AL4 Auto - finally smooth shifting!

Thanks for the update bdlow not many ever get back with an update. :)

Your findings may help others.

Coming up to 18 months since the ATF fluid change: all still well. Around 10,000k further down the road in that time (260k total), 90% city driving. Gear changes just as good as when I changed the fluid.

Thought I'd share my experiences with my AL4 in the 206cc. The car sat idle for about 6 months until I got it, at 220k km. Would occasionally give a bit of a kick around 3rd gear, fault message displayed, and also sometimes a belated jolt back into 1st at traffic lights after a long drive.

I let the old fluid out, very watery and grey, and have put in 4 and a bit litres of Penrite ATF FS. Going better, but I still get the kick and fault light occasionally early in the day, only when the temp is about 80 degrees, generally pretty smooth though for the rest of the day.

Is this the best I can hope for at this mileage? Maybe there's a "better" fluid out there...

Have you only done the one change? I'm pretty sure that the AL4, like other autos, hangs onto at least half of it's fluid when you drain it, so all you've done so far is to dilute the old fluid. A couple more changes (maybe allow 1000 km between changes) and you should have got rid of most of the old fluid, which may help.

If you get more thumps in hotter weather, when the engine has been at operating temp for a while, you may need to look at improving the transmission cooling. I have a 4HP20 coupled to an ES9J4 engine, and the transmission "cooler" is actually a heat exchanger which transfers heat from the engine (via the coolant) into the transmission fluid, so the transmission is forced to run at engine temperature. If the AL4 uses the same system, then getting rid of the heat exchanger and installing a separate transmission cooler will help the transmission to run cooler, extending it's life and stopping the thumps.

Have you only done the one change? I'm pretty sure that the AL4, like other autos, hangs onto at least half of it's fluid when you drain it, so all you've done so far is to dilute the old fluid. A couple more changes (maybe allow 1000 km between changes) and you should have got rid of most of the old fluid, which may help.

If you get more thumps in hotter weather, when the engine has been at operating temp for a while, you may need to look at improving the transmission cooling. I have a 4HP20 coupled to an ES9J4 engine, and the transmission "cooler" is actually a heat exchanger which transfers heat from the engine (via the coolant) into the transmission fluid, so the transmission is forced to run at engine temperature. If the AL4 uses the same system, then getting rid of the heat exchanger and installing a separate transmission cooler will help the transmission to run cooler, extending it's life and stopping the thumps.

The AL4 will need around 3 oil changes to clear out the old fluid. Make sure you do the correct level check at correct operating temp of 60 deg each time
With a vehicle with high kms it will be time to replace the heat exchanger on the rear of the box, square thing with the 2 coolant hoses connected. There are 3 different thickness units on the market original about 27mm to the thickest 50mm. They are held in place with 1 bolt but the bolt length is specific to the thickness of the heat exchanger.

I may have a spare 27 or 33mm heat exchanger if you're going down this path.

Fluid flush again and 100km between changes is fine.

Good luck

Hey Stew ....I think crap is a bit harsh ...personally I think any auto on anything other than a nice tourquey Vs is crap. .... and Europeans have never done Autos well ... especially 4 cylinder autos! In my experience with both the 4speed SF box that preceded this one in the BX and 405 and the AL4 it was poor or infrequent servicing and / or ignorance regarding the importance of the correct fluid as we'll as our heat that combined to kill them early ....the concept of sealed for life doesn't help! As for an update on our AL4.... after 600klms still shifting nicely.... and if all it will need is a tube of friction modifier every so often to keep it that way ...happy days!
My mechanic has recommended a fluid change in my 2005 C5 HDI every second service, he doesn't believe in sealed for life either.

There is a little problem which crops up in the electrical bits which causes the AL 4 to go into limp home mode with no codes - that's dirty tracks in the selector switch sometimes or can be degraded wiring shorting out on one of the sensors. Posted notes and pics in the technical forum.

Don't chuck out or walk away from a car when the problem might be a dud wire or a spot of corrosion half the size of a pin head!

Hey Stew ....I think crap is a bit harsh ...personally I think any auto on anything other than a nice tourquey Vs is crap. .... and Europeans have never done Autos well ... especially 4 cylinder autos! In my experience with both the 4speed SF box that preceded this one in the BX and 405 and the AL4 it was poor or infrequent servicing and / or ignorance regarding the importance of the correct fluid as we'll as our heat that combined to kill them early ....the concept of sealed for life doesn't help! As for an update on our AL4.... after 600klms still shifting nicely.... and if all it will need is a tube of friction modifier every so often to keep it that way ...happy days!
Never had any problem with ZF.s in 504 and 505 s.Whoever built the AL4 destroyed a great Company.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING !!! WAS IT LETS WRECK THIS COMPANY...AND IF THAT WILL NOT DO IT...WE WILL PUT A 3 CYL VIOLENT CRUMBLE .. Bust Mans Wallet engine with a bicycle chain on it.!!!

I can only think of two (2) ways to tolerate an AL4$ gearbox. Believe you me I tried with my daughter's immaculate and very expensive low mileage fully dealer serviced 306XSi.
: 1. Learn to use the accelerator like a fairy, never push it straight to the floor and NEVER EVER lift your foot straight off!
: 2. Drive the car over a cliff!!!

PS Don't waist your good money on repairs. Feel free to "Google" problems AL4 gearbox. (145,000 items today!)
Peugeot dealer mechanic told me that they had replaced three (3) new AL4 gearboxes in the same brand new (early model) 308 under warranty.

Sorry!

Oops option must have been chosen by this owner

It seems to be luck of the draw as most AL4s are not serviced so sealed with a death wish.
Not too difficult to repair if you follow the instructions and know what the actual issue is.
Have rebuilt 2 now with help from those who have cracked them open. The current AL4 in Carlo5 is getting close to 100km on a rebuild and 2 oil services so far, we did have to replace the valve body that was causing limp mode but that was the original with 270km so not too bad for 16 years of use and abuse.

My 5 cents

I'll just give an update for my 206cc, been about 6 weeks since changing the fluid and zero problems at the moment! No faults, no jolts... I've got another can of Penrite FS ready to go for another flush but I'll just hang off for a little longer. Up to 231k now.

How is stop/start traffic on a hot day....thats an extreme test for any AL4😣
At 231km a replacement heat exchanger would be next on the cards if starts to misbehave.
Find the thicker unit if possible and longer bolt.
That's great new, expect the oil to be contaminated on the 2nd flush so a 3rd will be required as well as clearing the oil counter in the trans ECU.

HI All, I recently serviced my 207 Valve body and filled with Pentrite multi vehicle sATF oil. I notice 2nd gear is hard shift with a jerk.other gears are very smooth.
1. Shuld i go for OEM gear oil from dealrship?
2. how many leters exaclty for filling?
3.Any idea about FAP app to check oil pressure temp?