Gti 180 review, you may not like

bad_karma

Fellow Frogger
Hey fellas

Heres a gti 180 review and man I have a beef with it!!!!! :censored::mad:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_2192/article.html

The reviewer from heirin will be referred to as a mong has some interesting comments about the car. Now I am not sooking because I own a gti 180, but the cardigan wearing, colostomy bag totting mong, rekons the ride matches that of an evo 6.5 or sti.

I have had the joy of jumping in a wrx done up like an sti and I can honestly attest that this guy is full of crap (maybe he should empty his bag).

And the comment that the car basically sucks in comparison with the older gti really makes me laugh.

Now I am not bagging the stock gti, in fact I think its an awesome car but to come out and say that the 180 is unbearable after a 50 kay trip makes me think that some of these reviewers should stay away from reviewing performance cars. At one point the mong chooses to bag the car because the ride is a bit to harsh for his deriere, MATE TAKE SOME HAEMORRHOID CREAM TO FIX YOUR PROBLEM!!! dont bash the car!!!!

:mad:

Breathe in, Breathe out.......

And we've talked about it on here. Of course, you could always head over to the 206 list and see blind faith in practise.

GTI124 said:
And we've talked about it on here. Of course, you could always head over to the 206 list and see blind faith in practise.
Is there a Phord list ??? Can't see them being any less parochial ... they have the racing taxi's after all. :roflmao:

- XTC206 -

XTC206 said:
Is there a Phord list ??? Can't see them being any less parochial ... they have the racing taxi's after all. :roflmao:

- XTC206 -

Yeah there is. And it's dead, because that's all that ever happens. AF is one of the most balanced forums out there in regard to other marques.... well, it used to be...

It's good to see that I'm not the only one with differing opinion to this reviewer. But in all honesty, I wish that they would stop handing falcadore reviwers cars such and expecting them to write something informative about em.

This is the review they should have used;

Autospeed said:
So what’s wrong with the GTi 180? For some drivers, nothing.
Autospeed said:
And the 180 GTi, with stiffer springs, slightly different front-end alignment settings (including 5.5mm toe-out!), upsized anti-roll bars and speed-sensitive power steering, handles very well.
Autospeed said:
As with all Peugeots, the steering is simply superb.
Autospeed said:
the dampers continue to be very well matched to the springs and even on tough patched and broken bitumen, the 205/40 P7000 Pirellis hang on determinedly.
Autospeed said:
For its price, the 206 GTi is extraordinarily well equipped with climate control and the previously mentioned ABS, traction control and stability control systems. But it’s also got rain-sensing windscreen wipers, six airbags, leather-and-Alcantara sports seats and a trip computer. The only shortcomings are the lack of a centre rear head restraint and the uncarpeted rear seat back - it's likely to get quickly scratched by cargo. However we doubt there’s a better equipped small car around for $34,990
Autospeed said:
If your idea of a ballistic small car is to get the cooking model and then fit bloody hard suspension, big wheels with low profile tyres, a big exhaust and new cams, we’re sure that you’ll see nothing wrong with the GTi 180. In fact, you’ll see a lot that is right – just look at that price!

Well said Brenno. This is what we've all been trying to say. The review has some very good points to say about the car. It's not perfect and that's what the other comments are that Brenno didn't quote.

Julian is not a "falcadore" reviewer, bad_karma. If you have read his work, he's anything BUT this. As I've said before in previous threads on this article, what exactly do you disagree with in this article? How carefully did you read this article before posting this thread?

I think you missed my point. As has been pointed out numerous times before, Julian has a reputation for writing well-rounded, incredibly honest reviews. I don't agree with some of the things he says either but I certainly respect his views.

There are some manufacturers that point-blank refuse to give him a car. Notice he had to rent a Falcon for the latest test, presumably because Ford won't let him review cars after he rubbished the way FTE cars were built.

Journalism like this should be encouraged. When was the last time you read a Wheels/Motor article where they really delved into the negatives of a car? I've got some Wheels mags from the 60's and it is really interesting to see how different things were back then. If there were some bad points about the car, you'd know about it.

