AL4 Auto - finally smooth shifting!

Dropped the fluid on the Reno today, 4.3 litres came out...

Well over a litre overfilled. That might account for poor behaviour when hot.

Dealer filled of course, and even rechecked by them. Sigh.

Second change today with Penrite ATF FS - noticeable improvement on the ELF Renaultmatic fluid.

Particularly better on the kick down/downshift.

Did you check in Neutral or in Drive?

Just checking. Some autos are done in drive, which soaks up another litre. Thus when in Park/Neutral they appear over full.

Just checking. Some autos are done in drive, which soaks up another litre. Thus when in Park/Neutral they appear over full.

Although now you mention it, wonder if the checked it in drive... Wouldn't surprise me.

Best to check in drive with foot on brake if it's al4 wait for a steady stream of oil come out from the bottom check plug ,never check oil when trans is hot

Via the aussiefrogs App

Best to check in drive with foot on brake if it's al4 wait for a steady stream of oil come out from the bottom check plug ,never check oil when trans is hot

Via the aussiefrogs App

Umm... Factory guidance is to check in park and warm. And to wait for steady stream to slow to a drip.

Really should wait until full stream is viable the u know there trapped air pockets have gone .when tran s is hot level will rise check cold or warm not hot tks

Via the aussiefrogs App

Monday, seems to be behaving itself ,e mailed nulon and this is there recommended oil for scenic [all vehicle full synthetic ] ,also contacted elf distributor in bris was quoted $12 a liter ,cheaper than i had expected ,if i had known i probably would have ,gone elf as im sure its cheaper or comparable with nulon, pugs

My mechanic at Eurozone is an elf user and could most likely give you some hints on where to purchase here in Brisbane, if not do your servicing for you. Highly recommend him.

Theres an ELF distributor in bris ,check google., family buisnes, very helpfuL and cheaper than HULON PUGS

Jae656, you say you used amsoil synthetic ATF.... I ordered some from America with the intention of using it in the c5 al4 and the xm 4hp20. Although the label states it is suitable for applications requiring LT 71141, it also says its compatible with gm dextrin 2, 3, an 4. It's also red! Should I be worried about using this?

Via the aussiefrogs App

To answer my own question... No, this stuff didn't work in the al4 in the c5. Changed the fluid this morning, put the amsoil synthetic universal automatic transmision fluid in, and within 80k's, went from clunky changes to slipping in all gears! Oops! I'll get some esso stuff and change it again keeping fingers, toes, and everything else crossed:).

Via the aussiefrogs App

That's with like-for-like volumes of fluid?

Impressive, the difference. I'd almost see that as signs of a gearbox with other issues about to rise up.

Will be interesting to see how it behaves with two changes back to 4711 fluid.

Yeah, the transmission has never been right, its done 204,000. At 110,000 it had a new valve body fitted due to bad gear changes and going into limp home mode, but problems with getting faults and stuck in third have always intermittently happened since (thought it was a feature). For the last few months its been slipping into 2nd and on occasions it has refused to engage 2nd. It's my dads car and it seems to play up whenever I drive it, possibly partly because I live at the top of a big hill! Yeah, it's really been on its last legs for a while and changing fluid was a bit of a band aid solution in the hope of making it go a while longer.

Via the aussiefrogs App

I recon this would be the fix!!! :) This post was from 29th October 2013.

icon1.gif
Al4 /DPO modified super slippery replacement Pressure Solenoids
I have for sale custom late update solenoids that are direct replacement of the existing pressure control and lock up converter control.my design give a little more tolerance for not new transmissions.And won't fail AGAIN so easily.

problems include ,fail safe no converter lock, thumps downshifts ,neutralizing on take off,
any questions feel free to email me Tonyandryan@msn.com

If a valvebody doesn't fix a gearbox (I'm assuming it was correctly fitted) then it's probably safe to say the unit has major issues beyond a couple of solenoids.

Oil pumping ability seems potentially a culprit; that's a full stripdown to remedy and you'd do the converter plus rebush your stator while it's possible.