1977 London to Sydney Car Rally website

Flash Car 76

Fellow Frogger
I put this out on email to many this morning. I was just interested on what others might think.
FLASH
One question ................

In under 7 days we are due to renew the hosting etc for our website www.1977londontosydney.com. Why should we renew it?

We:

- have had 3 hits on the website in the last two (2) years: and

- deleted 47,825 spam messages to the webpage in the last 3 years (including 23 this morning).

Peter J (FLASH) Flanagan

I put this out on email to many this morning. I was just interested on what others might think.
FLASH
One question ................

In under 7 days we are due to renew the hosting etc for our website www.1977londontosydney.com. Why should we renew it?

We:

- have had 3 hits on the website in the last two (2) years: and

- deleted 47,825 spam messages to the webpage in the last 3 years (including 23 this morning).

Peter J (FLASH) Flanagan

Peter that is a real shame, I know your pain with regard to weeding at least potential spam. gibgib has a few systems in place to make it difficult for those that attempt to break through the net on aussiefrogs, we have pretty well eliminated bots but I still delete possibly 25% of new registrations every day - a routine I have become used to.

Improving genuine hits to your site will be a task, we may be able to help by making a thread sticky in 'Froggy Chat', let me know if we can help in anyway :wink2:

Tried to access the site from the address above but it didn't want to load.

Paul

Paul try http://www.1977londontosydney.com/

Cheers
Chris

Improving genuine hits to your site will be a task, we may be able to help by making a thread sticky in 'Froggy Chat', let me know if we can help in anyway

Thanks Greenblood, we are currently looking at removing the "contact" fields and just making it email contact only to try and get around the spam problem. The low hit rate is a concern though.
FLASH

Flash Car 76 said:
Thanks Greenblood, we are currently looking at removing the "contact" fields and just making it email contact only to try and get around the spam problem. The low hit rate is a concern though.
FLASH

Peter,
Good call on the 'contact fields', genuine visitors will be happy to email, if something of interest is sent through you can add to your site.

Please feel free to start a thread both here in 'Motorsport' and 'Froggy Chat' and I'll make them stickies. You have collected some nice history that is very relevant to our forum it would be tragic to lose it. :)

Cheers
Chris

Flash, you would get a lot of interest if you sent emails to Rally E-groups especially HRA.
Also, Brindabella, and Classic rally cars forums, Rallysport Magazine.
There is a guy, Paul someone, in Port Macquarie who has a rally history website.
I can help out from Monday with addresses for these sites but busy at present.
Graham

Improving genuine hits to your site will be a task, we may be able to help by making a thread sticky in 'Froggy Chat', let me know if we can help in anyway

FLASH

Thanks to everyone

With all the responses we renewed. We have turned off the mechanism for people to put public comments onto the website and the only way to contact the site is via the email address. It appears to be working as there was no spam this morning, the time first that this has ever happened.

The cost wasn't the problem as you can see from my original post. In fact it was about
the same cost as 3 or 4 cases of beer for Carolyn. So now I have to get to work and start uploading the 385 photos that Max Stahl has sent me.

I trust that your Christmas was as enjoyable as ours. We spent Christmas Eve at the neighbours and then travelled up to Brisbane for lunch on Sunday with the daughter and her family. Very relaxing having everyone else do all the work.

All we need now is a day or two without the 20 to 40 knot winds and some temperatures below the 36 to 41 we have been having.

Give all your families and friends a big hug, have a good New Year and remember it is the year for the big win in Lotto.

With all the responses we renewed. We have turned off the mechanism for people to put public comments onto the website and the only way to contact the site is via the email address. It appears to be working as there was no spam this morning, the time first that this has ever happened.

The cost wasn't the problem as you can see from my original post. In fact it was about
the same cost as 3 or 4 cases of beer for Carolyn. So now I have to get to work and start uploading the 385 photos that Max Stahl has sent me.

I trust that your Christmas was as enjoyable as ours. We spent Christmas Eve at the neighbours and then travelled up to Brisbane for lunch on Sunday with the daughter and her family. Very relaxing having everyone else do all the work.

All we need now is a day or two without the 20 to 40 knot winds and some temperatures below the 36 to 41 we have been having.

Give all your families and friends a big hug, have a good New Year and remember it is the year for the big win in Lotto.

Good news Peter :)
I've made this thread a 'sticky', look forward to your updates and viewing the additional 385 photos...

Cheers
Chris

Car 40 the Peugeot 594 LTI has been found. Richard Davies emailed me this morning to say that he has owned (and rallied) the Wadman, Shand, Arthur 504 for a number of years. An edited version of his email is in NEWS on the website and the picture is under car 40 in PHOTO GALLERY. It looks a little sad.
FLASH

P.S: I ran a control 40 miles north of Benambra on the road to Corryong with the help of RCCD members in the 1977 rally. Bloody long way to go to do it, but that day/night is etched indelibly in my (and a lot of other peoples) memory!

Thanks to all you blokes for the "heads up" I hadn't renewed the Domain name. I know I'm slack as I usually pay it on 28 Dec but was a little bit side-tracked and (not) thinking of other things this time with a heart attack on Christmas Eve. Have rectified and payed so it should be up and running in a day or two. I don't know how long it will take for the domain people to let the web hoster know that we are back in business but would not expect it to be too long.

Did I tell you how to pee off a Canadian girl? Well to Canadians Christmas Eve and Christmas is one of the times of the year that they look forward to and, as I am married the lovely Carolyn who is a Canadian, I think that I really p**sed her off this year as I slept from 3.30pm Christmas Eve until 7.30am Boxing Day and missed it all. No Christmas Eve with the neighbours, I missed the phone calls from the kids Christmas Day and to top it all off I did not know that the wonderful daughter-in-law Jess (Luc's wife) had produced a 9+lb grandson just before 9.00pm Christmas Eve until some time after I woke up Boxing Day.

Thanks again to everyone and it should be up and running soon.
FLASH

Attachments

• London Sydney 1977-18.jpg
    London Sydney 1977-18.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,003
  • London Sydney 1977 CX 1.jpg
    London Sydney 1977 CX 1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 4,112