aftermarket head unit

pugrambo
[/qb]
just don't put cheap labels on them as they have a tendancy to come off
makes it difficult to get the CD back out of the unit then
also some of the labels seem to insulate heat in the CD so i have been told and they tend to explode leaving little shards of CD everywhere
i have seen a few explode even without labels on them and it's not a pretty sight
sharp little beggars they are too[/QB][/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are speaking from experience... :D

Cheers
Billy

i see it a lot in PC's

you would suprised on how many ROM's i have had in here with CD's that have exploded
have seen it in a car a couple of times
never mine though i am too careful for any of that to happen to me

Its funny how they break up in to about a million pieces, we had a customer who had a slot loading dvd drive and had a CD explode and cut his leg eek!

I have an MP3 head unit, and it has been faultless...

It reads any disc I put in it without any problems, cdr brand/quality, cdrw....no folder level issues, never had to reset it etc.

You can rarely hear any quality issues in a 205 (above the rattles etc).....it might bug me in a quieter car though :D

I'm not conviced by minidisc,
-players are expensive,
-media is expensive (vs cdrs/cdrw)
-media compatibility sucks...minidisc only....(vs mp3 cds can be played in most DVD players, computers and alot of discmans these days etc)
-Copying is slow (vs writing or rw on cd)
-Minidisc is also a compressed format, so even at it's best, it is slightly lower quality than an original CD....and gets worse on long play
-capacity is low (vs mp3 on CD)

Having an ipod or something rolling around in the car with a cord running to the headunit sucks....

I'm really waiting for a car docking station like setup for a HD based mp3/aac/wmf/etc player (like the Ipod etc).....that will rock....

PUG309:
Its funny how they break up in to about a million pieces, we had a customer who had a slot loading dvd drive and had a CD explode and cut his leg eek!
they are dangerous things

i always make sure i have customers machines facing away from me when working on them
i don't trust any of them
tray drives aren't too bad but still not trustworthy

renn_205:
ever tried a Mini-Disc

don't get a car MD-player or changer, way too 2_cents !!! get a cd player or changer with a auxilery input. then plug in ur MD walkman (or what ever) via the headphone jack. and ta da, very high quality sound and change it asmuch as you want, no compatiblity probs like CD-Rs etc.
I like the idea (although I have an iPod) but it seems to be very hard these days to get a head unit with the aux input jack on them, ie. stereo mini plug

For iPod owners.. we all need one of THESE:

<a href="http://icelink.densionusa.com/" target="_blank">http://icelink.densionusa.com/</a>

<a href="http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/ICE-Link.html" target="_blank">http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/ICE-Link.html</a>

It treats your iPod as a CD Changer for MOST OEM and aftermarket audio systems, including Peugeot 206/307/406, Citroen C3/C5 systems.

Solves the problem of MP3 (because iPod can use AAC) and solves the problem of having to use an FM Transmitter like I used to.

Derek.

That thing sounds bloody awesome.

Shame it's so expensive though!

I wonder if it supplies power to the iPod as well?

How come the head units were fitted in australia, not france when they come out the factory???

Cya Stalled

purrr-geot said:
Hey BW205
A little word of advice on mp3 head units.
I couldnt wait to get my hands on a mp3 HU, i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

However today (5 months on) i never listen to any mp3 cd's, due to it's poor quality. Im finding that alot of people with mp3 HU are finding it hard to play 192kb or higher quality mp3's without it stuffing up!! eek! :confused:

If you want good quality tunez stay away from mp3.

regards
asanka cheers!

Yeah, why spend heaps on a good system and then feed it crap quality MP3...I have a decent system Pioneer HU/Clarion amp/boston splits in the front and VDO 8" 3 ways in da back, and it just exsaerbated the poor quality of MP3's.

SLC206 said:
I like the idea (although I have an iPod) but it seems to be very hard these days to get a head unit with the aux input jack on them, ie. stereo mini plug
Actually, more and more head units are coming with an Aux input. Most of the Eclipse range have them. A good installer will feed the RCA lead into the glovebox for you so you can have you MD or MP3 player hidden away. I use a tape deck adapter in my car at the moment, as I can't be arsed putting in my stereo at the moment. It's a crap solution as the noise levels are high.

Re: the original post, I'd just get a new changer and MP3 head unit, they're not THAT expensive now.

Oh, and I'm a fan of mini disc too. I think playing around with playlists would be a major pain in the bum whilst driving. A hard disc is still a much more convenient and safer thing to be doing whilst driving, I reckon.

renn_205 said:
ever tried a Mini-Disc

the best thing i ever bought i tell, you it sounds like just what ur looking for. although an ipod is good too. MD is my absoulte reccomendation don't bother with anyhting else.

they can have upto 5hrs on one disc :D , totally re-recordable, move and erase tracks, rename, blah blah blah.

don't get a car MD-player or changer, way too 2_cents !!! get a cd player or changer with a auxilery input. then plug in ur MD walkman (or what ever) via the headphone jack. and ta da, very high quality sound and change it asmuch as you want, no compatiblity probs like CD-Rs etc. dance

what you are after is a sony LONG PLAY Mini-Disc walkman, before LP there wasn' much point to a MD. now the 74/80min discs (smaller than a PC floppy disk) can hold either 2x (use tis for CDs u luv) or 4x (use this for so so CDs and radio) as their capacity!

the thing is the setup. best to have a:
car CD changer with aux in $300? (face unit only, no changer)
MD walkman - recordable LP $420 basic
audio sys at home with aux/CD out so you can record from the MD walkman.
or better still
MD mini hifi - recordable LP $600 basic
hi speed dubbing from CD to MD - digital blah blah

i bought a basic LP rec MD walkman in singapore for AUD$270. don't bother with the fancy ones, they do the same thing, trust me. and if you wait till sony are about to replace the models then you can pick one up for what i did in singapore! :D

then i waited a year or so till my mini-hifi kicked the bucket :( and saved to buy a new MD mini-HiFi and have an excellent setup! dance

but you can start with a car audio with aux in & a rec MD walkman. it took some time to get to the setup i have now but its great!

why dont' you try a new CD changer face with the old changer first, see if you get lucky???

I found an MD player in the car was a constant pain!, everytime i downloaded new music I had to copy it over to MD (before net MD) so it was in real time!! ,i have an MP3 HU now and its great, just burn the MP3's to CDR and whack it in the car and your set for the whole trip :)

GTI124 said:
Re: the original post, I'd just get a new changer and MP3 head unit, they're not THAT expensive now.

Oh, and I'm a fan of mini disc too. I think playing around with playlists would be a major pain in the bum whilst driving. A hard disc is still a much more convenient and safer thing to be doing whilst driving, I reckon.

I am a huge fan of mini disc as well. I've owned a couple of portable recorders, and an in-dash changer/head unit that I never bothered to install. Although these days, with hard disks and CD burners so cheap, MD is being sidelined.

Sony Central at Chatswood have been advertising for the last couple of weeks an MD head unit for $299 installed, which is awesome value. They've probably got a couple sitting around that they can't sell. If I still had my portable MD recorder, I'd probably have taken up their offer by now.

NZ_Mi16 said:
I found an MD player in the car was a constant pain!, everytime i downloaded new music I had to copy it over to MD (before net MD) so it was in real time!! ,i have an MP3 HU now and its great, just burn the MP3's to CDR and whack it in the car and your set for the whole trip :)

I feel for you buddy....that is what I do for the 205 cos I have MD HU in the 205.....

Cheers
Billy