aftermarket head unit

BW205

Fellow Frogger
I want to know whether it is possible to fit a aftermarket head unit with the original eurovox 10-CD changer on the 306 GTi??

I want a new head unit eg. mp3 or a better quality one that puts out a few more watts :D
and later I can put some new speakers in.

FYI, my car with the optional Audio system of the 306

Cheers
Billy

YES !!!!

its a standard size replacement. The Eurovox units were fitted by Peugeot Australia and are excatly the same units fitted to Pulsars *eeeek*.

How difficult is it to change the head unit in the 306? What's the wiring like? Do you need to splice wires etc. yourself, or can you buy adaptor wires to make the existing wires suit various brands of head units etc.?

splicing I think is the way to go , just make sure the installer uses the soldering iron as opposed to some dodgy finger tight twisting that Strathfield Car Audio places like to use.

The Eurovox came with the adapter so there is already an extension. It is very unlikely it will fit anything else. You can get adapters but slicing new wires is pretty easy just take your time. It took me about 3 hrs to fit a new head unit (begining to end). I left the original wiring in place so when I got fed up with the skipping CD (cheap shite I bought) all I had to do to replace the OEM unit was to plug it stright back in.

-hint-
If you ever decide to sell your car the buyers like to have the car standard including the audio.

btw. I am not an installer and dont work in the trade, but Im not scared of a multimeter and sidecutters wink

Thanks for the replies.

I probably have ask the wrong question. mallet I don't mean to ask whether a aftermarket head unit will fit physically into the existing head unit spot. Sorry for the confusion. :D

I meant to ask whether an aftermarket head unit will be compatible (i.e. the aftermarket head unit can operate )with the standard Eurovox 10 CD changer.

Cheers a_drink
Billy

if you mean a different brand unit, i don't think so. I remember i was trying to find if there was another brand stacker that worked with the eurovox unit but there was none.

Hey BW205
A little word of advice on mp3 head units.
I couldnt wait to get my hands on a mp3 HU, i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

However today (5 months on) i never listen to any mp3 cd's, due to it's poor quality. Im finding that alot of people with mp3 HU are finding it hard to play 192kb or higher quality mp3's without it stuffing up!! eek! :confused:

If you want good quality tunez stay away from mp3.

regards
asanka cheers!

Yeah use AAC on an iPod instead... for those of us who have an iPod disappro

Derek

The reason I wanted a mp3 HU is so that I can listen to pop music ...and when they aged (the pop music) I can simply erase the disc and re-record newer pop music in.

I've tried putting a CD-RW in the normal CD changer....yes, I did convert the mp3 tunes to whatever format the CD players read, but the CD Changer doesn't like reading CD-RW....do you know if other brands of CD-RW that the OE CD Changer can read?

CHeers
Billy cheers!

Hi all
I recently fitted a $400 Pioneer MP3 HU to my car and couldnt be happier. All my mp3's have been ripped using EAC and encoded with Lame using VBR from original CD's. To my ears,( and others who have listened to it ) there is no difference between listening to the MP3's or the original CD's.

Terry

BW205:

I've tried putting a CD-RW in the normal CD changer....yes, I did convert the mp3 tunes to whatever format the CD players read, but the CD Changer doesn't like reading CD-RW....do you know if other brands of CD-RW that the OE CD Changer can read?

CHeers
Billy cheers!
Billy,
I have come across a problem where some CD-roms do not "like" blue or grey CDR's. DELL leptops at work are prime example. They have no problems with silver or gold CDR's. Experiment with different CD's. As tot he CDRW's, CDR's are about 50c ea, and we do live in disposable society. disappro

Let us know if that helps.

i still have my eurovox that was in my 306 its funny the password was the same as my dads eurovox in this 1992 VP holden :confused: :confused:

my kenwood will read a kodak CD-RW but no others
but as CD's are so cheap i don't worry about CD-RW's these days
i go through many many of them

Wouldn't think that many car stero's would read CD-RW's?

Make sure that the session is ended after they are burnt. This would prevent them from working also.

shobbz

i bought the bottom of the line jvc mp3 deck, around 300 at the time(6 months ago). Only thing wrong with it is how slow it scans through an mp3... ugly when you've got sets going for over an hour

with the prices of mp3 decks these days, why not?
Still plays normal music files! =)

ever tried a Mini-Disc

the best thing i ever bought i tell, you it sounds like just what ur looking for. although an ipod is good too. MD is my absoulte reccomendation don't bother with anyhting else.

they can have upto 5hrs on one disc :D , totally re-recordable, move and erase tracks, rename, blah blah blah.

don't get a car MD-player or changer, way too 2_cents !!! get a cd player or changer with a auxilery input. then plug in ur MD walkman (or what ever) via the headphone jack. and ta da, very high quality sound and change it asmuch as you want, no compatiblity probs like CD-Rs etc. dance

what you are after is a sony LONG PLAY Mini-Disc walkman, before LP there wasn' much point to a MD. now the 74/80min discs (smaller than a PC floppy disk) can hold either 2x (use tis for CDs u luv) or 4x (use this for so so CDs and radio) as their capacity!

the thing is the setup. best to have a:
car CD changer with aux in $300? (face unit only, no changer)
MD walkman - recordable LP $420 basic
audio sys at home with aux/CD out so you can record from the MD walkman.
or better still
MD mini hifi - recordable LP $600 basic
hi speed dubbing from CD to MD - digital blah blah

i bought a basic LP rec MD walkman in singapore for AUD$270. don't bother with the fancy ones, they do the same thing, trust me. and if you wait till sony are about to replace the models then you can pick one up for what i did in singapore! :D

then i waited a year or so till my mini-hifi kicked the bucket :( and saved to buy a new MD mini-HiFi and have an excellent setup! dance

but you can start with a car audio with aux in & a rec MD walkman. it took some time to get to the setup i have now but its great!

why dont' you try a new CD changer face with the old changer first, see if you get lucky???

Thanks for the responses people....greatly appreciated. :)

At the moment I don't think I have enough money to afford a new HU, but I think I will try the route of trying out different brands of CD-RWs...after all they are cheaper than a complete new HU.

The OE CD changer does work with the CD-Rs that I am using now...so that isn't a problem. Maybe I just buy a stash of really really cheap CD-Rs..so if they F@$K up...it doesn't matter.

Cheers
Billy cheers!

BW205:
Thanks for the responses people....greatly appreciated. :)

At the moment I don't think I have enough money to afford a new HU, but I think I will try the route of trying out different brands of CD-RWs...after all they are cheaper than a complete new HU.

The OE CD changer does work with the CD-Rs that I am using now...so that isn't a problem. Maybe I just buy a stash of really really cheap CD-Rs..so if they F@$K up...it doesn't matter.

Cheers
Billy cheers!
just don't put cheap labels on them as they have a tendancy to come off
makes it difficult to get the CD back out of the unit then
also some of the labels seem to insulate heat in the CD so i have been told and they tend to explode leaving little shards of CD everywhere
i have seen a few explode even without labels on them and it's not a pretty sight
sharp little beggars they are too