I've been driven in a 180 and did notice the hard suspension. Why does it need to be so hard? Why did Peugeot decide to discard the reputation they had: Good riding cars with awesome dynamics. My 306 had it downpat. Nan's 405 was fantastic in this respect. Why does our 307 have such an unrefined ride and lacklustre dynamics then?

The 180 obviously has some wicked cornering abilities but why should that come as a sacrifice to ride quality?

I've done about 3000 kms in a new MX5 recently and the ride is amazing for a car of its capabilities. The Astra SRiT and Focus ST170 both have great dynamics blended with a comfortable ride. I'd mention the Citroen Xsara VTS but I've never driven one....although I'd reckon it would have the compromise sorted.

I'm pretty sure this is what Julian is referring to.

Its all opinion.

I like the hard ride, in fact I find the seats make it a lot more comfortable luckily. I would substitute the extra little bit of comfort for the cornering. However, I think the issue is that the roads the car is driven on here are less than perfect for the car. So its something you either accept or buy another car. Its all good.

I think the thing with the review isnt so much that it doesnt state some good points, I think its how it is written that probably leaves a little bit of :rolleyes: . If you read between the lines there certainly are some positives, but they are hidden amongst a little tongue and cheek. So I think maybe take it a little less seriouslly and re read it.

Not everyone has to like the authors work, and some dont, and for those that do well and good. I wouldnt worry about it, its just his opinion, who really cares?

Smokey, the roads around France are very similar to the roads around here. That's why French cars are so highly revered in Australia, because they handle our crap twisty roads with suitable aplomb. But here is a new hot hatch French car that rides hard. It begs the question, what happened?

And you can't say that it needs to be that hard, as one drive in my ST170 or a GTi6 will show you that a multilink rear end or a simple torsion bar suspension can still deliver an awesome ride and sensational handling.

This is the issue, and it's not just an opinion, it's fact. The car rides harder than previous hot French cars. Yes, you may like it, and there's nothing wrong with it in isolation, but if you're looking at a marque and what it produces, it's fair for a journo/french enthusiasts to bring it up. And we do care, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about it.

bad_karma said:
It's good to see that I'm not the only one with differing opinion to this reviewer. But in all honesty, I wish that they would stop handing falcadore reviwers cars such and expecting them to write something informative about em.

Oh for f@$ks sake Jim, get out there and drive your car rather than breaking your nails over a review. It's quite poor form bad mouthing a reviewer who you've only read one review from and know nothing about. To be honest, I think the '180 is a fantastic car, but the fact remains that almost every review I've read in it from various mags, the reviewers don't rate it highly. Some people keep mentioning aussie vs euro reviews and the euro reviews being positive and the aussie ones not so good, but I'm yet to see this. The aussie review I read (Motor mag) was quite a positive review. The several Euro reviews I've read ranged from lukewarm (Autocar) to highly scathing (Evo mag).

I first rode as a passenger in a '180 with 2 other people and the ride felt very well damped and not at all harsh. The next time, I drove a demo gti180 and the ride significantly firmer. Who knows why, my perception? I don't know??

The first time I drove a gti6, it drove like crap. It had decent power but the handling, tramlining, chassis flex was terrible. I couldn't believe this was the car that journos raved about. I later found out that particular car had previously gone over the side of a cliff and written-off then rebuilt.

Coming up with ludicrous theories that this reviewer is biased towards aussie cars doesn't exactly make sense when the same reviewer was highly positive in his review of the 206gti. Y'know..the porsche 911 GT3 RS is more powerful, better handling, more expensive and in the right hands, is ALWAYS going to be quicker than the stock 911. But some people (not me though) are always going to prefer the stock 911 over it. I personally don't think they're mongs.

Hey fellas

Okay nerves have been tingled here.... One of the reasons that I went on a sledging spree is that from what I could see, the bugger was nit picking. True the ride is a bit harsh but to say its up there with an evo makinnen is really pushing the friendship.

Secondly I have noticed that this reviewer seems to give gloing reviews on holden vehicles. Again I dont think holden's suck, but I wouldn't go as far as sayinmg they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Have a look in this months motor magazine and see the 180 vs the mg 160 comparo and you'll see what I mean.... :smile:

Point 1, fair enough. You don't agree with the ride comment. Thanks.

