwhile to make the investment in a training course given by engineers dedicated to preserving the Panhard know-how. To do that you need to brush up your French, join the DCPL (Dynamic Club Panhard et Levassor) and spend a long weekend in Limoges. These are annual and this year's are on now. See Bienvenue sur le site du DCPL
To see some pictures of the internals of these cars have a look at
panhard
This picture
panhard
shows some of the fun. You can see journals for roller bearings; needles for end thrust control, tapered roller for the hypoid pinion, a ball race for an output shaft, some of the shims......

Last edited:
Melbourne panhard

"Thanks" Gerry. Nice to get the good oil from the real Guru who knows what they are talking about.

JP SIMCA MAN

Have a feeling that the car is not the model you guys are referring to.

Dyna X, Dyna Z, Dyna Junior, PL17, 24BT, 24CT, DB, CD, I'll take any of them! :) In fact, I'm still looking gor a Hartnett, the car that started me on Panhards in the first place!

Dyna X, Dyna Z, Dyna Junior, PL17, 24BT, 24CT, DB, CD, I'll take any of them! :) In fact, I'm still looking gor a Hartnett, the car that started me on Panhards in the first place!

Good on you! I lust after Gerry's 24CT (sitting temporarily in one of my garage spaces - never mind why) but am acutely aware that ownership of it in not feasible in my circumstances (neither my mechanic nor I could cope with it). It sits neatly by my Djet (both unique in Australia). I suggest that you depart for France & do courses while there are still people alive to offer them.

cheers! Peter

Melbourne dyna

This is one of the unrestored Dyna in WA, The changed hands a couple of times a few years back and I have lost track of it since. The car had been imported from an African country and while being complete was in poor condition, the body had rust, looked like hail damage, rat eaten interior and was anyone's guess what the mechanics were like, the best thing about it was the factory workshop manual.>
There are one or two more, unrestored, in WA. One turned up at our FCD a few years back. Toasted but complete....

Attachments

• p01.jpg
    p01.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 348
Fascinating Gerry. Just fascinating. Trust Tassie is treating you well.

Cheers

Good on you! I lust after Gerry's 24CT (sitting temporarily in one of my garage spaces - never mind why) but am acutely aware that ownership of it in not feasible in my circumstances (neither my mechanic nor I could cope with it). It sits neatly by my Djet (both unique in Australia). I suggest that you depart for France & do courses while there are still people alive to offer them.

cheers! Peter

I share your lust. Amazing devices.

Hello Gerry, I'm in the UK and look in to this site once or twice a year. Just wanted to say well done with your car , glad to see you are out and about with it, and enjoying it immensely by the sound of it ! I have passed on my my PL17 which I put back on the road after standing for 20 years ( I too had to do a new floor and make sills etc ) but I now have a CT to rebuild. I can't do anything to it until I retire and move house next July but am looking forward to that. I used the PL every day for 5 years to and from work. Lots of problems but great fun. Love these cars to death ! All the best Ady

I must get back to talking with the owner of the rusty Dyna. A person had first option to buy the car. I wonder if he took it up?
I say again, it's a crazy looking car.
Reading the comments so devoted to these mysterious contraptions makes me think that one needs to be a bit crazy to love them.
Michael

Melbourne dyna

Under the bonnet pictures of the WA Panhard.

This is one of the unrestored Dyna in WA, The changed hands a couple of times a few years back and I have lost track of it since. The car had been imported from an African country and while being complete was in poor condition, the body had rust, looked like hail damage, rat eaten interior and was anyone's guess what the mechanics were like, the best thing about it was the factory workshop manual.>

Attachments

• PANARD01.jpg
    PANARD01.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 374
  • PANARD02.jpg
    PANARD02.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 383
  • PANARD03.jpg
    PANARD03.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 377