My XM has landed

aquinian

Fellow Frogger
Well, that's what it looks like it did... :)

These things are an almost instant classic. I'm sure the chief designer watched Back to the Future one night and the next morning sat down to design a saloon...

Attachments

• IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,082
Series 2 grill, Series 1 spoiler (I like that combo) and alloys that I haven't seen before. But with unpainted mirrors and panel immediately in front of it.

It looks good in that colour.

Series 2 grill, Series 1 spoiler (I like that combo) and alloys that I haven't seen before. But with unpainted mirrors and panel immediately in front of it.

It looks good in that colour.

Apart from the series 2 grill, that's pretty much how a series 1 came out of the box Simon. Matt black/grey mirrors and scuttle, and those are the correct wheels.

Agree aquinian, I miss looking at mine they are a really nicely balanced design that deserves more recognition.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris - I wasn't suggesting the mirrors, scuttle panels or wheels were "incorrect."

I've seen many Series 1 XMs and none have had those wheels. I like them, I just don't recall seeing them before.

mine is exactly the same, except for the grill,same wheels,colour
denxm

Interesting about the grill. Must have been replaced. The car was sold new by Eurocars. Rod Slater bought it back at some point and I recently acquired it from him. It wasn't running - the fuel pump has failed. I have one on order from a UK supplier.

The only other defects are faded paint on the roof, and a "melted" dash. That plastic that Froggie manufacturers used in that period was absolute rubbish. It also had a broken driver's windown regulator (the plastic part that sits through the glass) which we repaired by gluing and screwing it back together. It's like a nylon type product, and at least that bit of plastic was able to be worked with!

Does anybody know where there's a bent car being wrecked? I'd like to replace some or all of the dash plastic, if I can find some better bits. I'm also going to have the roof painted. With those improvements it will be a superb example, I think.

Cheers,
John.

Here's a closer look at a mag wheel, and of the dash plastic.

Attachments

• IMAG0419.jpg
    IMAG0419.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 650
  • IMAG0418.jpg
    IMAG0418.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 652
X m

Looking 4 the electronic control panel 4 heater and air conditioning 4 . series 1 XM , or advice on possible source, I cannot recognise the wheels, mine have trodden near 300 K , 11cv2.

I think they are early 24V wheels.

John you need to hit up club-xm.co.uk for the bits. It won't be too hard.

The plastics were largely incorrect applications; ABS where polyprop should have been used, being a large element of failure.

Here's a closer look at a mag wheel, and of the dash plastic.

I guess it won't be running for next Sunday's FCF in Perth? Be lovely to have possibly a second XM there.

They look lovely sweeping around the Place de la Concorde in Paris. Just lovely.

Nice car. Like one or two other Citroens in Perth in the last couple of years, I'm glad I only found out it was for sale after it was sold!

You'll probably find Martin Bray has some dash parts, but many will have been cooked like yours. I do have a glovebox lid and a cluster cowl, but no other dash bits. The clip on the regulator was available as a separate part as far as I can recall - see parts diagram.

Wheels: I've seen them on an early UK 2.0 auto import, an upspec SE model - black on black leather, roof and alloys (corroded of course). I understood that if the car was sold here with a sunroof it missed out on alloy wheels and cruise control. Just a quirk of the importer's preferences.

First job is to check the strut tops.

To doustk, if you just need the knobs on the AC panel, which snap off, look at the attached parts diagram. The knob kit is marked as no longer made, but is possibly still available via a dealer.

Attachments

• XMAC.JPG
    XMAC.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 536
  • XMReg.JPG
    XMReg.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 460
Thanks guys, for all the info.

JohnW, if the fuel pump arrives this week, it will run (it runs fine on Start Ya Bastard). :)

I need to look into the struts issue, as I have no idea what signs to look for, and the bonnet is flawless. I certainly don't want it ruined!

Thanks guys, for all the info.

JohnW, if the fuel pump arrives this week, it will run (it runs fine on Start Ya Bastard). :)

I need to look into the struts issue, as I have no idea what signs to look for, and the bonnet is flawless. I certainly don't want it ruined!

We can discuss the strut issue at the FCF all being well. I should be there with the red CX.

Cheers

Those alloys are AU spec items. Very early cars have them.

Was this car owned by another AF member who had an "off" with some wildlife a whileback? Should this car have an offcentre set of "chevrons" as opposed to the MK2 grille...?

Well, as far as I know, Rod Slater owned it for many years, driving it for a few then storing it for a few more.

Looking 4 the electronic control panel 4 heater and air conditioning 4 . series 1 XM , or advice on possible source, I cannot recognise the wheels, mine have trodden near 300 K , 11cv2.
here you go,..myworld.ebay.uk/pctonkin2011
60 pounds,brand new, scroll through the pages, was about page 15 i think,also has xantia,bx bits

Welcome to the Xm club. They are a truly beautiful, if sometimes frustrating, cars. No modern cars look like them nor glide like them.

I had a Series 1 model a few years ago and it had the same alloy wheels.

Enjoy your car.

(it runs fine on Start Ya Bastard)

Isn't that like saying your kids run fine on red cordial?

This is what the strut mounts should not look like. Pic of Chris's (Green Blood's) car, now at my place. I drove it into one of the sheds yesterday. The rubber perishes and lets go. It has to flex quite a lot from lock to lock.

XM dodgy strut.jpg

John, I can probably help you with at least some of the interior bits (if I can work out how to pull it apart without breaking anything). Pic of same car. I may not be able to spare all the bits you need though (mine has cracks too).

XM dash.jpg

Roger

Very nice Michael I used to see these all the time in the uk, yet havent seen one over here ever!!