Point 2. He has given the Astra Turbo a good review and is very detailed. What's wrong with an Astra Turbo? From a pure dynamic and power perspective it's a brilliant car. It's let down with it's interior and as I recall from Julian's review, he states the negatives as well. It's a very long review so perhaps the good points are standing out more as he repeats himself. Have you spent much time in an Astra Turbo, or are you referring to a different Holden article he has written?

who cares what what was written. its his write to have an opinion. if you think its justified, cool, if not oh well. So at the end of the day, who cares what the author wrote, i mean its not worth a debate (again) over. Just read it.

I certainly dont rate it and wont be reading any more, mainly due to the "Originally Posted by Autospeed: The claimed 0-100 is 7.4 seconds but we never got close to that, with our times at least a second (and often even more) slower." comment. This suggests the 180 to be the same if not slower than the 206GTi. So for me it simply makes me wonder about the rest of it, which I think is fair enough.

At the end of the day peoples opinions are theirs, there is no point trying to pressure other people into believing otherwise (and is poor to do so), so I reckon just state what you dont like about the review or any other, and leave it at that, I dont think its fair to criticise people for having an opinion. Stick to the review, not what other people think of the review. :)

Last edited:
smokey said:
who cares what what was written. its his write to have an opinion. if you think its justified, cool, if not oh well. So at the end of the day, who cares what the author wrote, i mean its not worth a debate (again) over. Just read it.

I certainly dont rate it and wont be reading any more, mainly due to the "Originally Posted by Autospeed: The claimed 0-100 is 7.4 seconds but we never got close to that, with our times at least a second (and often even more) slower." comment. This suggests the 180 to be the same if not slower than the 206GTi. So for me it simply makes me wonder about the rest of it, which I think is fair enough.

At the end of the day peoples opinions are theirs, there is no point trying to pressure other people into believing otherwise (and is poor to do so), so I reckon just state what you dont like about the review or any other, and leave it at that, I dont think its fair to criticise people for having an opinion. Stick to the review, not what other people think of the review. :)

I'm not having a go at your opinion, sorry if it has come across this way. I'm interested to hear what your opinion is of the review at a more detailed level. Thanks for clarifying.

thats cool dude, wasnt targetting you either. I just meant in general, I have been guilty of it too. I think sometimes we just get so caught up its hard to focus :cheers:

I reckon we should just say what we dont like or like about reviews, cause really its just someones opinion.

Last edited:
perhaps there hasnt been enough hot hatches in aus for reviewers to understand what they are about?

would be interesting to read some reviews from NZ. Spent some time there, and hot hatches are a dime a dozen. Use to drive a starlet gt, familia gtx, pulsar gtir (all of which cost a lot less than imports do here I might add).

I think the kiwis have a good idea on what is a hot hatch, even if they arent euro. Although the reviews maybe biased towards faster hatches.

EDIT

I think this road test is pretty fair, accept for the stupid comment about the reanults, lol.

http://xtramsn.co.nz/motoring/0,,6429-2897333,00.html

Last edited:
jester_fu said:
As for the MX5.. really, do you know a hair dresser or something?? :roflmao: .

Shite O' fu' the car guru you sure know a lot about cars, even ones you haven't driven.

Hi fellas

Didn't mean to get fists flying here. I was justing pointing out things in the review I found wierd with what I consider not much holding in terms of a scientific basis (the 0-100 kay time in which the author questions the manufacturers claimed times). This is especially wierd considering that other aussie scribes have been able to achieve the quoted times.

Now it maybe the case that he ws handed a fiday 4pm car and that's all he could get. From the article it didn't seem to me that he chased it up with peugeot to see if it was the case. Maybe he did, but it wasn't quoted and I find that a bit unusual since other reviews do note that.

I guess the thing that I was looking for in his article was less subjectivety and more hard facts. I have had a conversatin withh jude on this and I reckon that I did come down on him like a tonne of bricks, but I simply believ there was not enough scientific analysis behind his review to back up what he felt. Nothing more, nothing less. :2cents: